Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Alex Jackson

MVP2110

2 minutes ago, ClosetBrewerFan said:

Is it possible Stearns was working both these trades and just forgot to call this one off?  This makes little sense.  I'm not too concerned about what we gave up, but would rather have kept Cantrelle and Ramirez.  I think Jackson and Navaretto are redundant.

They gave up Sullivan in the Caratini trade, so the Brewers were down 2 catchers, and they got 2 catchers. I don't know how they rate their AAA depth, but clearly they wanted this number of catchers even before the suspension. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClosetBrewerFan said:

Is it possible Stearns was working both these trades and just forgot to call this one off?  This makes little sense.  I'm not too concerned about what we gave up, but would rather have kept Cantrelle and Ramirez.  I think Jackson and Navaretto are redundant.

I’d bet they’ll need a 3rd catcher at some point this year, and they clearly feel that Feliciano isn’t ready for that role.

I just posted a story on the front page about this move.

I'd be interested in your comments over there on my interpretation of Jackson's future, and giving up on Cantrelle so early. I trust you guys more than I do my own judgement when it comes to Brewers' prospects. 

Remember when Jackson was both an outfielder and the Mariners' No. 1 prospect at the time of the Lind trade that netted Peralta? Good times .. good times.

I guess I can understand it, but I kind of wish they had acquired a cheaper AAAA player to restock AAA depth. I'm not a big Cantrelle guy, and that AA infield is filled to capacity, but I'm still not sure it is worth trading him for a guy who is probably Luke Maile with a better story.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
5 hours ago, Tbadder said:

I get it, but less enthusiastic about this acquisition. Wonder what Feliciano is thinking. Is Jackson an upgrade on Sullivan or a lateral move?

Mario is probably thinking about next year and how to get there. He’s not ready yet, he likely knows that, they likely spoke with him about all these moves. 

The best thing for him is to play often and work his game, not to mostly ride the bench and pinch hit here and there.  This is the best outcome for Mario’s development.

9 hours ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

Remember when Jackson was both an outfielder and the Mariners' No. 1 prospect at the time of the Lind trade that netted Peralta? Good times .. good times.

I guess I can understand it, but I kind of wish they had acquired a cheaper AAAA player to restock AAA depth. I'm not a big Cantrelle guy, and that AA infield is filled to capacity, but I'm still not sure it is worth trading him for a guy who is probably Luke Maile with a better story.

I had Cantrelle at #20 on my ballot. Liked his versatility, walk rate, and power. That said, he hit below the Uecker line in the relatively low minors, so he was either unlucky, of there was a serious hole in the swing.

• 3 weeks later...