Brewer Fanatic

The "How bad are the Nationals" thread

splitterpfj
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Nats will be decently bad, meaning they will better than teams like the Royals, Mariners, etc (including the Cubs). but worst than their division, the Brewers, and most of the NL Central (which for a whole is pretty weak, with the exception of the Brewers and Cardinals.) Overall, I think that they finish 67-95.

I'm thinking somewhere around 100 losses. They'll be the worst team in the majors, but nowhere near the Tigers of a few years back. The lack of ownership and tight budgets for scouting and strict slotting on draft day, really limited them. Joint ownership and a lack of direction did the Nationals no favors.

Still, you have to be more than lacking direction, but actively incompetent to lose much more than 100 games. Manny Acta sounds like a fairly competent manager and I'm not expecting any Lopes/Royster style meltdowns. They'll be worse than Yost was his first year with a rock bottom payroll, but I also expect them to find some diamonds in the rough.

Robert

So you've got arguably the least talented MLB roster at the moment, and you're being picked on at every turn, what to do for an encore?

How about screwing up the delivery of season tickets? Let's alienate our most ardent supporters...

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/26/AR2007032601720.html

FWIW, Baseball Prospectus has the Nationals projected at 66 wins.

Their offense is unimpressive, but not historically bad by any stretch. Ryan Zimmerman, Felipe Lopez, Austin Kearns, Ryan Church, Chris Snelling, and Brian Schneider have soem promise. Heck, if they move Lopez back to SS and start Belliard at 2B, they'll only likely be a bit below average. Their bullpen looks servicable, too. It's their starting rotation that's a shambles. The ballpark may serve to hide some of their struggles though.

The main concern I would have would be the starting rotation putting too big a strain on the bullpen and the entire pitching staff collapsing.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, the Nats won a game. Their real concern is going to be keeping their bullpen fresh though. They have to get something out of their starters.

Frankly, they should have been going after the Ben Hendricksons of the world all spring.

Robert

Hey, the Nats won a game.

Special thanks go out to Florida closer Jorge Julio for his 9th inning meltdown.

1/3 IP, 5H, 3R, BB

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Quote:
ouch.

their bullpen is going to be in big trouble soon . . . if not already.

the first three starters have averaged just over 4 innings each.

ouch ouch.

yesterday's fourth starter lasted just 3 -2/3 innings . . . surrendering 6 walks.

Archived