Brewer Fanatic

Article: A Team You Can Cheer for

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It is easy to cheer for your time when they win, but what does it take to transform that team into a team you like? A team that transcends winning and losing, but just makes the game of baseball a joy to watch?

The last four MLB seasons have brought unprecedented post-season success for the Milwaukee Brewers. Four straight years of October baseball has helped soothe the soul of any fan that survived the 90s…and the early 70s… oh, and not to forget 2002. Hey, let’s be real. Brewer fans have been long-suffering with a single World Series appearance and zero rings.

Now, I’ve been a fan through thick and thin.  But some of those teams have been easier to cheer for than others.  Team streak (1987) was the first year that I considered myself a real “fan” and was filled with many memorable streaks.  Mike Cameron and the Untuckem’ Crew having fun and annoying the Cardinals all at the same time – double bonus!

This year’s Crew looks to continue last year’s winning ways, while also simply being fun to watch. Let’s take a look at a few individuals that bring more to the field than just a bat and glove.

I’ll start with the million-dollar smile of Lorenzo Cain.  Lorenzo was a favorite of mine back in the minors (remember the draft-and-follow process?).  Unfortunately, just as he hit the bigs, he was traded to Kansas City in the Zach Greinke trade.  LoCain is no longer the player he was offensively but he still brings high energy, excellent defense, and the potential to bring many HR balls back into the ballpark. Entering the last year of his contract, this might be the last year with the Brewers (and potentially in the MLB), but is still a joy to see him bounce around the outfield and celebrate with his fellow outfielders.

Christian Yelich’s injuries and offensive struggles have gotten a lot of pre-season, mid-season, and post-season ink as people theorize on what he has to do to return to his MVP ways. But during feast or famine, Yelich has been as even-keeled as anyone could.  Yelich remains the same approachable, humble guy whether he is rubbing elbows with all-stars or high-fiving a young Pittsburgh fan for making an excellent catch.  His demeanor during his MVP years was the same as it was early in his career and the same during his last two years of struggles.

Brent Suter…. Even writing his name, I have to laugh.  Jim Carey impersonations, mock commercials, speed pitching, and a guy that just loves the game and being a Brewer. If Brent drives by in the bullpen car and offers a ride, I recommend taking it.

But I think the thing that pulls the team together more than any other was an unexpected, early-season 2021 trade that brought Willy Adames to the team.  Early last year, the team was muddling about out on the field and lacking an identity off of it.  Willy’s impact came both on the field and in the clubhouse.  A shortstop hitting 285/366/521 is clearly a huge addition to the team.  But it is his energy with his teammates that elevates that impact so much.  Everyone knew that their biggest fan was cheering them on from their own dugout (or SS when on defense).  Willy was the first person to greet you after a home run and you better have the ups to reach that high-five! 

With Willy joining the team last year, it was almost as if our very own Benny Rodriquez was leading the team out on the sandlot.  Baseball was fun, the summer was worry-free, and you almost expected the Beast to try to grab a home run ball away from Lorenzo Cain at the fence.

Maybe this year will be the one that sees that elusive World Series pennant flying high and proud at American Family Field. But win or lose, this is a team you can cheer for!

Comment and let us know… Which was your favorite Brewers team or player of all time to watch?

View full article