Brewer Fanatic

Article: Nashville Hitters to Rescue the Brewers’ Struggling Offense?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If any of these guys get a shot (discounting injury), my guess is Dahl. The Brewers love to give LHH outfielders who have had some MLB success a trial run, and if Renfroe doesn't start hitting, Dahl is an easy swap against right-handers. He's a solid defender in the corners, with the capability of playing CF in a pinch. He could also see some time at DH. 

If any of these guys get a shot (discounting injury), my guess is Dahl. The Brewers love to give LHH outfielders who have had some MLB success a trial run, and if Renfroe doesn't start hitting, Dahl is an easy swap against right-handers. He's a solid defender in the corners, with the capability of playing CF in a pinch. He could also see some time at DH. 

4 minutes ago, Frisbee Slider said:

Is it more likely Valerio or Weimer gets a call up before a hitter from Nashville? Can Valerio play more than 2B? If Rowdy got hurt, I definitely think Singleton would get his shot.

Urias hopefully is healthy soon.

I doubt that the Brewers are going to want to start the arby clocks on any of their true prospects unless those guys were going to play a substantial role. 

Is it more likely Valerio or Weimer gets a call up before a hitter from Nashville? Can Valerio play more than 2B? If Rowdy got hurt, I definitely think Singleton would get his shot.

I doubt that the Brewers are going to want to start the arby clocks on any of their true prospects unless those guys were going to play a substantial role. 

15 hours ago, damuelle said:

Weston should have more to offer as a future big leaguer than Nate Orf did back in the day, while I believe that Singleton, Dahl and White are more talented than our customary AAA set.

Weston Wilson I think would have so much better of a shot if he was a left handed hitter. I don't know how good his glove is at positions but I believe he plays in a lot of spots. So theoretically as a LH bat he could compete with what Jace is providing if he ever struggles and Jace sees a pretty fair amount of playing time. As a RH bat he's really competing with Hiura/Brosseau for playing time when Tellez/Wong don't play(Yelich too but there's about 30 million reasons he won't sit much). Hiura has just way too much potential to not get all the playing time that those 2 guys don't get at those 2 spots, and Brosseau doesn't really see much playing time as is.

Weston should have more to offer as a future big leaguer than Nate Orf did back in the day, while I believe that Singleton, Dahl and White are more talented than our customary AAA set.

Weston Wilson I think would have so much better of a shot if he was a left handed hitter. I don't know how good his glove is at positions but I believe he plays in a lot of spots. So theoretically as a LH bat he could compete with what Jace is providing if he ever struggles and Jace sees a pretty fair amount of playing time. As a RH bat he's really competing with Hiura/Brosseau for playing time when Tellez/Wong don't play(Yelich too but there's about 30 million reasons he won't sit much). Hiura has just way too much potential to not get all the playing time that those 2 guys don't get at those 2 spots, and Brosseau doesn't really see much playing time as is.

Looking at the Brewers needs I think they could use another left handed bat. It is frustrating to see McCutchen hit cleanup vs. right handed pitchers all the time. Obviously he isn't paid all that money to be the weak side of a platoon but wouldn't mind Dahl or Singleton get some at bats at DH instead of McCutchen. The problem is one of Hiura/Brosseau is already being optioned when Urias comes back so probably not going to happen. However, if Mccutchen goes on the IL I do think they bring up one of the two.

Looking at the Brewers needs I think they could use another left handed bat. It is frustrating to see McCutchen hit cleanup vs. right handed pitchers all the time. Obviously he isn't paid all that money to be the weak side of a platoon but wouldn't mind Dahl or Singleton get some at bats at DH instead of McCutchen. The problem is one of Hiura/Brosseau is already being optioned when Urias comes back so probably not going to happen. However, if Mccutchen goes on the IL I do think they bring up one of the two.

6 hours ago, Roderick said:

How does the International League stack up regarding hitter vs pitcher parks?  I know in the past we were in the hitter paradise PCL.

Last year, the International League scored 16.4% fewer runs and had an OPS 8.3% lower than the PCL. The average OPS in the International League in 2021 was .743, but that should rise this year assuming pitchers no longer need to hit:

• 2015 – PCL 4.73 R/G, .750 OPS; IL 3.97 R/G, .689 OPS
  • 2016 – PCL 4.78 R/G, .751 OPS; IL 3.96 R/G, .697 OPS
  • 2017 – PCL 5.05 R/G, .774 OPS; IL 4.24 R/G, .719 OPS
  • 2018 – PCL 4.97 R/G, .763 OPS; IL 4.16 R/G, .709 OPS
  • 2019 – PCL 5.85 R/G, .831 OPS; IL 5.16 R/G, .787 OPS
  • 2021 – PCL 5.74 R/G, .810 OPS; IL 4.80 R/G, .743 OPS

6 hours ago, Roderick said:

How does the International League stack up regarding hitter vs pitcher parks?  I know in the past we were in the hitter paradise PCL.

Last year, the International League scored 16.4% fewer runs and had an OPS 8.3% lower than the PCL. The average OPS in the International League in 2021 was .743, but that should rise this year assuming pitchers no longer need to hit:

• 2015 – PCL 4.73 R/G, .750 OPS; IL 3.97 R/G, .689 OPS
  • 2016 – PCL 4.78 R/G, .751 OPS; IL 3.96 R/G, .697 OPS
  • 2017 – PCL 5.05 R/G, .774 OPS; IL 4.24 R/G, .719 OPS
  • 2018 – PCL 4.97 R/G, .763 OPS; IL 4.16 R/G, .709 OPS
  • 2019 – PCL 5.85 R/G, .831 OPS; IL 5.16 R/G, .787 OPS
  • 2021 – PCL 5.74 R/G, .810 OPS; IL 4.80 R/G, .743 OPS