Brewer Fanatic

Your 2022 Biloxi Shuckers

Brewer Fanatic Staff

We will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements soon. The Biloxi formal announcement will come directly from the Shuckers, not the Brewers. All four minor league affiliates will likely send out their press releases within an hour or so of each other once the Brewers have given them the official go-ahead to do so.

Shuckers' Opening Night is Friday 4/8!

Feel free to link to any formal notices you see here.

Often we learn via farmhand tweets, who has been assigned where, prior to the formal affiliate announcements. We'll link to any of those posts in this thread as they come out.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2022" team threads to post and link to feature stories, including audio and video, that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Minor League Link Report.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

Please do not speculate on any player releases. Brewers Player Development or MiLB.com will update us formally.

39 minutes ago, ARobsBrewCrew said:

Maybe our first (somewhat) surprise roster placement this season, RHP Abner Uribe will begin the season with Biloxi

I still would have predicted be would start in Wisconsin, but Counsell's comments kind of hinted toward this. It feels more like an affirmation of prospect status like Mendez's placement in Carolina than a sit up and take notice shocker like if they have Chourio skip the ACL altogether.

10 minutes ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

I still would have predicted be would start in Wisconsin, but Counsell's comments kind of hinted toward this. It feels more like an affirmation of prospect status like Mendez's placement in Carolina than a sit up and take notice shocker like if they have Chourio skip the ACL altogether.

Just got word that Chourio is set to make his pro debut at Biloxi…. Nah, I’m just kidding, but yeah I agree.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

2022 Biloxi Shuckers Initial Roster Announced

Pitchers (16):
Nick Bennett, Justin Bullock, Victor Castaneda, Harold Chirino, Luis Contreras, Lucas Erceg, Taylor Floyd, Tyler Herb, Arnaldo Hernandez, Robbie Hitt, Carlos Luna, Andy Otero, Scott Sunitsch, Abner Uribe, Zach Vennaro, Nash Walters

Catchers (3):
Brent Diaz, Nick Kahle, Jakson Reetz

Infielders (7):
Hayden Cantrelle, Cam Devanney, Thomas Dillard, Gabe Holt, Ashton McGee, Felix Valerio, Freddy Zamora

Outfielder (4):
Korry Howell, Tristen Lutz, Garrett Mitchell, Joey Wiemer

https://www.milb.com/biloxi/news/2022-biloxi-shuckers-initial-roster-announced

4 hours ago, damuelle said:

2022 Biloxi Shuckers Initial Roster Announced

Pitchers (16):
Nick Bennett, Justin Bullock, Victor Castaneda, Harold Chirino, Luis Contreras, Lucas Erceg, Taylor Floyd, Tyler Herb, Arnaldo Hernandez, Robbie Hitt, Carlos Luna, Andy Otero, Scott Sunitsch, Abner Uribe, Zach Vennaro, Nash Walters

Catchers (3):
Brent Diaz, Nick Kahle, Jakson Reetz

Infielders (7):
Hayden Cantrelle, Cam Devanney, Thomas Dillard, Gabe Holt, Ashton McGee, Felix Valerio, Freddy Zamora

Outfielder (4):
Korry Howell, Tristen Lutz, Garrett Mitchell, Joey Wiemer

https://www.milb.com/biloxi/news/2022-biloxi-shuckers-initial-roster-announced

That is one crowded OF.  Surprised Wiemer got the bump to AA thought he would stay in Wisconsin for a few months before going to AA.  I think Lutz is probably the main 4th OF.  

Erceg’s big spring got him slotted in at #12 on the FanGraphs Brewers list with his 40+ FV in the same range as other power arms like Abner & Antoine. Report…

He's been sitting 96-99 all spring and has a wipeout low-90s slider, which he has feel for locaating in the zone, but not yet for locating off the plate to his glove side (though that shows flashes). The stuff to play a late-inning role is here, and it will just be about Erceg harnessing it with enough consistency to instill confidence for promotion. Recall that most huge success stories like this (Kenley Jansen, Carlos Marmol, Jason Motte, etc.) typically come together very quickly. Erceg's progression has occurred at an exciting pace and a late-inning outcome feels possible.”

• Like 1

Outside of catcher, that lineup is absurdly deep. You could make a case for 10 out of the 11 infielders and outfielders being among the organization's top 50 prospects and even the one who wouldn't be, Devanney, is vaguely intriguing.

Also, with Uribe, Erceg and Vennaro, there is some big time velocity in the bullpen.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, nate82 said:

I am wondering if Zamora is just a slow starter and it takes time for his bat to heat up.

Valid questions. We shall see as there's a lot of season left. One HR, for me at least, does not remedy the throwing errors and other issues I have seen in his game. He does have the tools and the frame you like - he's obviously very athletic. BUT, I want to see more polish and more urgency and focus in his game. He makes far too many casual mistakes for my liking in his current form.

6 hours ago, Julio Muchacho said:

Valid questions. We shall see as there's a lot of season left. One HR, for me at least, does not remedy the throwing errors and other issues I have seen in his game. He does have the tools and the frame you like - he's obviously very athletic. BUT, I want to see more polish and more urgency and focus in his game. He makes far too many casual mistakes for my liking in his current form.

I am not worried about his defense as he has been solid in the past.  It may just be he is pressing because he hasn’t been hitting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my early morning delights has been the discovery of Jakson and Will Reetz sharing brotherly love and support across baseball levels:

Apparently, the Reetz bros. use the age old lingo 'Johnsons' when referring to home runs.?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...