Brewer Fanatic

Andrew McCutchen

This one doesnt make any sense to me... We're signing Cutch to be our DH? Or maybe he's replacing Cain in CF and Cain is being moved to team looking for a CF?

Still, we need a bigger bat than him.

I don't think we have the payroll or minor league resources to get another "big bat" at this point. So I think you're more likely to see Stearns and Co. filling out the edges of the roster to build depth and avoid giant holes in the lineup instead.

For the right price, this could be a nice addition to the outfield/DH rotation allowing Counsell to play matchups to maximize production. I'd like to add some breakdowns of all the players' lefty/righty splits to see how it shakes out, but FanGraphs isn't cooperating with me right now. I might dive into this deeper later!

12 minutes ago, markedman5 said:

Brewers struggled against lefties last season and Mccutchen destroys lefties…….. not hard to see why the Brewers have interest,

Yes he'll make a great DH/OF vs LHP... But we'll face RHP a lot more... We need a bat like Schwarber or Conforto to be our DH.

Brewers struggled against righties and lefties last year, lets not get it twisted. A combined 20th in wRC+ (excluding pitchers) in 2020-2021. Last year the Brewers had a 90 wRC+ vs. lefties and a 92 wRC+ vs. righties. McCutchen is fine considering the inevitable injuries in the OF, I am talking about Cain specifically. I also question how much the Brewers actually believe in Tyrone Taylor. 

I still want a bat that can play 1B and DH, a trade for Luke Voit would be my ideal scenario. I however do realize how crowded the bench would be if they made that move. One of Brosseau or Taylor would most likely be gone in that scenario.

McCutchen is exactly the type of player the Brewers will likely looking to add between now and opening day. Proven MLB player, still productive yet can be had on a short term/bargain contract.

Obviously at 35 he's far removed from his salad days with the Pirates but still has a .790 OPS in nearly 1500 ABs since leaving the Pirates and still averaging 26 homeruns and 94 walks per 162 games. Too bad is more of a LFer at this point,  But certainly near the top of the barrel in terms of  veteran outfield depth 

Adding Voit would definitely give us a weapon against righties, while Clutch could add a spark against lefties. Those seem like they could be two low-cost adds to give the offense a bit of an all around boost.

2019-21 vs. RHP:

llf1cao.png

2019-21 vs. LHP:

tCGhR8h.png

Community Moderator

The Phillies got 4 oWAR out of Cutch for $50 million? Yikes. 

I feel like Cutch is going to want to be on a contender and we might be his best bet. Plus you are getting a well-liked veteran. I wonder if he could be had for 2/$15M or so + some incentives. That would be a good price for a guy who crushes lefties. Plus TT's splits favor righties. So he compliments what we already have. 

8 minutes ago, owbc said:

Plus TT's splits favor righties. So he compliments what we already have. 

Taylor isn't horrible against righties but still better against lefties. Maybe would be McCutchen/Taylor/Renfroe more often than not against lefties and Yelich on bench or DH.

McCutchen at this point is a terrible fielder. Yelich, which everyone here seems to think is terrible, was 2 OAA in left field last year. McCutchen was -5 OAA. Other stats agree. McCutchen has the bat to play corner OF at an average level but not the glove. He would be a situational player at DH.