Brewer Fanatic

Brandon Woodruff Injury Discussion

Brewcrew82

7 hours ago, brewers888 said:

Between the Woodruff and Freddy injuries we might just have to face that this is not our year and plan accordingly. The pitching is clearly the only strength of this team and with that now in doubt we are just not good enough.

That's the spirit!

24 minutes ago, Opening Day said:

Anyone else more concerned than the Brewers seem to be about about this numbness issue?  Is this going to be a lingering issue?

I don’t know how concerned the Brewers are because their reactions are the same as for most injuries. 

He’s getting treatment and it’s getting better but no real idea how long it will take for him to be able to grip a baseball properly. If he were a placekicker or an accountant he’d be fine. But for a major league pitcher it could be awhile. 

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

The caution is that to be an effective major league pitcher Woodruff has to get back to 100%. Throwing 30 pitches with a few breaking balls thrown in is a long way from pitching effectively in a game. If the breaking ball doesn’t have its usual sharp movement it is going to get pounded by major league hitters.

If Woodruff can be back and effective by the All Star break that would be good. But, the nature of the finger problem, and the fact that he was not close to All Star form before the ankle injury, puts a damper on my expectations for what he’s going to contribute in the foreseeable future. 

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

15 minutes ago, djoctagone said:

More good news. If he continues to improve every day with the medication, as he stated in the video, it's not far-fetched to think that he could be going out on a rehab assignment within the next week or so. Starting to look like the end of the month/early July as far as a possible return date. Glad this is occurring at the beginning of summer as opposed to September/October with respect to the weather and "importance" of the games he is missing. 

On 6/14/2022 at 3:26 PM, Brewcrew82 said:

More good news. If he continues to improve every day with the medication, as he stated in the video, it's not far-fetched to think that he could be going out on a rehab assignment within the next week or so. Starting to look like the end of the month/early July as far as a possible return date. Glad this is occurring at the beginning of summer as opposed to September/October with respect to the weather and "importance" of the games he is missing. 

I’m curious about the statement in this article that Woodruff’s fingers are “as good as they’ve been and there’s no way of knowing if and when they’ll improve any more”. 

It also says that he’s still dealing with reduced circulation in his middle finger. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2022/06/24/milwaukee-brewers-pitcher-brandon-woodruff-returns-injury/7721330001/

Obviously, Woodruff returning to something resembling All Star form is a critical factor in the Brewers prospects in the second half of the season with the other problems with the starting rotation.