Brewer Fanatic

Hi, My name is... and my Brewer Fandom...

Seth Stohs

Hi all, 

My name is Seth Stohs, and like Brock, I am one of the Twins Daily founders and owners, writer, editor, scheduler, etc. I'm really excited about this site. Since the Brewers went to the National League, I've become a fan. At Twins Daily, I write about anything and everything, but my focus over 19 years of blogging has most often been on the minor leagues. I definitely have a passion for prospects, both top prospects and career-minor leaguers. 

So, in my attempt to get to know this community and hopefully become a part of it, I thought it would be fun to have a Get to Know 'Em on each other... to do that, here are some questions to consider... 

1.) Where are you from? I'm from a small town in west-central Minnesota and now live in Hockeytown USA. (Warroad, MN)

2.) Age Range? (I'm in my 40s, mid)

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net? 

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? (two years at college, Concordia in Moorhead)

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player? (For me, it was Kirby Puckett, Matt Lawton and probably Berrios and Garver, who are now gone... for the Brewers? Well, I've been able to talk to Molitor quite a bit in press conferences when he was managing the Twins. I went to a game at County Stadium in about 1987. Dale Sveum became a favorite... I also really liked the Ben Oglivie swing. 

6.) Favorite Twitter follows?

7.) Other interests outside of baseball. 

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net... 

• Like 1

while i love content like this, i'm not a fan of seeing it in a forum devoted to the milwaukee brewers major league baseball team.

i also hope that people start their own posts in the appropriate forum (perhaps it's called "get to know 'em"), rather than highjacking someone else's thread. if the thread's to be about you, you start a new thread.

p.s. i realize that i've highjacked this thread, but i think in order to properly flourish, there needs to be a separate forum for threads like this.

• Like 1

Welcome, Seth, my name is Anton.  I'll play.

1.) Where are you from? From suburban Milwaukee; lived here all my life except for four college years in Missouri

2.) Age Range? Mid 50's

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net? Since day one

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Helped coach my son's Park & Rec League team; that's about it

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player?  I'm always a fan of the speedy outfielder

6.) Favorite Twitter follows?  No Twitter.  Makes my life much happier

7.) Other interests outside of baseball.  I study history and philosophy.  Also sell stuff on eBay as a side hustle

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net...   The moderation on Brewerfan.net has done an outstanding job of keeping the trolls out and keeping the focus on baseball. It's amazing that a place like this could exist for 20 years!  

1.) Where are you from? Appleton, Milwaukee and Chicago suburbs

2.) Age Range? Mid 30’s

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net? Since Keith Ginter needed to be freed

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Church league softball

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player?  Prince Fielder, Valerio De los Santos, Corbin Burnes

6.) Favorite Twitter follows?  No Twitter.  

7.) Other interests outside of baseball.  Chess

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net...   It’s the only place I’ve known for all the ups and downs of being a Brewers fan.

• Like 1

I like this. Nice for me to see some info about people who I usually see through screen names and avatars too.

1) From: Fox cites, but lived in the Twin Cities and Quad Cities (which are somehow blackout territory... yuck).

2) early late 30s, haha. Older by the day.

3) Been reading BF since like 2004. Posting for 10-15 years.

4) I never really played baseball past youth ball. Love sports but am more of a runner/fitness guy and had lots of other interests.

5) My favorite Brewer ever is Carlos Gomez. So much fun. Just was always himself. Mark Loretta is underappreciated. The guy was awesome. Currently, I'll say Adams. He's in the Gomez mold.

6) I write fiction, so that's my Twitter list. Love reading Nate Silver, though.

7) I read a lot and love film, especially international film. But also college hoops and soccer.

? Community here is great. Lots of people who think hard about baseball and take the long view while still appreciating the irrational emotional loyalty of fandom.

• Like 1

1) From: Have lived in Green Bay since college, born and raised in Kenosha

2) Just turned 30 a little over a month ago

3) Been reading Brewerfan since about 08

4) I played baseball into Middle School but was much more of a Basketball player 

5) My favorite Brewer ever is Derrick Turnbow, i fell in love with the long haired dude who would just fire the ball in there, Currently, I'd say it's Freddy or Urias

6) I follow so many people it's tough to single out specific ones. For Brewers specific though I like BadgerNoonan & Rcon14 alot

7) I enjoy working out, watching sports, and drinking beer with friends lol

? it's the best place for Brewers discussions by a Longshot with posters using reasoning and having facts to back up their opinions

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hey Seth, nice to hear from you. I actually lived in the Twin Schitties for 12 years. All up and down Minneapolis and St. Paul. I owned a house across form St. Paul up past the bluffs of Ohio St. and George. And, I finally sold it the year before COVID began. Even made some money on the closing. Wild wild world. Love the Boundary Waters with a passion. The lands of Northern Wisconsin and Northern Minnesota - without borders - are a seamless and wonderful landscape...filled with beauty for mile after mile. I consider both Wisconsin and Minnesota my original homes - I grew up for 18 years in Wisconsin, spent formative years in Minnesota...and then returned to farm my very first season in the Driftless region of SW Wisconsin which is, once again, seamless across border into the same types of lands from Red Wing and South thereof in Minnesottttta. 

•  

1.) Where are you from?

I'm originally from a suburb West of Milwaukee, WI - Brookfield - but haven't been back there since I left high school and haven't lived in a suburb since. I'm now a man of the country and my home is on 70 acres of a mountain valley NE of Spokane, Washington on the Washington/Idaho border.

2.) Age Range?

I'm mid 40's

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net? 

I had been lurking and reading for years. But, I really just joined sometime last year.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? 

I played traveling baseball into my middle high school years for, what was then, Cooper in Waukesha, WI. I played some in high school but I was a 3 sport athlete and ultimately went to DI college as a gk for soccer. My sports focus shifted once I started getting offers in my early years of high school. 

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite under-appreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player? 

As a kid, I was obsessed with Robin Yount. I wrote him a letter and was interviewed on TV when it was rumored he might leave. He is a Brewers legend and, due to my childhood, he will always hold a place in my heart. Underappreciated? I have to go ol Mark Loretta. He was just such an underappreciated player with an old man's game that was a joy to watch. My current favorite Brewers player is Wily Adames. When he is healthy and clicking he is a true joy to watch.

6.) Favorite Twitter follows?

I don't do the Social Medias, really.

7.) Other interests outside of baseball. 

Plants, forestry, land stewardship, farming, self-sufficiency, mead/cider/brewing, Bucks and Packers. I also, oddly, dabble in crytpocurrency quite a bit which is very strange for my other interests.

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net... 

The broad spectrum of knowledge about Brewers and baseball and the incredible Minor League coverage. I learn SO much about the Minor League system here with all @damuelle and @Mass Haas do. It is worth its weight in baseball gold. 

• Like 1

1) NW WI

2) 40

3) As long as I can remember frequenting message boards....Although it took me 5-7 years or so to join and post.

4) Small High School

5) Dave Nilsson, BJ Surhoff, Scott Fletcher, Geoff Jenkins, Chuck Crim, Molitor, Bill Wegman, Cal Eldred, Pat Listach, Jeff Cirillo, John Jaha, Ben Sheets, Jonathan Lucroy, Carlos Gomez, Robin Yount.  Rob Deer.

6) What is Twitter?

7) none. College basketball and football.

? 

Hello..  

I'm 59.  Spent K-2 in West Allis, then my family moved to Brookfield in the summer of 1970.  Graduated from Brookfield Central in 1980, and UW-Whitewater in 1985.  Got married in 1988, and remain so today.

We have lived in Delavan, 3 separate stops in New Jersey, Jacksonville, FL and a 3-year stint in Singapore, before returning to Brookfield 11 years ago.

I'm lucky enough to have my age aligned with the history of the Brewers franchise.  I remember cheering for Tommy Harper and Marty Pattin, through today, with a few dips in my fandom during various times in my life.

I posted on and off on the old site since 2003.  Quite a bit less in recent years.

I never played competitive sports.

I've had several favorite Brewers over the years..  Marty Pattin, George Scott, Cecil Cooper, Sixto Lezcano, Ted Simmons, Mike Caldwell, Dan Plesac in earlier years..Prince Fielder, Carlos Gomez, Brandon Woodruff more recently.

I follow a bunch a people on Twitter..  Mostly news, politics and baseball.

I don't have a lot of pursuits that aren't baseball related.  I am drawn more toward history and collecting than the pitch-by-pitch following of today's game.  I used to have a ticket package at Miller Park, but it was time to let that expire when I realized that I was bored after 2 hours.  I'm too fidgety to sit through 9 innings of 3TO baseball.

The best part of BF.net was the banter.  Lots of good humor that comes with being a fan.  

• Like 1

1.) Where are you from? grew up in Sheboygan Falls, moved to MKE in 1990. Now I live in Fox Point

2.) Age Range? Mid 40's

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net? A long time, sometime around 08 I'd guess

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? played till like 6th grade and some softball in HS

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player?  Yount growing up, now it's probably Burnes/Woodruff

7.) Other interests outside of baseball.  Soccer mostly

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net...   A lot of fans and not a lot of homers.  

• Like 2

1.) Where are you from? I'm from a small town in NE WI, went to Chicago for college and early professional life, then moved up into the outlying western burbs of Minneapolis about 6 years ago.

2.) Age Range? (41)

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net?  Since college, probably around 20 years 

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? College and a summer playing independent league baseball between my 4th and 5th years of school.  Got to meet and play with some great players despite playing at a small college, and several summer league teammates went on to become very successful MLBers.

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player?  Ben Sheets would be my favorite player, just because he was the show for a handful of doldrum Brewer seasons as their organization was building towards something consistently better.  Favorite underappreciated Brewer IMO would be Jeff Cirrillo - really good all-around 3B that didn't get the notoriety he deserved because his prime was in the midst of the steroid era and his game wasn't build around power.  Favorite current Brewer player on the mound would be Hader and position player-wise would be Adames.

6.) Favorite Twitter follows?  What's a twitter?

7.) Other interests outside of baseball.   Fishing, outdoors, chasing around my 3 kids

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net...The variety of topics, both related to and completely unrelated to baseball, that are discussed quite knowledgeably in various forums by people likely from many different walks of life/perspectives in a generally respectable and lighthearted way.

• Like 1

1.) Where are you from?  Neenah WI.  Grew up in New London.  Lived 9 years in Superior

2.) Age Range? Early 50s

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net? June 2017

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? None, unfortunately

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player?  Prince Fielder.  Always like Axford

7.) Other interests outside of baseball.  Lots:  Wargaming, Shooting/Reloading.  Playing ArmA3 with my brothers and kids on Saturdays.  Model building.

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net...   Lots of people who really know stuff.

• Like 1

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.

1.) Where are you from? Rural SW Wisconsin.  Been in the area most of my life (other than 5 years near Manitowoc)

2.) Age Range? Mid 50's

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net?  A long time (even if I don't post much).  My avatar shows off my kids that are now 24 and 16

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Just little league stuff as well as a few years as an assistant coach for high school teams.

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player?  Favorite of all time is Cecil Cooper (my son was smart enough to name his dog "Cecil" to stay on my good side after years of stories).  Big Bill Hall fan as well as Carlos Gomez over the years.  Fell in love with Hall after his back-to-back games of beating the Reds on a homerun and squeeze bunt.

6.) Favorite Twitter follows?  Mostly education stuff as I'm a former teacher that has moved to the "dark side" as a school superintendent.

7.) Other interests outside of baseball.   I do play by play for our high school's live feed of basketball and softball.  I even got to do play by play for Madison and Rockford tv last year for the Beloit Snappers first game at ABC Field.  My son was in charge of their media last year and they found out about 2 hours before the opening game that the radio feed wouldn't come over the tv.

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net..  The fact that you can learn about just about anything.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Welcome guys! 

1.) Where are you from? From Peshtigo, about 45 miles north of Green Bay in extreme northeast Wisconsin. Now live in the Eagle River area, in extreme north central Wisconsin. Apparently I like snow.

2.) Age Range? 41

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net? Since college. So over 20 years.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Frosh year of high school. Slow pitch bar league through my 20s. Now a gum-chewing Little League/Pre League coach.

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player? Favorite Brewers player of all time is easy ... Robin Yount. Favorite underappreciated player is an odd one ... Tyler Houston. Although he was a apparently a jerk. Favorite current Brewer is Luis Urias. I dig the scrappy.

6.) Favorite Twitter follows? Hmm ... Haudricourt was always a fun follow if you dig controversy. Robert Murray is still great, and was awesome when he was covering the Brewers. Sammon is good.

7.) Other interests outside of baseball. I coach baseball and football, which takes up a ton of time. Enjoy fishing and outdoor sports.

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net...   That is is sane, and isn't full of moronic hot takes by posters just looking to create waves. Yeah, the takes do heat up from time to time, but most are respectful, and the dummies tend to get weeded out pretty quickly.

1.) Where are you from? Erie, PA but have lived in Pittsburgh, PA the last 16 years

2.) Age Range? early 40s

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net? 2011!

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? 9th grade, I found it was not my sport to play when, even when my dad was the umpire, I managed to walk an entire team in order.  

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player? Paul Molitor!  My dad (who was from Milwaukee) in the late 80's, some how got Bud Selig's address, and mailed him a baseball asking if he could get Paul to sign it for me, and then I got it for christmas that year.  I was *obsessed* with the Brewers and Molitor, so it was like, a holy grail moment for me.  The ball sits on my desk to this day.  

6.) Favorite Twitter follows? n/a

7.) Other interests outside of baseball. Music!  

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net...   the moderation and actual well thought out conversations.  Also, the minor league coverage is incredible here.  I do not go to any other 'blog' sites because I can literally get it all here.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

1.) Where are you from? Born in Milwaukee, Grew up in Wauwatosa, retired in New Berlin. lived in 4 states in between.

2.) Age Range? 66+

3.) How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net? I was a lurker for about 5 years and just made my first post yesterday.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? High School (my kids say I played with Shoeless Joe Jackson, but we all know that's a joke except for my lawyer who drafts a new will after every mention).

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player? That's like trying to name my favorite child! I don't have a favorite, they are all special in their own way. Underappreciated? Larry Hisle. He and Sal Bando put Milwaukee on the map as a destination for free agents. His time with the Brewers was mostly impacted by injuries and the fact he was past his prime when he signed, but he is still the Brewers 3rd all-time for OPS+ at 142.

6.) Favorite Twitter follows? none. stopped social media ~10 years ago and do DIY for family/friends.

7.) Other interests outside of baseball. Woodworking, Gardening, Multimedia.

8.) Favorite part of BrewerFan.net... Informed opinions and aggregation of brewers/WI sports info.  Least Favorite? pissing battles where 2 or more posters just won't stop asserting their opinion is the correct opinion.

1) Grew up between Central Wisconsin & Green Bay.  Lived in Madison (College), and spent a few years in SE Wisconsin before settling back in the Greater Mosinee area.

2) Age = early 40s

3) Joined BrewerFan shortly after it started, having migrated from Fastball.com's Brewers forum.

4) Quit playing organized baseball before high school.

5) Kolten Wong may well be my favorite current Brewer, and as someone who used to be a catcher, B.J. Surhoff is probably one of my favorite underappreciated Brewers players from back in the day.

6) @kenpomeroy / @BarryistheDon / @TheAVClub

7) I'm a club curler, who also enjoys gaming, movies / TV, alt-rock music, plus Packers & Badgers sports.

8 ) The community here is the reason I keep coming back.  Reasoned and thoughful, rather than the "hot take" crowd you sometimes see for sports discussion.

1.) Where are you from? South Central Wisconsin, specifically Madison for most of the last 37 years.

2.) Age Range: Top of Generation X.

3.) How long have you been frequenting Brewerfan.net? Since 2003.  Got roped in as staff in 2005 or 2006.

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? I have no baseball/softball skills.  None.

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player? This is like asking a parent to choose their favorite child.  I've had many favorites since I began following the Brewers in 1982.  I will say that my first Brewers fan crush was on Gorman Thomas.

6.) Favorite Twitter follows? Many baseball people and fans (including some of you), Wisconsin media, library Twitter because I'm a librarian.

7.) Other interests outside of baseball: Libraries and museums, University of Wisconsin volleyball (Edited to add: REIGNING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS), Wisconsin history, cats.

8.) Favorite part of Brewerfan.net: Realizing there are many other fans who are as into the Brewers as I am.  It's also nice that y'all don't make me feel weird for being "the girl" on the forum.  ?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

1)  Grew up in Green Bay.  Retired with hubby to FL in 2005.

2) 68

3) Since the early 80s.

4) Never even played softball

5)  List is too long...

6) Don't do social media at all.

7) Badgers, Packers, Bucks, Sweet Adelines

8.) Like talking Brewer baseball with other likeminded fans.  

Hawing - you are not the only girl on this forum.   ?‍♀️

1.) Grew up in Wauwatosa, WI, have been in Portland, OR since 1996

2.) I was literally born the day that Bud Selig was officially granted the Seattle Pilots in court. 

3.) Since 2007 I think? Needed to find likeminded people that wanted Ned Yost to no longer be employed by the Brewers

4.) Played throughout high school, walked on in college and spent a year doing bullpen catching. Coach moved on after my FR year, and I decided to focus on schoolwork instead. 

5.) Favorite Brewer all time is Yount.  

6.) I'm on Twitter mainly for things dealing with non-sports stuff. Ones that I love that won't spur unwanted conversation - Spencer Hall (@edsbs), Michael Schur (@kentremendous), David Roth (@david_j_roth), Drew Magary (@drewmagary)

7.) Cocktails, spirits, and distilling. Always been into geekier side of beverages be it coffee, beer, or wine. But really love the diversity of spirits Was part owner of a distillery out here that made gin, brandy, and whiskey (both making our own and finishing sourced spirits). We ended up selling to a bigger brand in 2020 after telling my partners repeatedly that it was a bad idea. And, as I predicted that company killed our brand after just over 1 year. But, I think my partners looking for a path to recoup some of the money, and they did. Which I'm happy about. Still miss it all as I was learning how to distill, use yeasts to create different flavors, aging, blending. But, as the saying goes, if you want to make a little money in distilling, you need to start with a lot of money. 

8.) Watching the wild swings during game threads. 

1.) Where are you from? Fond du Lac until junior year of HS; then Black River Falls to finish up; Decorah, IA for college, and now living in Kingman, AZ as an elementary music teacher (five years to retirement, five years to retirement, five years to . . . . )

2.) Age Range: I am presently enjoying my 50th trip around the sun (which makes me 49--you wouldn't believe how many people got that wrong when I announced that on my birthday this year)

3.) How long have you been frequenting Brewerfan.net? Since 2004 or so.  Using Hawing's line: Got roped in as staff in 2007 or 2008.  Wish I could do more, but I visit the site daily

4.) Highest level of baseball/softball played? Didn't play organized baseball until high school, but probably played ball in the vacant lot behind my house every day of every summer for about 10 years as a kid.  Ended up as the starting centerfielder by my senior year with some LH pitching in there now and then.  I walked on in college and promptly walked off about three weeks in when we had a practice in the gymnasium and I couldn't see the ball in the yellow gym lights (never could--even in high school) and took one right in the noggin while throwing the ball around.  Haven't played much since, but still love the game and love a good game of (outdoor) catch.

5.) Favorite Brewers Player, and favorite underappreciated Brewers player, and if you want, favorite current Brewers player?   Always loved Jim Gantner.  Also fond of Ben Sheets, Geoff Jenkins, Jeff Cirillo, Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, Gorman Thomas, Cecil Cooper, Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Moose Haas, Corbin Burnes, and Craig Counsell.

6.) Favorite Twitter follows? I have never tweeted but I do follow the Brewers writers for their information.  Plus some fantasy football stuff.  And Andrew Siciliano.  But that's it.  Sports stuff is the only reason I use Twitter.

7.) Other interests outside of baseball:  Football, fantasy football, College hoops, baseball cards, video games, movies, karaoke, poker/playing cards, camping, cooking, betting on football and horses, going on walks, and PITCH League Baseball (the 30-team Diamond Mind Baseball league that my cousin and I run)

8.) Favorite part of Brewerfan.net:  I can come here to read up on stuff and get good, solid information.  I don't have to put up with trolls and vulgarity.  I can truly be a fan, even if that means I just read other peoples' posts.  Hopefully with the transition, I will be invigorated to get back into the swing of things here.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

1) Born and bred in Racine but spent 30 years in the Washington, D. C. area, most of that in the Blue Ridge of West Virginia.

2) 65+

3) Been on Brewerfan for decades

4) Tried out for high school JV team, thought I did pretty well but no dice

5) Robin Yount

6) Don't do twitter

7) I worked on the Consumer Price Index, I retired just when it got interesting.  Naturally.

8.) The fact that flame wars are not allowed.

1) Steve, born in Milwaukee, lived in Menomonee Falls for 50+ years now. 

2) 60's

3) Been checking out  Brewerfan for a few years now. 

4) Played Softball into my 50's

5) Robin Yount

6) Twitter follow: Mostly sports & political follows

7) Football is #1, MMA, NBA, NHL. Like camping, deer hunting, fishing. 

? mostly intelligent Brewer discussions.

Where are you from? Singapore born and bred. I had also lived 2 years in Canada and 4 years in Milwaukee from 1994 to 1998. 

Age Range? 47

How long have you been frequenting BrewersFan.net?  Since 2004, 18 years how time flies. 

Favorite Brewers Player? Ryan Braun

favorite underappreciated Brewers player? Jeff Cirillo

favorite current Brewers player? Corbin Burnes

Favorite Twitter follows?  I don't have a twitter account, but I do check out the Bucks and Brewers twitter from time to time.

Other interests outside of baseball.   basketball, soccer, tennis and badminton

Favorite part of BrewerFan.net... I enjoy reading the forum for Brewers news, rumors and opinions from posters.