Brewer Fanatic

Tellez, Hiura, and McCutchen… how do you split playing time?

Obviously, the real wild card here is Hiura because if he doesn’t hit, the question answers itself.

Tellez will get nearly daily playing time but he’ll absorb quite a bit of DH time, I suspect.

But if Hiura is decent - say league average - how do you balance his playing time and where do you try to fit him? In this scenario, I think it’s pretty easy to bench McCutchen against righties but we could easily see a situation where Hiura and Cutch are equally bad against RHP. And if that’s the case, what to do with Hiura? He’s out of options, right?

The rosters are expanded to start the season, so I think Hiura's ST play has probably already earned him a spot. 

My guess is that he will get a lot of early season PAs vs. LHP at first base and vs RHP at DH. If he's "found it" his bat will play, and the expanded rosters and addition of the DH have given the Brewers a chance to test him out to see if his spring heroics are for real.

McCutchen isn't a DH-only guy. He'll get reps in the corner OF spots as well, and Counsell is pretty good at making sure all the guys who deserve PAs get their fair share.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

20 minutes ago, jerichoholicninja said:

I think it's more complex than that. Wong and Adames are really the only guys (outside of catcher) who should be playing everyday. The other 7 hitters will be determined by matchups, health/rest days, and hot bats.

Even Wong could get some rest on days when someone like Freddy pitches who isn't a big groundball pitcher

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think what really answers this question is health and injuries.  If Cutch, Wong, and Yelich stay (relatively) healthy, then Counsell will probably go with reasonably strict L/R platoons wherever possible for almost everyone except Wong, Yelich, and Adames.  Not saying Cutch won't bat against RH pitchers, and Rowdy won't hit against lefties, but I'd guess barring long DL stays, Rowdy would see 400 - 450 PA's, and Cutch, about the same.  

Like you said, the wild card is Hiura.  If he comes even close to 2019 Hiura, he's gonna play nearly every day, SOMEWHERE.  If he's OPS-ing  .850 and hitting righties, Counsell will find a way to get him in the lineup.  DH, 1B, LF, maybe even (gasp) spell Wong a day or so here and there.  I don't honestly see that, but if it happens, it's a nice problem to have.  

• Like 1