Brewer Fanatic

Your 2022 Nashville Sounds

Brewer Fanatic Staff
8 hours ago, Mass Haas said:

Via Jeff Hem's Blog - The five pre-game interviews from Week Four (vs. Norfolk) - Rickie Weeks, Pedro Alvarez, OF Jonathan Davis, Hitting Coach Al LeBoeuf & Manager Rick Sweet

Jeff's an excellent interviewer, and I'm hopeful many of you are listening in to each of his archived Nashville chats each and every week, we will always link here on our forum.

That being said, his interview with Hitting Coach Al LeBoeuf was pretty spectacular in that LeBoeuf detailed so thoroughly what they are doing with prized prospect Brice Turang. Absolutely worth your seven minutes.

• Like 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
31 minutes ago, Mass Haas said:

Jeff's an excellent interviewer, and I'm hopeful many of you are listening in to each of his archived Nashville chats each and every week, we will always link here on our forum.

That being said, his interview with Hitting Coach Al LeBoeuf was pretty spectacular in that LeBoeuf detailed so thoroughly what they are doing with prized prospect Brice Turang. Absolutely worth your seven minutes.

Agreed on Jeff and his weekly interviews. Also a nice tip of the cap to early season performers: Mark Mathias, Jon Singleton, and Tyler White and an unexpected nod, perhaps, to Pablo Reyes (who, if you're watching Sounds games, is hitting the ball as well as anyone even tho the numbers don't back it up).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via Jeff Hem's Blog - The five pre-game interviews from Week Five (at Jacksonville) - David Stearns (spit in two parts), Coach Ned Yost IV, Interim Coach David Tufo (who will be managing in Maryvale for a second season), RH reliever Connor Sadzeck and Manager Rick Sweet.

Bonus via Jeff's "Rounding Third" Podcast: "Sounds right-hander Caleb Boushley talks about being a Wisconsin native growing up rooting for his now-employer Brewers, getting on the radar of scouts in college at Division III UW-Lacrosse, his love for golf, and the pronunciation of his last name relative to how it's spelled.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mass Haas said:

Via Jeff Hem's Blog - The five pre-game interviews from Week Five (at Jacksonville) - David Stearns (spit in two parts), Coach Ned Yost IV, Interim Coach David Tufo (who will be managing in Maryvale for a second season), RH reliever Connor Sadzeck and Manager Rick Sweet.

Bonus via Jeff's "Rounding Third" Podcast: "Sounds right-hander Caleb Boushley talks about being a Wisconsin native growing up rooting for his now-employer Brewers, getting on the radar of scouts in college at Division III UW-Lacrosse, his love for golf, and the pronunciation of his last name relative to how it's spelled.

Really appreciated the Ned Yost IV and David Tufo interviews. It's clear the club really valued David's time in Nashville. For those of you wondering, David was originally hired on as a non-specified Carolina Mudcats coach in 2020 but ya know, COVID. In 2021 David coached the ACL Brewers Gold to a 27-24 record. For a slightly deeper dive, Tufo played college baseball at Salem, Oregon's DIII Willamette University and graduated with an Economics degree in 2009. 

Feliciano is having a very quiet good year so far with a slash line of .287/.361./.345.  The only thing I would like to see improved from Feliciano is his power numbers a slugging of .345 just is not going to cut it but a .287 average and a .361 OBP is really good for a catcher.  

If Feliciano can up his slugging to something around .425-.440 and keep the same OBP that would give him an .800 OPS which at catcher would put him in an elite territory.  If Feliciano could up his slugging up to .390 he would be equivalent to Keibert Ruiz.  

So, Miguel Sanchez has a horse he named 'Pablo Menos' (Little Pablo) in honor of his good friend and teammate Pablo Reyes. So great. Pablo plays the part of Miguel's translator in interviews. New interviews up in the same 'Jeff Hem Blog' Jim posted above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nate82 said:

Feliciano is having a very quiet good year so far with a slash line of .287/.361./.345.  The only thing I would like to see improved from Feliciano is his power numbers a slugging of .345 just is not going to cut it but a .287 average and a .361 OBP is really good for a catcher.  

If Feliciano can up his slugging to something around .425-.440 and keep the same OBP that would give him an .800 OPS which at catcher would put him in an elite territory.  If Feliciano could up his slugging up to .390 he would be equivalent to Keibert Ruiz.  

I would offer: Mario simply needs to stay healthy for a season first. I think that’s step one. He hasn’t hit for much power in awhile - but, he’s also been consistently injured. Maybe that comes? I just want to see him make it through a season and we can move from there.

26 minutes ago, Julio Muchacho said:

I would offer: Mario simply needs to stay healthy for a season first. I think that’s step one. He hasn’t hit for much power in awhile - but, he’s also been consistently injured. Maybe that comes? I just want to see him make it through a season and we can move from there.

Right if he continues with what he has been doing and stays healthy for the whole season or at least the majority of it, I will call this season a big success for him.  Still though of all the prospects in the Brewers minor league system it seems as though he is getting the least amount of attention.  He is quietly having a good season and hopefully he stays healthy and continues.  If he can hit for more power and stay healthy I think the Brewers have something at catcher at least offensively.  

I haven't watched him this year to see his defense but I am thinking he still needs some work there.  

8 minutes ago, nate82 said:

Right if he continues with what he has been doing and stays healthy for the whole season or at least the majority of it, I will call this season a big success for him.  Still though of all the prospects in the Brewers minor league system it seems as though he is getting the least amount of attention.  He is quietly having a good season and hopefully he stays healthy and continues.  If he can hit for more power and stay healthy I think the Brewers have something at catcher at least offensively.  

I haven't watched him this year to see his defense but I am thinking he still needs some work there.  

He’s still only 23. So, he has some time to work on everything. I would say, the most pleasantly surprising catching story in 2022 (for me, at least) is Jakson Reetz in Biloxi. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via Jeff Hem's Blog - The Nashville pre-game interviews from last week's series vs. Gwinnett, including a few while Jeff was briefly away from the club

All are worth your while, but should you choose to focus in on one, tune in to Corey Ray.

Turns out that like the rest of us, he had no idea he had been designated for assignment and had been available on waivers, and only learned he had been outrighted off the 40-man roster when it was announced on June 17th. Ray had played on the 15th but not the 16th.

So, it's unclear if minor leaguers who are DFA'd can still be in action while in DFA limbo, but unlike those who are in the big leagues when their DFA is announced, apparently organizations can be a bit stealthy about letting their minor league 40-man roster guys know.