Brewer Fanatic

Reviewing Past Trades

Caratini for Brett Sullivan (.274/.349/.780 3HR AAA) and Korry Howell (.227/.407/.861 3 HR 8SB AA)

Alex Jackson (.203/.286/.640 ) for Hayden Cantrelle (.180/.311/.648 3 HR 6SB AA) and Alexis Rameriz

Hunter Renfroe for JBJ (.218/.278/.615 0.5 WAR) Alex Binelas (.274/.416/.956 10 HR A+) David Hamilton (.244/.329/.729 4 HR 18 SB AA)

JC Mejia for PTBNL or Cash

Mike Brosseau for Evan Riefert (21 ERA in 3 Inn AA)

2021 Season

John Curtiss (Mets Injured) for Payton Henry (.143/.314/.457 35 PA MLB)

Eduardo Escobar for Cooper Hummel (.190/.313/.658 2HR 2SB 99 PA MLB) and Alberto Ciprian (Rookie Ball?)

Kevin Kramer(FA?) for Nathan Kirby (2.76 ERA 16.1 inn 11k AAA)

Jandel Gustave and Troy Stokes (FA?) for Samuel Escodero (Dominican League)

Daniel Norris (5.54 era cubs) for Reece Olsen (3.6 era 35 inn 54 k 7bb AA)

Rowdy Tellez for Trevor Richards (4.34 era 18.2 inn 20 k Jays) and Bowden Francis (8.3 era 30.1 inn 30 k (.2 mlb innings) AAA)

Wily Adamas and Trevor Richards for Drew Rasmussen (2.33 era 38.2 inn 34 k 8 bb) and JP Feyerisian (0 era 20 inn 20 k)

The Daniel Norris trade is the only one I would say is really bad at this point and most are clear wins.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

Caratini for Brett Sullivan (.274/.349/.780 3HR AAA) and Korry Howell (.227/.407/.861 3 HR 8SB AA)

Alex Jackson (.203/.286/.640 ) for Hayden Cantrelle (.180/.311/.648 3 HR 6SB AA) and Alexis Rameriz

Hunter Renfroe for JBJ (.218/.278/.615 0.5 WAR) Alex Binelas (.274/.416/.956 10 HR A+) David Hamilton (.244/.329/.729 4 HR 18 SB AA)

JC Mejia for PTBNL or Cash

Mike Brosseau for Evan Riefert (21 ERA in 3 Inn AA)

2021 Season

John Curtiss (Mets Injured) for Payton Henry (.143/.314/.457 35 PA MLB)

Eduardo Escobar for Cooper Hummel (.190/.313/.658 2HR 2SB 99 PA MLB) and Alberto Ciprian (Rookie Ball?)

Kevin Kramer(FA?) for Nathan Kirby (2.76 ERA 16.1 inn 11k AAA)

Jandel Gustave and Troy Stokes (FA?) for Samuel Escodero (Dominican League)

Daniel Norris (5.54 era cubs) for Reece Olsen (3.6 era 35 inn 54 k 7bb AA)

Rowdy Tellez for Trevor Richards (4.34 era 18.2 inn 20 k Jays) and Bowden Francis (8.3 era 30.1 inn 30 k (.2 mlb innings) AAA)

Wily Adamas and Trevor Richards for Drew Rasmussen (2.33 era 38.2 inn 34 k 8 bb) and JP Feyerisian (0 era 20 inn 20 k)

The Daniel Norris trade is the only one I would say is really bad at this point and most are clear wins.

I don't really know if teams "win" or "lose" trades like these; there are too many variables. Most of these are what I would call a "push" trading spare parts for rentals, role players and/or organizational depth. 

For example, Caratini has become the personal catcher for Burnes, but otherwise he's a prototypical journeyman back up catcher: closing in on 29 and with his 4th organization since turning pro. Of the two players traded to get Caratini, Brett Sullivan is already 28 and a seven year pro, who has yet to debut in the majors,  and Howell has decent hitting stats in the low minor leagues, but originally was a 12th round pick. 

I think the Brewers are happy with Adames and Tellez and would do those trades over again, but there's a fair chance Rasmussen, Feyereisen, (and Richards to a lesser extent) will likely produce more WAR with their teams than Adames and Tellez will with Milwaukee. Which isn't a dig at Adames or Tellez, rather it is a byproduct of those other players having significantly more team control remaining before free agency (4 more years each for Rasmussen and Feyereisen vs. 2  more years for Tellez and Adames). 

There are a lot of nothing for nothing trades or a bunch that you can't call wins or losses for 4 or 5 years with young prospects. However, I agree that a trade like Adames or the 1/2 year rentals at the deadlines  are win-win type deals.

The only clear loss is the Norris and the only seemingly win (at this point) is Brosseau and Gustave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
42 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

There are a lot of nothing for nothing trades or a bunch that you can't call wins or losses for 4 or 5 years with young prospects. However, I agree that a trade like Adames or the 1/2 year rentals at the deadlines  are win-win type deals.

The only clear loss is the Norris and the only seemingly win (at this point) is Brosseau and Gustave

If Olson doesn't turn out to be anything, the Norris deal is a clear nothing burger. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 9:47 AM, Jopal78 said:

I think the Brewers are happy with Adames and Tellez and would do those trades over again, but there's a fair chance Rasmussen, Feyereisen, (and Richards to a lesser extent) will likely produce more WAR with their teams than Adames and Tellez will with Milwaukee. Which isn't a dig at Adames or Tellez, rather it is a byproduct of those other players having significantly more team control remaining before free agency (4 more years each for Rasmussen and Feyereisen vs. 2  more years for Tellez and Adames). 

This is true, but we also need to take into account the improvement the Brewers made with those trades, compared to how hard it was to replace the players they gave up, and the impact those trades made upon their ability to make the post season.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I've been meaning to look back at all of Stearns trades to see if there's anyone he gave up that could really be helping the team right now. Grisham had one great year but has been meh to bad since. Feyerisian and Rasmussen have been great but I think we need Adames more than more relievers. Maybe there's others but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Dumping Phil Bickford for nothing may be his biggest regret so far.

• Like 1