Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jose Ureña

MVP2110

It was originally announced as a minor league signing but apparently that was just due to some weird technicality. Will provide length out of the pen and maybe make a few starts if needed. Hasn't exactly had great numbers in recent years but the Brewers must see something in him to give him a Major League deal. He is out of options

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He's this year's Jordan Zimmermann-esque reclamation project. Not super far removed from being a useful pitcher. I remember back in 2017-18 he was considered one of the young up-and-coming pitchers in MLB, and was pretty much off-limits in trade talks. Then of course, as often happens to young pitchers, the wheels came flying off as both injuries and mLB hitters figuring him out sapped his effectiveness. 

He has always been an extreme ground ball guy who relies in his sinker. The Brewers have had good success with those types in the past. I don't expect to see him in many leverage spots for awhile, though.

I think Urena is a better than you might think signing. He has always started but he's a hard thrower with a lot of life on his stuff. I think he's the type to play up in relief and I really think he'll surprise people out of the pen. i'm convinced he'll open the season either in the pen, or in arizona ramping up but he'll be in the pen in April for sure.

I agree, he made a number of quality 7 inning starts for Detroit last year, before scuffling in June and going on the DL for two months.

More importantly, I think we tend to forget some of the players who from year to year provide "length" out of the Brewers bullpen and are not used in later inning roles:

Hoby Milner: 5.40 era, 1.52 whip, 5.89 FIP over 21.2 innings

Daniel Norris: 6.64 era, 1.57 whip, 6.81 FIP over 20.1 innings

Eric Yardley 6.75era 1.82 whip, 6.81 FIP over 18.1 innings 

Angel Perdomo: 6.35era 1.64 whip, 6.11 FIP over 17 innings

Josh Lindblom: 9.72 era, 1.98 whip, 7.37 FIP over 16.2 innings

That's 93 innings of really bad pitching. With Urena I'm sure the floor isn't much worse than a 1.50 whip and a FIP of 5.00, which would be better than they got in the 93 innings above and the ceiling could be much higher. 

Its the kind of low cost, no risk move the Brewers should make more of. 

His career splits are worse as a reliever than a starter. He's never been good. If he's used for anything but low-leverage innings, I'd be surprised. And his stats as a reliever would fit right in with Jopal's list.

11 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

I agree, he made a number of quality 7 inning starts for Detroit last year, before scuffling in June and going on the DL for two months.

More importantly, I think we tend to forget some of the players who from year to year provide "length" out of the Brewers bullpen and are not used in later inning roles:

Hoby Milner: 5.40 era, 1.52 whip, 5.89 FIP over 21.2 innings

Daniel Norris: 6.64 era, 1.57 whip, 6.81 FIP over 20.1 innings

Eric Yardley 6.75era 1.82 whip, 6.81 FIP over 18.1 innings 

Angel Perdomo: 6.35era 1.64 whip, 6.11 FIP over 17 innings

Josh Lindblom: 9.72 era, 1.98 whip, 7.37 FIP over 16.2 innings

That's 93 innings of really bad pitching. With Urena I'm sure the floor isn't much worse than a 1.50 whip and a FIP of 5.00, which would be better than they got in the 93 innings above and the ceiling could be much higher. 

Its the kind of low cost, no risk move the Brewers should make more of. 

I live in Michigan and saw him a bunch last year. He has a good arm and I think could be a guy who benefits hugely throwing only one or 2 innings. He threw around 93-95 last year if member serves me right, add 2-3 mph on bullpen appearances and stick to 2 pitches and he could be a solid pen arm. 

• Like 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
15 minutes ago, JohnBriggs12 said:

He could be a younger version of Junior Guerra who was at times dominant out of the pen as a Brewer.  Worth a shot.

Ahhhhh, I fondly recall the time when Junior Guerra was such a surprise in the pitching staff. I thought we had that classic late bloomer, lightning in a bottle guy...and, then, he just fell off considerably.  Miguel Sanchez is that guy for me now. Can he find what he had early last season or will he fade as well? Time will tell. I like the comparison. 

4 hours ago, jerichoholicninja said:

He was signed because he can be easily dropped and not have to worry about service time or options or wasting a 40 man spot like with someone already in the organization. Same as Zimmerman and Godley last year.

With the expanded 28 man roster, it doesn't hurt to have another arm in the pen who can pitch multiple innings. With the shortened ST, starting pitchers will probably be on pretty strict pitch counts. It's good to have a few multi-inning guys in case there are a couple days in a row where the pitcher hits his limit in the 4th or 5th inning. Plus, he's good at inducing ground balls, which can make him a good situational match-up.

I hope he succeeds and plays a role in a successful Brewer season. But, as jerichoholicninja said, he's a veteran who can fill some innings early on and get unceremoniously dumped if he isn't successful.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 1 month later...