Brewer Fanatic

Article: 35 Years Later: Juan Nieves’ No Hitter As Told Through The Billboard Top 40

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

April 15, 1987. That was the day that Juan Nieves threw the first no-hitter in Milwaukee Brewers history. The Brewers beat the Orioles 7-0. Let’s revisit that magical night through the top 40 songs during that week. 

It was a cold and windy night in Baltimore. The sky was a MIDNIGHT BLUE. The Brewers were riding an eight-game win streak to start the season. TONIGHT TONIGHT TONIGHT, Juan Nieves was on the mound to face the Orioles. The game started off as a pitcher’s duel, with both Nieves and Baltimore starter Mike Flanagan throwing three scoreless innings to start the game. Both had a NOTHING’S GONNA STOP US NOW mentality.

The Crew got on the board first with a Dale Sveum home run in the fourth inning. It was a SIGN O’ THE TIMES as Sveum would come up huge a few days later on Easter Sunday to resurrect the Brewers’ win streak.

The fifth and sixth innings rolled by. The Crew maintained a one-run lead and Nieves had allowed no hits. Of course, one doesn’t mention a no-hitter while it’s in progress. One dances around the topic more awkwardly than they’d dance with THE LADY IN RED. The Crew added two runs in the seventh inning and three more runs in the eighth frame and whether we wanted to talk about it or not, Nieves was RIGHT ON TRACK for a no-hitter. Brewers fans watching at home shouted LET’S GO!

It was now THE FINAL COUNTDOWN. Nieves was able to do the unthinkable as he closed out the ninth and pitched the first no-hitter in Brewers history. The game ended on a great defensive play by Robin Yount. DON’T DREAM IT’S OVER! In fact, all night the Crew’s defense said LEAN ON ME to Nieves as great plays were also made by Sveum and Tom Paciorek.

Let us not forget Bill Schroeder who caught the historic no-hitter. There’s no doubt he and Nieves enjoyed THE FINER THINGS following the game. This wasn’t a case of WITH OR WITHOUT YOU. It was a true team effort. One that will never be forgotten. 

View full article

It is hard to believe that is 35 years ago already.

I like the how you tied the game into the Top 40 music.  For me, talking about the music from the time did a great job brining me back to 1987, better than just saying "The game was 35 years ago".

Nice work!

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I like the how you tied the game into the Top 40 music.  For me, talking about the music from the time did a great job brining me back to 1987, better than just saying "The game was 35 years ago".

Nice work!

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

4 hours ago, BillScottCanRake said:

Nice work!

And, here I thought I had gotten Europe's THE FINAL COUNTDOWN out of sight and out of mind for the week. My wife is going to suffer, yet again. We have a running joke as I often have that cued on my IPhone in my bathrobe pocket when I descend the stairs to make coffee. Heads will be shaking again tomorrow morning...?

4 hours ago, BillScottCanRake said:

Nice work!

And, here I thought I had gotten Europe's THE FINAL COUNTDOWN out of sight and out of mind for the week. My wife is going to suffer, yet again. We have a running joke as I often have that cued on my IPhone in my bathrobe pocket when I descend the stairs to make coffee. Heads will be shaking again tomorrow morning...?