Brewer Fanatic

Article: Crew Throwback: Charlie Moore

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The names, faces and stories from the era are legendary to Brewer fans: Stormin' Gorman, Coop, The Igniter, Benji, Vuke, Moose, The Kid, Gumby, Fingers' mustache, Caldwell's 'sinker' (aka spitball) and others. But for all the team's greatness, one long time Brewer often gets forgotten. And that is catcher/outfielder Charlie Moore - who spent 14 seasons (yes, 14!) with the club.

Charlie Moore was born in 1953 in Birmingham, Alabama. He was a 5th round pick by Milwaukee in 1971 out of the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He was a catcher with all-around, if unspectacular, skills. He moved quickly through the Brewer system, reaching Milwaukee for a cup of coffee in 1973. In 1974, the 21 year old served as the reserve catcher behind Darrell Porter. He held that position for eight years, generally getting 250-350 ABs each year. During that time, he showed the ability to hit for average (.290+ four different times), but not much power. 

Throughout his career, Moore showed good contact skills, striking out only 10% of his at bats. His finest season as a catcher was 1979 when he hit .300 in 111 games.

In 1980, the Brewers acquired all-star catcher Ted Simmons from the Cardinals (along with Pete Vukovich and Rollie Fingers). The move caused the Brewers to rethink Moore's role with the club, and by 1981 they were experimenting with him in RF, a position where they were lacking a capable starter.

In 1982, Moore made the shift from catcher to full time outfielder, and helped the Brewers reach the World Series. His play was nothing special, but on a team littered with all-stars, he quietly played the role required of him. He provided solid defense in RF, got on base, and was a steady presence in the clubhouse. In 1983, he played a career high 151 games while hitting a respectable .284 - walking more times than he struck out.

In 1985, Moore shifted back to catcher, where he played until 1986. In 1987, Moore went to Toronto for a final season before retiring.

Moore played 14 seasons for Milwaukee - topped only by Robin Yount, Jim Gantner and Paul Molitor. His 1,283 games rank 6th in team history, and his 1,029 hits is 10th on the team list. In 1980, he hit for the cycle. In postseason play he sports a robust .354 batting average. One other claim to fame: he was the last runner batted in by the great Hank Aaron (on October 3, 1976).

With his big league career behind him, Moore returned to his hometown of Birmingham, Alabama. He became a sales rep for Birmingham Fastener, Inc., a manufacturer of bolts and fasteners - for more than 15 years.

Charlie Moore is the classic organizational soldier. He was a quiet guy who went about his business without much fanfare. When the team needed a right fielder, he answered the call. Perhaps his biggest challenge was that he never did anything really well. He hit .261 for his career - not bad, but nothing special. He had modest power (only 36 career HR), and while he didn't strike out a lot, he didn't walk that much either (a career OBP of .319). His longevity with the team is probably his most defining trait.

Still, 14 seasons in Milwaukee earned Charlie Moore a place on the Brewers Wall of Fame, testifying to his contributions to the club.

Share your memories of former Brewer Charlie Moore.

View full article

My memories of Charlie Moore was that despite his lack of power, he was always a very tough out with the game on the line.  He sprayed the ball all over and was very difficult to defense and he often put good wood on in even against the best closers of the day.  I always felt confident with him up there late in games and he often came through.

Besides his throw to get Reggie at third in ALCS Game 5, I remember him for tearing up when his name was announced as he walked across Miller Park’s infield during the 25th anniversary celebration of the 82 team.   Crazy what you remember…

Who knew… 4th in team history for seasons played with ball club.

Charlie Moore is one of my all-time favorite Brewers

Funny connection: We actually dated sisters … but several years apart

I saw many of his games when he played for AA Shreveport Captains in the early 70’s … he was extremely kind to me 

I have an autographed picture of him (attached) from 1982 on my office wall

My wife created a replica of our older son when he was in little league

I’m actually in the bleachers in the Moore photo too

Charlie Moore had a cannon (like Renfroe) from RF

loved this article ?

A96EDC4E-9316-4045-B580-518740584A6A.jpeg

19 hours ago, JohnBriggs12 said:

My memories of Charlie Moore was that despite his lack of power, he was always a very tough out with the game on the line.  He sprayed the ball all over and was very difficult to defense and he often put good wood on in even against the best closers of the day.  I always felt confident with him up there late in games and he often came through.

He would be a great addition to the 2022 Brewers lineup for sure 

On 6/7/2022 at 2:55 PM, edfunderburk said:

I saw many of his games when he played for AA Shreveport Captains in the early 70’s … he was extremely kind to me 

loved this article ?

Man, this is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

On 6/7/2022 at 2:55 PM, edfunderburk said:

loved this article ?

Man, this is awesome. Thanks for sharing!