Brewer Fanatic

Setting things up against LHP

Robocaller

The Brewers aren't the only team to hit significantly better against RHP compared to LHP. Most of the teams that do so are pretty bad  (CIN is the only one in our division),  However, there are three very good teams that share that inclination with the Brewers: LA Dodgers, Houston, and NY Mets. Two of them might be opponents in the National League playoffs, and Houston is a legitimate contender to get to the World Series.

We have an excellent internal opportunity to improve the LHP on the team with Ethan Small. Of course you don't move Burnes out of his normal rotation spot (and Lauer is a lefty), but our other starters have been inconsistent this year. Any chance we move Small onto the roster to get a couple of starts vs teams that do badly against LHP*, or at the very least call him up early enough to be playoff eligible?

* Brewers play against a few teams that do badly against LHH June 10-19, and have home and away series against LAD in middle-late August.

2 hours ago, Robocaller said:

The Brewers aren't the only team to hit significantly better against RHP compared to LHP. Most of the teams that do so are pretty bad  (CIN is the only one in our division),  However, there are three very good teams that share that inclination with the Brewers: LA Dodgers, Houston, and NY Mets. Two of them might be opponents in the National League playoffs, and Houston is a legitimate contender to get to the World Series.

We have an excellent internal opportunity to improve the LHP on the team with Ethan Small. Of course you don't move Burnes out of his normal rotation spot (and Lauer is a lefty), but our other starters have been inconsistent this year. Any chance we move Small onto the roster to get a couple of starts vs teams that do badly against LHP*, or at the very least call him up early enough to be playoff eligible?

* Brewers play against a few teams that do badly against LHH June 10-19, and have home and away series against LAD in middle-late August.

While I like the out of the box thinking, I don’t think moving a guy like Woodruff from his usual rotation spot is the answer, either. Despite the slow start from him, he remains one of the top pitchers in all of baseball. You don’t play games with those types of guys, and want them to face the best teams. 

I do think they could do something such as switching the rotation around a little bit to ensure that Lauer faces the Dodgers, who he has absolutely dominated over the course of his career.

7 hours ago, Brewcrew82 said:

While I like the out of the box thinking, I don’t think moving a guy like Woodruff from his usual rotation spot is the answer, either. Despite the slow start from him, he remains one of the top pitchers in all of baseball. You don’t play games with those types of guys, and want them to face the best teams. 

I do think they could do something such as switching the rotation around a little bit to ensure that Lauer faces the Dodgers, who he has absolutely dominated over the course of his career.

I'd be talking about maybe moving Woodruff back one day and maybe moving Houser to the pen for a few days. Trying to get two LHP starting in every series against teams that do poorly vs. LHP..