Brewer Fanatic

Hunter Renfroe injury discussion

Pugger

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
14 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

Would David Dahl or Jonathan Davis be the replacement from AAA? I would guess that Cutch could spend some time in the OF and get Keston more AB's as well.

Dahl if they want a power threat. Davis is more of a CF slap-hittter. 

Agreed that we'll likely see more Cutch in the OF, and more opportunities for Keston. Those guys will really need to step up, as Renfroe is arguably the team's best hitter right now.

2 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Jace is at a .262 average and .340 OBP over his last 15 games. They could do much, much worse for a fill-in.

On the surface, yeah I would be content with that slash line even with Peterson being a negative defensively in the outfield. That said, it's a problem if those at bats come at the expense of Hiura atbats...and they will. Hiura is probably no worse than Peterson out there who is definitely below average. 

5 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Jace is at a .262 average and .340 OBP over his last 15 games. They could do much, much worse for a fill-in.

I know it's my illogical dislike of the amount that Jace plays, but if we are only going to look at the last 15 games played shouldn't Mike Brosseau be getting all Jace's at bats?

.375 average, .459 OBP, and .500 slugging

Sorry, back to Renfroe's injury discussion.

Just now, KeithStone53151 said:

On the surface, yeah I would be content with that slash line even with Peterson being a negative defensively in the outfield. That said, it's a problem if those at bats come at the expense of Hiura atbats...and they will. Hiura is probably no worse than Peterson out there who is definitely below average. 

I would disagree with that. Hiura is going to be atrocious wherever you have to play him defensively. Peterson is definitely a better 2B/3B than he is an OF, but he's certainly not terrible out there. You need a strong arm in RF. Jace has that. Keston doesn't. Still, my guess would be that Cutch sees most of the time in RF, with Taylor filling in when he's not in CF. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bensheeps said:

I know it's my illogical dislike of the amount that Jace plays, but if we are only going to look at the last 15 games played shouldn't Mike Brosseau be getting all Jace's at bats?

.375 average, .459 OBP, and .500 slugging

Sorry, back to Renfroe's injury discussion.

With how the Brewers value versatility, Brosseau should probably be getting all of Cain's ABs. Just go with a OF/DH group of Yelich/Taylor/Cutch/Hiura/Peterson with Cain mixing in with the hope that he finds his stroke. 

I’m expecting a Pablo Reyes call-up - hottest bat in AAA Nashville. Terrific OPS against lefties (1.015 though just 33 PAs). Been playing a mix of infield/outfield. Already on 40-man MLB roster.

A similar case for Mark Mathias could be made (1.022 OPS in 26 PAs against lefties), though he’s not on the 40-man roster and hasn’t been playing outfield this year.

Verified Member

If Renfroe goes on the IL and they don't call up David Dahl it will be a travesty. I'm excited to see what Dahl can do. He has one of the highest upsides of anyone in the entire system and is finally hitting well again. He also favors RHP so is a perfect complement to McCutchen. He might even be our answer in CF if he comes up and hits well. (Yelich-Dahl-Renfroe)

54 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

I would disagree with that. Hiura is going to be atrocious wherever you have to play him defensively. Peterson is definitely a better 2B/3B than he is an OF, but he's certainly not terrible out there. You need a strong arm in RF. Jace has that. Keston doesn't. Still, my guess would be that Cutch sees most of the time in RF, with Taylor filling in when he's not in CF. 

Not excited to see either Hiura or Peterson in the outfield but Keston has no business whatsoever playing outfield.

I can't see them bringing up another utility type, Reyes and Mathias are worthy but not much OF help. Dahl seems the logical fit being a lefty and experienced. I agree Peterson would get a fair share of the playing time.

5 hours ago, KeithStone53151 said:

What's most likely is we see a lot more Jace Peterson in the outfield...unfortunately. CC has an obsession.

Every manager seemingly has favorites on the bench whom they pencil in all over the diamond.  Before Peterson it was Hernan Perez and Eric Sogard. Ron Roenicke had a thing for Elian Herrera, Yuniesky Betancourt, and Ken Macha gave Counsell nearly 700 plate appearances. The Brewers aren't unique in this endeavor.

6 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

Every manager seemingly has favorites on the bench whom they pencil in all over the diamond.  Before Peterson it was Hernan Perez and Eric Sogard. Ron Roenicke had a thing for Elian Herrera, Yuniesky Betancourt, and Ken Macha gave Counsell nearly 700 plate appearances. The Brewers aren't unique in this endevo 

That's fair, doesn't mean I have to like it, agree with it, or most importantly...that it's the best decision. You've provided pretty good support that it is in fact NOT the best decision.

4 hours ago, brewers888 said:

Can we please avoid the proven AAAA journeyman types like Reyes and Mathias and go with Dahl who at least has had some major league success and potential upside as a former highly regarded prospect. 

Not even advocating for him, but Mathias had a solid first year in AAA, followed by 16 middling games in the chaos that was 2020 and then an entire season missed because of injury. Can you really say he is "proven" to be any one thing?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brewers888 said:

Can we please avoid the proven AAAA journeyman types like Reyes and Mathias and go with Dahl who at least has had some major league success and potential upside as a former highly regarded prospect. 

Mathias has been with two organizations (Cleveland and Milwaukee), was passable and versatile as a rookie in 2020, would have seen plenty of time last year if not for the injury, is tearing it up in AAA this year, and in the prime years of his career.  He's my choice for the first call.

I’m totally cool with Mathias being the call up. Guessing we will also see more of McCutchen in the OF for the next few weeks, which is obviously not optimal. I do hope, however, that it leads to more at bats for Hiura, particularly against right handers.