Brewer Fanatic

2022 Bullpen

wallus

Who do we have making up the bullpen this season?

Locks: Hader, Williams, Boxberger, Cousins, Suter

Options: Mejia, Gustave, Milner, Gott, Bettinger, File, Perdomo, Sanchez

I am assuming we will run a 6 man rotation with Ashby being #6 otherwise he will be in the pen. I wish there was an easy way to see who has minor league options remaining. 

tevor gott, being out of options, appears to be a lock.

and also remember that clubs don't need all 13 - 14 pitchers right on opening day. the brewers could open up with extra position players, option or dfa them within a few days and then select the contracts of pitchers on minor league deals (or acquire arms outside of the organization).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
14 minutes ago, Outlander said:

Gott hasn't done enough in his career to be a lock. Teams have always liked his stuff but the Brewers can easily DFA him if they don't like what they see.

I was just about to post similar sentiments. I would probably ‘argue’, of that list Mejia and Perdomo are the current lead candidates to stick from what I’ve seen in the Winter Leagues (Mejia) and early in ST. Perdomo looked really dialed and healthy. Can he keep it up? That’s what ST is for. Beyond that, the other arms mentioned would really have to show progression and evolution or development from last season’s time in the League or with the Big Club.

I should add, of that list, given he was already touching 94 consistently w his fastball yesterday AND he’s on the 40 I would think the Brewers would like to stretch Dylan File out some as he regains his health. He is likely a candidate to help at some point this season IF he stays healthy and stacks success.

I'm not particularly ready to decide who I think will make the bullpen at this point for the couple of "competition" spots. That said, Perdomo is on the two-year minor league deal he signed after needing TJ. I figure the most likely move to begin the year will be to stretch him out at Nashville and be starting games.

I would order the list Sanchez, Gustave, Mejia, Perdomo, Gott, and don't forget there are still a bunch of decent option on the FA market who we could maybe slip a a minor league deal or very cheap mlb deal. I put Sanchez and Gustave at the top because they were with the team last year but any of the others could jump ahead of them easily with a few impressive outings.

Hunter Strickland, Richard Rodriguez, Yesmerio Petit, Jose Alvarez, Blake Parker, Tony Watson, Tyler Clippard, Tommy Hunter, Trevor Rosenthal, Andrew Miller, Chris Archer, Jose Urena, or even a guy dfa'd by another team could be guys we could bring in and make pretty big differences in the right circumstance. I get some of those are old, injured, or don't have electric arms but we have been very good recently at finding a contributors in the pen who aren't in camp.

I see Strickland just signed with Cincinnati. I doubt we add anyone else, Stearns and Co. love to have flexibility at the backend of the bullpen to send guys down or call fresh arms up. Signing another guy who can't be sent down would limit that. Hader, Williams, Suter, Cousins, Boxberger all seem like locks to stay in the Bigs all season barring injury or ineffectiveness so that leaves 2 to 3 spots for "the shuttle guys" and who knows if any of those shuttle guys breakout similar to Cousins, Boxberger, or Strickland last season. Plus Stearns and Co. have proven to be really effective at finding midseason pen arms for cheap if they need to 

Agree with the flexibility which is good for Sanchez, Mejia, Gustave and Angel Perdomo as they should see plenty of big league time. Also, imagine Luis Perdomo does start in the minors as mentioned above, appears like he might have an option left if they decide to add him to the 40 man at some point.

Gott signed a major league deal with the Brewers, and has 3+ years of service time. As such his guarantee is likely in excess of a million dollars, which makes it almost a certainty he will be in the pen to start the year. 

8 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

Gott signed a major league deal with the Brewers, and has 3+ years of service time. As such his guarantee is likely in excess of a million dollars, which makes it almost a certainty he will be in the pen to start the year. 

given that rosters will be at 28 players with no limits on pitchers, trevor gott is a lock for the opening day roster, barring injury or trade.

18 minutes ago, djoctagone said:

given that rosters will be at 28 players with no limits on pitchers, trevor gott is a lock for the opening day roster, barring injury or trade.

I might not like this news. BUT, I gott it. Thanks.

• Like 1

Was odd to see Perdomo throw an inning today.  If they are stretching him out, innings go up not down.

With the roster, I know they have kept more bench guys on opening day the past few years.  This year with the DH, I’m not sure there’s any benefit to that.

13 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

Trevor Gott signed a split contract meaning if he is in the minors he will make less than whatever major league salary he agreed upon with the Brewers

2 hours ago, wildcat83 said:

Was odd to see Perdomo throw an inning today.  If they are stretching him out, innings go up not down.

Perdomo hasn't started much in the last couple of years. Maybe they have him ticketed for a relief role. Either way, they'll bring him along slowly coming off TJ.

37 minutes ago, Adam Rygg said:

Perdomo hasn't started much in the last couple of years. Maybe they have him ticketed for a relief role. Either way, they'll bring him along slowly coming off TJ.

The last appearance he started and threw 2 innings.  The recap article on the Brewers website was titled “Perdomo makes pitch for Brewers rotation.”  It sounded like the plan was to stretch him out as a starter.