Brewer Fanatic

Jacob Nottingham

8 minutes ago, SRB said:

I would just sign Wilson Ramos. He's probably not looking for much at this point in the offseason if you can offer him a guaranteed major league spot to open the season. Unless he's injured?

Ramos had surgery on his ACL in September. Not sure if he is ready

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anthony Bemboom beat out Jacob Nottingham for the Orioles #2 catcher job. Nottingham likely has an opt-out in his minor league deal with the Orioles (I was mistaken yesterday in assuming he'd be subject to waivers. He would not.) I have no idea when that is, though.

If the Brewers wanted Nottingham as their #2 for the first half of the season, he is likely very available for a very low trade price. I would assume that, despite the yo-yoing he did last year, he'd be happy to have an MLB job, even if it were only for half a season. I suspect we'll find out later today.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
On 4/5/2022 at 11:54 AM, Jopal78 said:

As he is out of options, if he doesn't make the Orioles he will be designated for assignment. You are correct if he is put on waivers and was claimed he would have no choice. If he is DFA'd and refuses to go to the minor leagues, he will be a free would become a free agent.

Most teams might carry a fringe major leaguer as their #2 catcher, but most teams don't have aspirations of playing deep into the playoffs. 

Austin Barnes in LA, Manny Pina in ATL, Curt Casali in SF, Jason Castro in Hou, Plawecki in Bos, these are all far superior players to someone like Jacob Nottingham who isn't likely to crack the roster of possibly the worst team in the AL this year. 

Safe to say that Caratini is an upgrade on Nottingham. Heck, he might be an upgrade on Severino, at least defensively.