Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Victor Caratini

Jastro

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
1 minute ago, tmwiese55 said:

250/350 BA/OBP vs lefties.   Seems like a good pick up to me.   Anyone know on options he or Severino have left in regards to keeping both later on?

Caratini is eligible for arbitration through 2023, and can be a free agent in 2024. Severino signed a two-year deal with the Brewers I believe.

4 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Caratini is more than 6 years younger than Pina, and makes half what Pina makes. For a team on a budget like the Brewers, that matters.

Pina was a FA and required nothing in trade and his 2/$8M deal is hardly a drop in the bucket. He's older but certainly better as an ideal backup C and the age is less of a concern having started his career later and having less wear. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

Pina was a FA and required nothing in trade and his 2/$8M deal is hardly a drop in the bucket. He's older but certainly better as an ideal backup C and the age is less of a concern having started his career later and having less wear. 

I wouldn't have minded the Brewers re-signing him, but at that market price, I get why they didn't. Severino is also younger, probably has a better bat at this stage of his career, and was set to make half of what Pina will be making.

When all is said and done will probaly pay Caratini/Severino the same as Pina this season so can understand your point of view. However, I do think Caratini will have a better offensive season and Pina didn't really start his career later, age is starting to catch up to him. Took him a while to get to the majors but still played in the minors.

1 minute ago, Outlander said:

When all is said and done will probaly pay Caratini/Severino the same as Pina this season so can understand your point of view. However, I do think Caratini will have a better offensive season and Pina didn't really start his career later, age is starting to catch up to him. Took him a while to get to the majors but still played in the minors.

Severino's suspension is without pay, so you can cut his $1.9 million salary in half.

He seems to slug better against RHP but get on base more vs lefties. I'll be curious if late in games if Omar is up against a lefty reliever if CC will pinch hit for him. Also has played a decent amount at 1b and dabbled a bit at 3b. 

While Howell is an intriguing prospect, if they were going to give up someone from that tier, he'd probably be the one I'd prefer. They are deep in the outfield and at his best infield position (2B) and the strikeout rate is concerning. And Caratini is definitely a step up from some of the other names available.

41 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

It does take two to tango. Since Pina signed about two weeks after the World Series ended, maybe he was simply ready to move on. Pay was doubled, going to a team that just won the World Series. Nobody will ever likely know the circumstances of his quick departure. 

Also, Manny Pina turned pro in 2005, regardless if it’s in the minors, winter ball or the majors, he’s got 17 years worth of mileage on him as a catcher. Significantly more wear and tear on him than a player who is 5-6 years younger. 

Caratini is a nice player, probably the best they could do that was available. Hopefully Narvaez stays healthy and rested and they don’t have to play Caratini as much as the Padres did

Howell was interesting but honestly a long shot with his strikeout rate. I don't think he makes it in the majors. 

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

28 minutes ago, MVP2110 said:

He seems to slug better against RHP but get on base more vs lefties. I'll be curious if late in games if Omar is up against a lefty reliever if CC will pinch hit for him. Also has played a decent amount at 1b and dabbled a bit at 3b. 

And a couple of OF innings as well...

• Like 1

I am wondering if the Padres feel as tho they found another Trent Grisham diamond in the rough? Either way, this is the type of move you make when your organization has quite possibly the best pitching staff in all of baseball. It will be fun to see how it plays out.

I suppose Caratini is alright as a backup. Only issue I see with it is that he doesn't grade out either as a particularly good defender, or a good hitter. From what I've heard he's supposed to be good at working with pitchers though, and seemingly a good dude. So all in all I guess it's the protoype of a backup catcher. Did catch their no-hitter last year fwiw. Also seems like the Cubs fans don't like him as a Brewer, which makes me like it. 

Personally I wouldn't have minded giving Sullivan/Feliciano a shot and perhaps signed a veteran on a minor league deal instead as backup. But I can see the logic of getting a veteran who will also be familiar with many of our pitchers, even if its from the point of view of the batters box. 

As for Howell, the hit tool issues and high strikeout rate even in the low minors makes me not that bothered. He may be someone who figures that out, or he'll go the way of Harrison/Brinson and many, many others. Plenty of interesting OFs in the system, so seems reasonable enough.