Brewer Fanatic

Article: Contreras Needs Reality Check on Brewers' Hit-by-Pitches

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Milwaukee Brewers' pitchers hit Willson Contreras twice during baseball’s opening weekend, prompting the Chicago Cubs to retaliate. It is another chapter in the book of Contreras where hit-by-pitches are part of his game, but they make him angry.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a baseball player willing to take pitches off his body to earn a free pass to first. However, when that is a regular strategy he employs, he forfeits the opportunity to complain except for rare circumstances. As has happened in previous seasons, Brewers’ pitchers plunked Contreras multiple times already this year. That was enough for Contreras and the Cubs.

In the 8th inning of a 9-0 game, Keegan Thompson threw two pitches targeted for Andrew McCutchen, with the second hitting him flush. It was clearly an intentional message that many with the Brewers believed came from Contreras himself. Watch how Contreras puts his mask back down when things get heated – like he was expecting to get punched.

The problem with Contreras getting upset about hit-by-pitches is that he is a proactive participant. He dives in toward home plate for his swing and often throws his elbow out to make contact with the ball. There’s a reason he wears an elbow pad on his left arm. Below, you will see him stick his elbow into the strike zone in a game last season.

Later in that contest, he does not attempt to get out of the way of a pitch moving toward him.

Contreras Elbow.png

Since 2017, Contreras’ first full season in the majors, he has been hit 55 times. That ranks 9th in all of baseball. Milwaukee has plunked him on 15 occasions during that span. If you take away the times the Brewers have hit Contreras, he would still rank 21st in that category. He also has more plate appearances against Milwaukee than any other team in his career.

The Brewers aren’t throwing at him; they are pitching inside to tie up his hands when he dives toward the plate. Contreras is also willing to stand in and take the ball to his body, so he’s more likely to get drilled compared to other hitters. It is ridiculous for him to continue chirping about it and complaining that pitchers should have better command. It’s going to keep happening, just not intentionally.

The actual “Bush League” move came from Thompson and the Cubs. Many don’t take issue with a message-sending retaliation pitch, but there is a right and wrong way to do it. McCutchen talked about this briefly in his postgame comments.

Starting off a hitter with an outside pitch, especially anything that has movement away from the batter, is dangerous and cowardly when you plan to throw at the hitter. That initial delivery can get the batter leaning more toward the plate anticipating more pitches outside. If that pitcher then fires a fastball inside, it’s tougher for the hitter to protect himself, particularly if it’s near his head.

These types of incidents go away quickly when players police themselves. The issue drags on when guys do things the wrong way and create more animosity in a back-and-forth battle. Milwaukee and Chicago will see each other 16 more times in 2022; this isn’t the last you’ll hear about possible shenanigans. The odds are excellent that Contreras will be hit at least one more time this season; how the Cubs react will indicate what they have learned.

View full article

2 minutes ago, rickmanningfan said:

You can't pick "stand on top of the plate" as your game, then complain when pitches are uncomfortably close to you.  Well, I guess you can, but then you're a clown.

The thing is that standing on the plate and HBP is legitimately a skill that can and is repeated. It's super weird to knowingly execute that skill and then complain when you're awarded a base for it.

Unless you have so little self awareness that you don't realize you're executing that skill effectively... I guess that's legitimately a possibility but it seems really unlikely.

You can't pick "stand on top of the plate" as your game, then complain when pitches are uncomfortably close to you.  Well, I guess you can, but then you're a clown.

The thing is that standing on the plate and HBP is legitimately a skill that can and is repeated. It's super weird to knowingly execute that skill and then complain when you're awarded a base for it.

Unless you have so little self awareness that you don't realize you're executing that skill effectively... I guess that's legitimately a possibility but it seems really unlikely.

2 hours ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

The HBP that led to the retaliation was an inch off the inside of the plate, and Contreras (who already crowds the plate) leaned his elbow into it. He's a doofus.

The only one he can complain about is the one he took to the helmet, which was clearly a case of the ball getting away. That one is frustrating for the hitter though. 

All the others have been pretty good inside pitches. He is a doofus. Great word for him

The HBP that led to the retaliation was an inch off the inside of the plate, and Contreras (who already crowds the plate) leaned his elbow into it. He's a doofus.

The only one he can complain about is the one he took to the helmet, which was clearly a case of the ball getting away. That one is frustrating for the hitter though. 

All the others have been pretty good inside pitches. He is a doofus. Great word for him

@Tim Muma I said the exact same thing when he put his mask down. 

@Brock Beauchamp I think he knows very well what he is doing. He plays victim as a strategy (and maybe a little bit because he’s just a whiner). He gets frustrated because the Crew continue to pitch him in, where he really struggles. By crowding the plate he thinks he is forcing the pitcher to pitch away. 

@Brock Beauchamp I think he knows very well what he is doing. He plays victim as a strategy (and maybe a little bit because he’s just a whiner). He gets frustrated because the Crew continue to pitch him in, where he really struggles. By crowding the plate he thinks he is forcing the pitcher to pitch away. 

Yeah, look...anytime a guy takes one to the head area, I understand the anger. It's frightening.

My greatest "skill" as an amateur hitter was willingly taking HBPs. Both in high school & even playing baseball as an adult. I've never been hit with 90+, but certainly mid to upper 80s. Of the many, many times I've been hit, I think maybe 3 were intentional.

The only one I was mad about was when the guy threw TWO curve balls away, then blasted me in with a low--mid 80s fastball. Tucked my elbow in to protect my ribs. My whole arm went numb, but thankfully no injury.

Yeah, look...anytime a guy takes one to the head area, I understand the anger. It's frightening.

My greatest "skill" as an amateur hitter was willingly taking HBPs. Both in high school & even playing baseball as an adult. I've never been hit with 90+, but certainly mid to upper 80s. Of the many, many times I've been hit, I think maybe 3 were intentional.

The only one I was mad about was when the guy threw TWO curve balls away, then blasted me in with a low--mid 80s fastball. Tucked my elbow in to protect my ribs. My whole arm went numb, but thankfully no injury.

Thank you for writing this. It's really quite clear what Contreras is up to and how he goes about his AB's. I would surmise, given his predilections to play the victim card and deny culpability he will make a successful run in politics after his playing career.

Thank you for writing this. It's really quite clear what Contreras is up to and how he goes about his AB's. I would surmise, given his predilections to play the victim card and deny culpability he will make a successful run in politics after his playing career.