Brewer Fanatic

Jackson Chourio - Baseball America Hype

Message added by Brock Beauchamp,

A reminder that you can follow Chourio's progress daily through our prospect tracker, with stats that update nightly!

https://brewerfanatic.com/milwaukee-brewers-top-prospects-rankings/2022/jackson-chourio-r14/

Chourio on his way to being the most hyped prospect in Brewers history. Could even make an argument he already is ranking that high that young. Arcia was once in the single digits on rankings...but when he was debuting at the MLB level. 

To be getting that much projection and promise at A+ is nuts. You would have to go down into the 30s to find another player that isn't a pitcher or premium offensive position that high (SS/C).

2 hours ago, rickh150 said:

Is he hurt? He hasn’t been playing in a while, has he?

Yes, I believe it’s either his elbow or shoulder. He was checked out by the Brewers team doctor and didn’t find anything concerning. I’m sure they’re being overly cautious with him.

On 8/18/2022 at 5:41 PM, igor67 said:

It's also surprising because he wasn't a massively hyped International signing to begin with. Notable sign sure, but it has been an absolutely meteoric rise by any reckoning.

One of the many reasons the international FA signing period is so interesting and so stupid. Millions being thrown around on kids, decisions made when they're 14 and 15. Such a flawed system with such an insane amount of projection. You take massive risks on HS kids in the draft and they're 18/19, they've played in big showcases in the States. I know they do the same in the DR, Venezuela and the like, but it's such a crap shoot. But we've finally got a stable of nice international signees working their way up. That's what builds a farm system. Most teams draft highly touted prospects, they fail or they don't, but you can get classes where you sign 33 players and who knows how many of them will hit. Just one makes it worth while.

Now, with all the talk in other threads about the off-season, premature talk, the Brewers #1 goal has to be to acquire Jaison Chourio this off-season. Keep the brothers together! Pretty sure he's a year away from a breakout like Jackson! Or maybe just a normal development for a 17 year old kid, but all the same, he's off to an exceptional start as a 17 year old kid. I do kinda wonder if teams would ever consider doing this. 

We'll have Jackson in LF hitting like Acuna Jr and Jaison in CF playing GG defense. And in this fairy tale, we'll sign 'em both to those big Ozzie Albies like deals as soon as they arrive in the big leagues!

Or...just appreciate Jackson and what we've got there.... 

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thursday 8/25:

Via "Locked on MLB Prospects": "We welcome David Gasper, editor of ReviewingTheBrew.com and Brewers writer for Prospects1500. We discuss OF Jackson Chourio's rise, get a really eye-opening comp for him, and discuss his ceiling. We talk about so many of the top prospects being toolsy outfielders (like Sal Frelick, and Joey Weimer, and Esteury Ruiz, and Garrett Mitchell, and Luis Lara...), and if that was an organizational philosophy or just a coincidence. We discuss potential September callups and then chat about pitching names to know about and an unheralded prospect or two."

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Wow that’s unbelievable. I agree that he probably starts 2023 in Appleton but that is pretty cool that we get another week to watch him.

I wonder if they'll let him play winter ball in Venezuela. Would be massive for his development but he's 18 and had a big year and who knows how much the elbow issue is still a thing. Maybe best to take a rest.

54 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Wow that’s unbelievable. I agree that he probably starts 2023 in Appleton but that is pretty cool that we get another week to watch him.

Maybe they see him on a Juan Soto trajectory? Would mean he's up to the big leagues by next season...(and hitting bombs in the World Series by the next season haha) 

16 hours ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

Am I the only one thinking it is better than 50/50 that Chourio starts next season in Biloxi? Maybe I am overreacting to some of this year’s aggressive promotions but I wouldn’t even be shocked if Quero starts at double-A.

Nothing would shock me either, but I think it would make a lot more sense to start both of them in Appleton.

Chourio only hit .250 in Appleton.  He had a hot start, but didn't set the world on fire like most seem to think. (8 homers was impressive but again, the hype he got and is getting seems like 8 is low)

Hopefully, he continues to make strides, but I'm afraid bumping him up to AA at the beginning of the 2023 season might be a little quick.  Let him start in Appleton and see what happens, then move him to AA when he is obviously ready for the jump.

20 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Chourio only hit .250 in Appleton.  He had a hot start, but didn't set the world on fire like most seem to think. (8 homers was impressive but again, the hype he got and is getting seems like 8 is low)

Chourio’s overall batting line at Wisco was 19% better than league average.

8 HR in only 142 PAs is pretty good. There were 198 players who got at least 100 PAs in the Midwest League this year with Jackson’s isolated slugging ranking 21st. The 20 guys above him had an average age of 22.

Jackson also made major progress on his K rate trimming it to 21.8% at Wisco vs 28.0% in Carolina.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sveumrules said:

8 HR in only 142 PAs is pretty good. There were 198 players who got at least 100 PAs in the Midwest League this year with Jackson’s isolated slugging ranking 21st. The 20 guys above him had an average age of 22.

Jackson also made major progress on his K rate trimming it to 21.8% at Wisco vs 28.0% in Carolina.

Ok, but does that scream start him at AA for the beginning of the 2023 season?  I'd still like to see him start at Appleton, kind of like they did with Frelick this year, and move him up when it's time.

Selfishly, I'd like to see them start Chourio, Quero nd Black in Appleton next year before moving them up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
On 8/18/2022 at 4:29 PM, MrTPlush said:

Chourio on his way to being the most hyped prospect in Brewers history. Could even make an argument he already is ranking that high that young. Arcia was once in the single digits on rankings...but when he was debuting at the MLB level. 

To be getting that much projection and promise at A+ is nuts. You would have to go down into the 30s to find another player that isn't a pitcher or premium offensive position that high (SS/C).

Except there was this Kid that was in the majors by now... ?

10 hours ago, sveumrules said:

Are you suggesting there's more to offensive performance than batting average?

On 9/12/2022 at 5:13 PM, CheeseheadInQC said:

Am I the only one thinking it is better than 50/50 that Chourio starts next season in Biloxi? Maybe I am overreacting to some of this year’s aggressive promotions but I wouldn’t even be shocked if Quero starts at double-A.

I would bet he starts in Biloxi, unless his performance is really bad for the rest of the year. His performance in A+ justified a promotion next year, even if he hadn't been promoted this year. I would plan on a full season in AA.

• 2 weeks later...