Brewer Fanatic

Article: Crew Throwback: Mike Felder

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Speed kills. You can't teach speed. Everything else in the game can be taught, but speed is a gift from God.”

- NFL Owner Al Davis

Speed was Mike Felder's game. When the Brewers drafted Felder in the 3rd round of the 1981 draft out of Contra Costa Junior College in California, they were getting one of the most exciting, albeit one dimensional, players in team history. 

From the moment he arrived in the Brewer organization, the diminutive Bay Area native (nicknamed Tiny) hit the base paths running. Felder led the minors in stolen bases for four straight years from 1982 to 1985 with an astounding 92 stolen bases with Stockton in '82. 

In addition to stealing truckloads of bases, Felder's hitting improved with each minor league stop. He took his share of walks, and his batting average climbed over .300 in 1985, leading to a cup of coffee with the Brewers.

However, what the 5'8" Felder lacked was some thump in his bat. 

And thus, while Felder's impressive wheels would bring him to the majors, his lack of slugging would limit his upside and playing time; pitchers simply were not afraid of his bat. 

For parts of six seasons, Felder was an outfielder for the Crew. He appeared in 455 games for the team, hitting .247 and producing a .624 OPS while stealing 108 bases. But Felder never became more than a semi-regular player with Milwaukee (or his subsequent teams). While he didn't strike out often, he simply did not get on base enough, as evidenced by a career OBP of just .301. Felder was a classic one-tool player - all speed. He only hit nine home runs for Milwaukee (in over 1,200 ABs) and only 14 for his entire career.

Felder's best season in Milwaukee was his last - 1990 - when he hit .274 and had a .330 OBP in 272 at-bats. But Felder wanted more playing time and at the end of spring training in 1991, he asked for and was granted his release.

Felder played another four years with San Francisco, Seattle, and Houston, performing pretty much the same role he had in Milwaukee. He then spent a few more years in independent ball and the Mexican league before retiring after the 1998 season.

After retirement, Felder remained in baseball, coaching in the Giants and Expos organizations in 1999 and 2000. He was an assistant baseball coach at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco from 2009-2013.

In his career with Milwaukee, Mike Felder was a versatile reserve, playing all of the outfield positions. However, his inability to develop any skills beyond his speed (which was sensational) kept him from being anything more than a part-time player. Still, it allowed him to play 10 years in the majors, a claim few players can make.

Please share your remembrances of former Brewer Mike 'Tiny' Felder.

View full article

Outside of his speed, I don't recall much about Felder beyond his nickame and a humorous exchange between Bob Uecker and Pat Hughes when Kenny Felder was drafted by the Brewers.

During one game in '92 Uecker expressed surprise when he learned the Brewers drafted Kenny Felder because he the Brewers already had him once and he currently played for the Giants  Pat Hughes, playing the good straight man, reminded Ueck the former Brewers OFer was Mike Felder.  Uecker had a sarcastic reply which I can't remember now but had me laughing hard at the time.

I wish I could remember more about the exchange, because it was pretty funny when I heard it 30 years ago... not so much as I type this out.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Outside of his speed, I don't recall much about Felder beyond his nickame and a humorous exchange between Bob Uecker and Pat Hughes when Kenny Felder was drafted by the Brewers.

During one game in '92 Uecker expressed surprise when he learned the Brewers drafted Kenny Felder because he the Brewers already had him once and he currently played for the Giants  Pat Hughes, playing the good straight man, reminded Ueck the former Brewers OFer was Mike Felder.  Uecker had a sarcastic reply which I can't remember now but had me laughing hard at the time.

I wish I could remember more about the exchange, because it was pretty funny when I heard it 30 years ago... not so much as I type this out.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Chris

-----

Chris

-----

Thank you, once again, @reillymcshane. I truly LOVE these posts.

I'd like to take a moment to share a few things:

(1) As a kiddo growing up, I was also a shrimp. Tho, I did ultimately grow to 6'3" with decent size and strength for a college athlete, throughout my younger days and into early high school I was  a mere 5'7" and frail as a twig. I loved soccer, basketball, and baseball at the time but can distinctly remember feeling like an absolute twerp while everyone else was growing and strengthening around me. I truly considered Tiny one of my Brewers heroes. He had appeal to fellow shorties - especially kiddos, in my mind's eye at least - in those cups of coffee and part-time-player roles in the 1980's into the early 1990's.

(2) He actually became a beloved San Francisco Giant in his brief time there. I followed him, albeit from a distance, when he first left the Crew in 1991/1992. He still lacked any power in those 2 Giant seasons (hitting only 4 or 5 HR's if memory serves?), but he actually hit quite well and continued to steal some bases. Those Giant teams weren't very good, if you recall, as I believe those were the last 2 years pre-Bonds who came aboard just after. The point is: It was just an improbable 2 year run for him and I can remember being super happy for him way back then. I think, if memory serves (sorry, too lazy to look it up! Eeeeek), he even was nominated for a couple 2-3 players of the week (!!) in the NL. It was so awesome as a closet Felder fan. I only remember this because, at the time, I wore it like a Badge of Honor. 

(3) Lastly, and I honestly have no idea why I know this, but, Mike ended his career with 161 steals. This is not even top 500 in total MLB steals, but, it is tied with Dale Murphy, which in and of itself is mildly hilarious. When I first learned this some years ago, I tipped a beer to both. 

(1) As a kiddo growing up, I was also a shrimp. Tho, I did ultimately grow to 6'3" with decent size and strength for a college athlete, throughout my younger days and into early high school I was  a mere 5'7" and frail as a twig. I loved soccer, basketball, and baseball at the time but can distinctly remember feeling like an absolute twerp while everyone else was growing and strengthening around me. I truly considered Tiny one of my Brewers heroes. He had appeal to fellow shorties - especially kiddos, in my mind's eye at least - in those cups of coffee and part-time-player roles in the 1980's into the early 1990's.

(2) He actually became a beloved San Francisco Giant in his brief time there. I followed him, albeit from a distance, when he first left the Crew in 1991/1992. He still lacked any power in those 2 Giant seasons (hitting only 4 or 5 HR's if memory serves?), but he actually hit quite well and continued to steal some bases. Those Giant teams weren't very good, if you recall, as I believe those were the last 2 years pre-Bonds who came aboard just after. The point is: It was just an improbable 2 year run for him and I can remember being super happy for him way back then. I think, if memory serves (sorry, too lazy to look it up! Eeeeek), he even was nominated for a couple 2-3 players of the week (!!) in the NL. It was so awesome as a closet Felder fan. I only remember this because, at the time, I wore it like a Badge of Honor. 

(3) Lastly, and I honestly have no idea why I know this, but, Mike ended his career with 161 steals. This is not even top 500 in total MLB steals, but, it is tied with Dale Murphy, which in and of itself is mildly hilarious. When I first learned this some years ago, I tipped a beer to both.