Brewer Fanatic

luis urías injury thread

djoctagone

This injury concerns me as the dropoff to the next person is large. I like Urias more as a super utility player, wish they would obtain a starting 3B. Don't have a lot of confidence that Jace can replicate what he did last year. Brosseau against lefties is fine but not an every day player.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Adam Rygg said:

He is, but he's also the primary backup at SS when they put the 26-man roster together on paper.

If Urias isn't ready to go for Opening Day wonder if Turang could break camp with the club since none of the other backup IF (ok, maybe Pablo Reyes but just barely) can really handle SS.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
4 hours ago, sveumrules said:

If Urias isn't ready to go for Opening Day wonder if Turang could break camp with the club since none of the other backup IF (ok, maybe Pablo Reyes but just barely) can really handle SS.

They did rush Feliciano up when they had no other catching choices, but bringing Turang up might hinge on how long they think they might need a body. Easier to bring up a guy you don't mind risking to a quick DFA than needing to force open a 40-man spot on Opening Day for Turang.

Definitely something to watch.

5 hours ago, Outlander said:

This injury concerns me as the dropoff to the next person is large. I like Urias more as a super utility player, wish they would obtain a starting 3B.

This is exactly how I feel. I was hoping they’d pick up a regular 3B and have Urias float around to fill in between 3B, SS, and 2B. Now we are stuck with a few 26th men as our starting 3B and as our backup SS.

I've thought about the Turang option as the backup MI to start the season but I don't think they pull the trigger. Wong and Adames are nearly every day guys so there wouldn't be many starts available and the minor league season this year starts at the same time as the Major league season. I suspect they'll let Reyes start the year with the big league club and that he'll get very little time(Maybe 1 start) before Urias is healthy and ready to go

• Like 1

Sounds like Urias will be close to ready at the start of the season. I think we have people that can cover in emergency situations and have Turang or other backup called up for the next game as necessary.  Better than having Turang sitting on the bench. 

To follow up on that tweet @djoctagone, here's a quick vid from Adam. Looks like definitely missing the first 2 away series and potentially the Home series as well. Le sigh. These things can be super super annoying and slow to heal and this is already trending in a way I was hoping wasn't going to be the case:

On 4/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, Outlander said:

Not good, Jace certainly hasn't eased my fears that he can duplicate what he did most of 2021. Hopefully this doesn't linger the whole year.

I think it would be best to make sure it doesn't linger. I'd rather go without him for the first two months than have him deal with it for the entire season.

• Like 1
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:28 PM, nate82 said:

This is probably going to be an early to mid May return for Urias.  

If he truly gets at bats in Arizona this week, rehab assignments for hitters are often pretty short. If he looks ready enough, he might start a rehab assignment early next week and be back end of next week if all is good. That's certainly an optimistic timeline and would involve avoiding setbacks

12 minutes ago, KeithStone53151 said:

If he truly gets at bats in Arizona this week, rehab assignments for hitters are often pretty short. If he looks ready enough, he might start a rehab assignment early next week and be back end of next week if all is good. That's certainly an optimistic timeline and would involve avoiding setbacks

Remember, Urias had very little time to ramp up in spring. He's probably going to need an extended rehab assignment, longer than a typical hitter would mid-season. It wouldn't surprise me if he needed 10+ days in the minors before heading to Milwaukee.