Brewer Fanatic

Why can’t Tyrone Taylor be our backup 1B?

edfunderburk

Now that Milwaukee has signed McCutchen as a RH 4th OF, Taylor will once again be the odd man out … unless he learns to play 1B

if Huira can man the position, surely the athletic Taylor could figure things out and provide an alternate to Rowdy Tellez

I understand this is not ideal, but I like his bat

I’m not sure why Garcia (last year) or Yelich (below average arm & only adequate as a LF - despite a gold glove) hasn’t been given an opportunity 

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

People still know that the 1B still has to catch a ground ball, right?  It isn't like he stands there and plays catch with the other infielders... you actually have to field the position.  Huira was already doing that at 2B.  I doubt Taylor has really even needed to try as his defense should still be in the OF. As for others... either they can't or don't want to try... playing D on the corners isn't for the faint of heart when those balls are screaming past you. 

• Like 1

Eduardo Escobar is an actual infielder, and he was kinda bad at 1B last year when we used him there.  Putting a guy at 1B who's (presumably) never played there is just a bad idea.  We talk about this a lot, but 1B defense may seem unimportant, but it's not.  It may have *relatively* less importance than other positions, but then you put a guy over there that's not good at it, and it shows up in the worst ways, at the worst times.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wallus said:

Because he is an outfielder and has never played 1st base before. He also offers some value on defense as an outfielder.

Are you Clancy's burner account?

I’m not sure who Clancy is … but I played baseball through college & was able to move around the diamond as needed

I didn’t suggest that he never play OF again - just that he “learn” a new position in order to get in the lineup more often

A better option would be to trade LoCain & start Taylor in CF

3 minutes ago, edfunderburk said:

I’m not sure who Clancy is … but I played baseball through college & was able to move around the diamond as needed

I didn’t suggest that he never play OF again - just that he “learn” a new position in order to get in the lineup more often

A better option would be to trade LoCain & start Taylor in CF

You can't just throw anybody at 1b at this level and have it work out just fine. And not everyone can pick it up. There were lengthy discussions on this board about why khris Davis didn't learn 1b considering he was decently athletic but had the literal worst throwing arm in the league among all players/positions by a margin the size of the grand canyon. Apparently the brewers tried him at 1b in practice and it went horrendous. More recent examples, last year Eduardo Escobar played some 1b. He's played multiple infield positions so you'd think 1b should be pretty easy to pick up. He was fine there but he averaged probably around 1 mistake a game at 1b, the types of mistakes a guy like tellez who is probably a league average defender at the position would never really make because he's played there so long.

So the answer to why Taylor doesn't take any reps at 1b is either because he's been tried there and was not great, or much more likely because his outfield defense is very solid and valuable and it's not beneficial to waste his development time on 1b when that time is much better served working on literally anything else.

4 hours ago, edfunderburk said:

Now that Milwaukee has signed McCutchen as a RH 4th OF, Taylor will once again be the odd man out … unless he learns to play 1B

if Huira can man the position, surely the athletic Taylor could figure things out and provide an alternate to Rowdy Tellez

I understand this is not ideal, but I like his bat

As others have said, he has never played 1B in the pros and he's + on defense in the outfield. 

A better question is why they signed McCutcheon instead of someone who has played (and hits well enough to play) 1B. That might still happen, though I suspect it will be someone from the bargain bin if they do sign someone.

Otherwise, I guess Jace will be the backup 1B.

2 hours ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Obviously if Hiura makes the team, he's the backup 1B. Otherwise I'm guessing Brousseau and Peterson will see time there. I suppose it is possible they could look at Rizzo or Colin Moran. 

Or Freddie Freeman. Let's get weird.

I have always been intrigued by Colin Moran … I actually looked yesterday to see if he is still available

I think the better plan would be to give Yelich some starts at 1B against LHP.  Taylor is a superior defender than Yelich so we improve our defense in the outfield on those days while still getting a platoon from Tellez and Taylor.

That would still leave a bench opening for a LH bat to help at DH so we don't have to see McCutchen and his .650 OPS against RHP everyday.  

Tellez will get the ABs versus lefties…….when Yelich isn’t playing left he will be dhing or get a day off.

don’t over think it…….we will have a platoon at first and it’s not going to include Yelich or Taylor. 

Rowdy and Brosseau/Hiura unless we add somebody else …..seems unlikely to me but you never know.

• Like 1

I’ve watched many teams try to stash someone at first to get their bat in the lineup. It works maybe half the time if I’m optimistic.

First base isn’t an afterthought position. It’s probably the easiest position to become functionally literate at but it’s not an afterthought position. Having the footwork and ability to know when to move in at the ball versus retreat to first is a repetition skill that cannot be learned overnight. 

Rowdy has a career 98 wRC+ vs LHP and 101 wRC+ vs RHP. He still has limited career PAs, but he really doesn't have splits that show the need for a platoon partner. Of course he'll need some days off, and I figure one of the utility IF (Peterson, Brousseau) will play 1B on those days.

I'd guess we'll roll with Rowdy as the everyday 1B to start the season. If he's not cutting it, Stearns will make a mid-season trade to bring someone in.

I highly doubt it's an option, but for sake of discussion, if they were to play an OF at 1B, I wouldn't take one of our better defenders (Taylor), I'd look at McCutchen, Yelich, or even Renfroe. If you're going to have an inexperienced glove at 1B, at least improve your OF defense by putting Taylor out there instead of one of the lesser defensive OFs.

• Like 1

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

On 3/15/2022 at 6:40 AM, Jopal78 said:

Taylor doesn’t have the power of a pro typical first baseman, and likely won’t have the defense of a prototypical first baseman either. They’d be ahead finding someone who plays their naturally.

Agreed on the defense, but as far as his power not matching up is that based on his 2018 scouting report?  Taylor had more HR in fewer PA last year than Tellez had in more (between Toronto and Milwaukee) and many of them were bombs to CF.

The real question is why the Brewers are comfortable with Tellez getting 500-600 PA but apparently not comfortable with Taylor getting that many when Tellez has a career .770 OPS and Taylor has a .791 career OPS.

Don't construe this as being down on Tellez.  This could be his breakout year and he performed on the big stage in the playoffs.  But as long as they are going to roll the dice with Tellez and to a certain extent Urias, there's no reason they shouldn't be ready to roll the dice on Taylor as well.

Taylor is probably a good enough athlete to fill in at 1B.  If it means getting his bat in the lineup, it's at least worth a look in Arizona

2 hours ago, monty57 said:

Rowdy has a career 98 wRC+ vs LHP and 101 wRC+ vs RHP. He still has limited career PAs, but he really doesn't have splits that show the need for a platoon partner. Of course he'll need some days off, and I figure one of the utility IF (Peterson, Brousseau) will play 1B on those days.

I'd guess we'll roll with Rowdy as the everyday 1B to start the season. If he's not cutting it, Stearns will make a mid-season trade to bring someone in.

I highly doubt it's an option, but for sake of discussion, if they were to play an OF at 1B, I wouldn't take one of our better defenders (Taylor), I'd look at McCutchen, Yelich, or even Renfroe. If you're going to have an inexperienced glove at 1B, at least improve your OF defense by putting Taylor out there instead of one of the lesser defensive OFs.

My inclination if Hiura isn't back to his 2019 level offensively would be to use McCutcheon at first as a "soft" platoon partner if necessary. Of course, Peterson and Brousseau are other viable options.

In response to the original question, Taylor isn't suited to 1B. It negates the best parts of his defense which are accentuated in the outfield. He could learn it if he had to, but with the roster constructed as it is today, there are experienced options to give Tellez a blow.

That said, adding a guy who can play some 1B as part of a broader defensive toolkit is certainly an option for Stearns, and one he's definitely considering. A guy like Wil Myers fits, for instance, if the Padres are willing to eat a good chunk of money after reportedly shopping him "aggressively." Obviously Luke Voit fits offensively, but having two guys on the roster who only play 1B isn't ideal, even with the DH in play.

While having players who can play many positions is great, Taylor would be one of the last choices to backup at first because he's actually good defensively in the outfield.

While it's hard to ask a starter to learn a new position, Hunter Renfroe would be the one to ask to be a backup 1B. He does have 9 innings of experience at the position in the majors (and his stats actually are pretty good--2 assists).  I don't really want to play Renfroe at first for more than 30 games, but he'd be an option.

To the backup 1st baseman question… If it’s decided that Hiura needs some more time in AAA to continue working on off season changes, is Tyler White an option?

He has done it in limited games in the big leagues (years ago) and had a strong season in Triple A last year (even as a teammate to Rowdy for a bit)

He’s one I want to keep an eye on to see if he could help at some point during the season.

When I began this topic, it was more in frustration of concern that adding McCutchen would potentially bump Tyrone Taylor to less opportunities. Upon further reflection, he will likely get plenty of CF opportunities - based on LoCain’s recent history of injury as well as his current age. 

I still believe the Brewers needs a RH option at 1B in addition to Huira. I want to believe that he will return to his 2019 status, but he’s been horrid the last two years - even more so than Yelich.

Like many others, I was hoping for Luke Voit to be the choice. Now that he’s in San Diego, maybe Tyler White gets a chance.

Is it possible the Brewers are one of the mystery teams for Trevor Story? Okay - I’m dreaming - I’m not sure he is an option at 1B either. But that would certainly be fun!

On 3/18/2022 at 12:13 AM, Adam Rygg said:

A guy like Wil Myers fits, for instance, if the Padres are willing to eat a good chunk of money after reportedly shopping him "aggressively." 

I like this idea - Wil Meyers is another veteran with some MLB success.

I also like that he has positional versatility as opposed to Voit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 2:27 AM, Robocaller said:

While it's hard to ask a starter to learn a new position, Hunter Renfroe would be the one to ask to be a backup 1B. He does have 9 innings of experience at the position in the majors (and his stats actually are pretty good--2 assists).  I don't really want to play Renfroe at first for more than 30 games, but he'd be an option.

So . . . I guess I got that right.

• Like 1