Brewer Fanatic

1/4 way report card

jay87shot

With 1/4 of the year in the books I thought it might be interesting to grade the players. I think it is important to remember that league offensive numbers aren't great. even though our offensive consistency has been an issue we rank 10th obp, 5th ops, 4th hr, 7th runs, and 3rd sb in the majors.

C-Narvaez B-   Not the great start with the bat he had last year but solid all around

Caratini B-    For coming over late and getting inconsistent playing time he has been ok, .188/.286/.557 is concerning

1B- Rowdy A    He has brought stability to a position that has been an issue for a long time.

Huira B+.     He has played well considering inconsistent playing time, it might be time for him to get some more DH AB's

2B- Wong C+   Offensively ok, but he has had issues defensively that bring this grade down a bunch for me.

SS- Adames B   If you take the one huge week out he hasn't been very good offensively, but like Rowdy he has brought stability to an usually weak position.

3B- Urias A.  Great start after being injured

Peterson A-  Batting stats are pedestrian but has been worth 5 runs scored defensively

Brosseau A  His bat has been extremely impressive and his defensive versatility makes his value to this team very high.

OF- Yeli C+   He has quieted some concerns but he still is only on pace for 20 HR's and 160 k's

Renfrow A-   He has been worth 5 runs saved defensively and leads the team in batting (at least until/if Urias or Brousseau qualify). A few more RBI's and BB's would be nice

Cain D     Offensively he has been as bad as JBJ was last year, but he does have a 0.0 WAR which is saying something considering .185/.248/.465

Taylor C-    Has shown a little life recently but 4 BB's in 98 PA's is concerning.

DH- Cutch C     He has been about the same player he has been the past 3-4 years, nothing to exciting but passable for now.

Burnes A-      Solid all around, no issues to me

Woodruff C+.   4.76 ERA is worrisome, but his FIP points to a better pitcher running into some bad luck.

Peralta  B     Similar to Woodruff, his FIP is 2.09 more than a run better than Burnes, hopefully only going to miss a start or two.

Lauer A    2 years ago I would have never imagined that he would be a legitimate Cy Young calibar pitcher. 

Houser A-   Extremely consistent, he could easily be a top of the rotation arm for 2/3's of the league.

Ashby B+   One bad outing and this would be an easy A, still walking a few to many people.

Hader A+.    Top notch, only 2 hits in 13 2/3. If anything we need to find a way to get him more innings

Williams C+   Bumpy, but hopefully he will round into form like the end of last year.

Gott/Boxberger A  both of these guys have been solid and will seemingly be good 7th inning arms.

Suter and the rest of the pen= C-    No one has really had a break out year, Milner has been ok but I don't think anyone has a high confidence in him.

Overall Grades

Offense B-   Needs more consistency

Starting A-  Solid, Woodruff turning a corner would make this one of the better rotations in MLB history potentially (maybe overstepping)

Pen B-    Not bad but we could use a few arms to solidify a weaker back end of the pen.

Coaching A-  Our schedule has been relatively weak but 26-15 is solid and a pace for 100 wins.

Let me know what you would change  

Milner has Counsell's confidence and rightfully so.  His overall numbers last year don't look good but he takes the ball and trusts his stuff.  They could do a lot worse.  I'd give him a B.

Taylor has driven in the exact same amount of runs as Renfroe in 40 or so fewer PA and Renfroe gets an A- and Taylor gets a C- because he's walked 5 fewer times than Renfroe?  Both guys bat in RBI spots in the lineup.  Their job is to drive in runs, not get on base for Cain.

• Like 1

Caratini: C-  hitting is a concern.......Hiura C+  the strikeouts (43%) and poor glove bring his grade down considerably......Wong D+  .221/.304 as a leadoff man is disturbing. What's more disturbing is his glove so far this year......Peterson C-  .202/.292 bring his grade way down. I don't see that much value defensively......              Taylor B  Has had some crucial RBIs and played a good CF..... Rest of the team I agree. Nicely done jay87

On 5/23/2022 at 7:38 AM, jay87shot said:

DH- Cutch C     He has been about the same player he has been the past 3-4 years, nothing to exciting but passable for now.

He has been way worse than he had been in Philadelphia, less on base and less power, needs to step it up, D. Counsell gets some of the blame for playing him too much.

I still think that some of Wong's early season issues could be attributed to a small child at home.  I don't know if that affects all baseball playing dads, though, so it's only a theory, and one that I can't quantify with any true evidence.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)