Brewer Fanatic

Cain DFA'd.... Jonathan Davis contract selected

Jastro

On 6/18/2022 at 1:04 PM, Jastro said:

I know I've been advocating for it relentlessly, but I do have this empty feeling in my stomach knowing that it's actually happened now. Cain has been such a great player and representative for this franchise and it'll be weird not seeing his smiling face on the field or in the dugout. Best wishes in retirement, Lorenzo, and we'll see you in a few years or so when you're inducted into the Brewers Wall of Honor. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

His time here teeters on disappointment for me but he did just enough to probably avoid that label. He was outstanding in 2018 and his glove bailed him out in 2019... After that it was pretty rough. 

Last year was solid, too. He just completely fell off a cliff this year. But I don't think there's any doubt he earned his deal. His 2018 was MVP-type stuff and was a big reason we made it to game 7 of the NLCS. Then, in 2019, his glove was the stuff of legends, as represented by his game-saving home run robbery to close out the victory on opening day against the Cardinals. 

For what he was earning I would have liked the OPS to be around .800 but the guy was 35.  It was hard to tell with him always grimacing but it felt like the body really started to fail him last season. He was OK last year, but missed a ton of time. One of those deals where the first year and a half looked like a bargain and the back-end imploded worse than they'd probably built into the contract. There have been far worse contracts, but I also felt like there was a bit of buyers remorse causing some to overstate how much his glove compensated for lack of offense. 

Good player, very likable guy, but it was time.

• Like 2

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Sad but inevitable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

8 minutes ago, Thurston Fluff said:

Guess my wait to see if we can recoup some of his salary in a trade as spot on. Does anyone know how much we have to eat in salary?

They have to pay all of it unless he's traded or something but it sounds like all parties arrived at this together and he is going to retire. He said he'll give it a day or two but he sure sounded like a guy who is done. The Brewers did him a solid by allowing the year of service to accumulate thereby guaranteeing full salary and max pension. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thurston Fluff said:

Guess my wait to see if we can recoup some of his salary in a trade was spot on. Does anyone know how much we have to eat in salary?

If he were to say, retire next week, are we in the hook for remaining money?

Oof.  I understand it, but this move hurts.  Lorenzo is special enough so losing him in the Greinke trade was a big sting for me.  Thus I was extra delighted at his return in 2018. 

Enjoy your THREE KID$, Lo.  You've earned your success and deserve a rest.

• Like 2
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

They have to pay all of it unless he's traded or something but it sounds like all parties arrived at this together and he is going to retire. He said he'll give it a day or two but he sure sounded like a guy who is done. The Brewers did him a solid by allowing the year of service to accumulate thereby guaranteeing full salary and max pension. 

Yea, I was wondering what his salary was this season. It appears to be $17,000,000. That is a lot of money to eat. Even if it is just the prorated portion.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Count me as also expecting the designated veteran bench mascot. And with the DH a 5th OF type doesn't need to see a whole lot of playing time. So I'm a little sad as well, I wonder how much discussion there might have been ahead of this with Cain directly. I'm also kind of surprised he just hit the 10 year mark in service time.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

Didn't know this but today was the day he reached 10 years of service and thus was guaranteed maximum pension. So they waited for that to DFA.

That was really classy of the Brewers to wait until he reached 10 years...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Wow. I DID NOT see this coming. I thought he'd become Designated Veteran Bench Mascot but didn't expect to see a DFA in June.

Does MLB have a limit on the number of bench coaches?

I'm sorry but will not remember him fondly.  Paid $80 million for 1 good year.  He was already injury prone and he does absolutely nothing to stay in shape in 2020.  No surprise that he broke down last year.  Pretty obvious that he was just playing for the money this year.

• Like 2
  • Disagree 2

9 minutes ago, bork said:

I'm sorry but will not remember him fondly.  Paid $80 million for 1 good year.  He was already injury prone and he does absolutely nothing to stay in shape in 2020.  No surprise that he broke down last year.  Pretty obvious that he was just playing for the money this year.

The cost of 1 win in WAR over the last few years is around $9-10 million. Cain produced 11.5 in WAR over the course of his latest tenure with the Brewers, including this season. So, purely by the numbers, we got what we paid for and more. 

• Like 7
  • WHOA SOLVDD 1

12 minutes ago, bork said:

The Brewers received a little over 11 rWAR for that $80m, which is about in line with expectations of free agent spending versus performance.

Obviously, one hopes for better than that in an FA deal but that’s how they usually shake out.

But Cain was worth about $30m in the first year of the deal so that feels like a really long time ago.