Brewer Fanatic

Jackson Chourio - Baseball America Hype

Message added by Brock Beauchamp,

A reminder that you can follow Chourio's progress daily through our prospect tracker, with stats that update nightly!

https://brewerfanatic.com/milwaukee-brewers-top-prospects-rankings/2022/jackson-chourio-r14/

Jackson Chourio took their #1 spot on their weekly prospect hot sheet after his huge debut. 

There's also a fantastic article posted this morning about him.  It's an impressive read.  Not sure if it's a subscription read or not, but here's the link.  https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/in-first-full-season-series-jackson-chourio-opens-eyes/

Sounds like it's going to be a fun summer to follow Jackson and it wouldn't shock me to see him quickly rise up the fan voting this summer.

• Like 6

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Josh Norris is infatuated with Chourio. He was posting a lot of video the last few days. Check out his twitter feed:

• Like 2
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

3 hours ago, homer said:

Josh Norris is infatuated with Chourio. He was posting a lot of video the last few days. Check out his twitter feed:

I am trying to figure out how he is staying balanced with that stride.  It looks awkward but it may just be the angle of the video.  

4 hours ago, homer said:

Just to elucidate the 'infatuated' (I've been following this development as well):

Edit to Add: For those of you who are unaware, Josh is the Senior Editor at Baseball America. So, this praise isn't casually shared. He is seeing what we are seeing when we tune into Carolina: Stud. Legit stud. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manty Brewer Fan said:

Jackson Chourio took their #1 spot on their weekly prospect hot sheet after his huge debut. 

There's also a fantastic article posted this morning about him.  It's an impressive read.  Not sure if it's a subscription read or not, but here's the link.  https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/in-first-full-season-series-jackson-chourio-opens-eyes/

Sounds like it's going to be a fun summer to follow Jackson and it wouldn't shock me to see him quickly rise up the fan voting this summer.

100%. Chourio is already a Top Ten prospect and it really isn't debatable imho. Our Top 10 is most likely going to need several adjustments. You don't see young men like this all too often. He has come in, from Day 1, with Big Brass in attendance semi-regularly and absolutely raked. He has everything there. This is a legitimate possible superstar. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nate82 said:

I am trying to figure out how he is staying balanced with that stride.  It looks awkward but it may just be the angle of the video.  

It's important to see the swing in real time. That swing is definitively more open as it's an oppo blast. He has a wide stance, indeed, but he gets immense power from his hips and torso flexion. Here are two hits (that HR included) in real time:

57 minutes ago, Julio Muchacho said:

It's important to see the swing in real time. That swing is definitively more open as it's an oppo blast. He has a wide stance, indeed, but he gets immense power from his hips and torso flexion. Here are two hits (that HR included) in real time:

Looks like the angle in the other video was throwing my brain off.  It looked like he was falling down in the previous video or at least seemed that way.  

I think he's out in front of a breaking ball.....just a guess without seeing where it went.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't anticipate is graduating a lot of players this years from the minors, combined with our track record on pitching development a guy like Churrio coming along to potentially headline the farm system could produce a lot of movement up our system rankings.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:44 PM, Julio Muchacho said:

100%. Chourio is already a Top Ten prospect and it really isn't debatable imho. Our Top 10 is most likely going to need several adjustments. You don't see young men like this all too often. He has come in, from Day 1, with Big Brass in attendance semi-regularly and absolutely raked. He has everything there. This is a legitimate possible superstar. 

100% agree he is top 10 right now.  I had him 7 I think in my fan vote and I already feel light.  Think he has a good chance to move to #1 for me by midseason.

It will be very curious where BA  has him in their updated top 10 next week when they release a new top 10 for the brewers and other teams in the NL/AL central.  They've been aggressive in moving guys unlike years past in their updates.  For instance Tiedemann who is having a fantastic start to the year got moved to #4 in the Toronto system.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Manty Brewer Fan said:

Well Baseball America is changing up their top 10 rankings and the frequency with which they update.  They just updated the central.  Chourio has jumped all the way to #3 for the Brewers!

On top of the jump within the Brewers rankings, Chourio snuck into the top 100 at #99!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Manty Brewer Fan said:

It was just shared that Chourio is expected to see quite a jump in Baseball America's top 100 update which occurs later this week.  Who wants to venture a guess where he resides in the top 100.  I am going to predict #51.

7 hours ago, Manty Brewer Fan said:

It was just shared that Chourio is expected to see quite a jump in Baseball America's top 100 update which occurs later this week.  Who wants to venture a guess where he resides in the top 100.  I am going to predict #51.

I'd be a bit surprised (and elated) if he jumps up 48 spots in their next update.  I'll guess a 31 spot jump to 68.  

I will perpetually hold off at least a bit of reservation until I see how a player performs at AA or higher, but I look at our position player prospects and I see enough depth at key positions in the coming years to give me confidence we can turn over parts of the roster and keep this run going.

• Like 3

As was already mentioned, Chourio is, at the moment, the top prospect in the organization according to Baseball America.  In my opinion, however, if Wiemer continues to produce the way he has at AA and then carries it over to AAA he is still #1.  Honestly don’t think it’s fair to Chourio to rocket the 18-year-old to the top because as soon as he struggles a little at A+, AA, whatever, it will take a toll on his confidence.  I mean I don’t think Hedbert ever received this much praise and he even told me himself that he struggled mentally last year and early this year with his struggles after those expectations were placed on him.  Chourio doesn’t need to be compared to Vlad Jr, Tatis Jr, etc.  Can’t imagine what pressure that must put on him.