Brewer Fanatic

rule changes for rosters in 2022

djoctagone

this thread will be devoted to rules changes for roster management in 2022.

--no surprise here, but universal designated hitter.

--players can no longer be sent on optional assignment unlimited times in a given season. a player can be sent to the minor leagues on optional assignment a maximum of five times. if the club wishes to send him to the minor leagues after being optioned five times, he must be placed on outright waivers. any team claiming him would be forced to place him on their 26-man roster, because he's already hit that limit of five optional assignments in the season.

Oh man that roster juggling is going to be interesting for clubs like Milwaukee

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Get ready for the griping from players that lose out, like when Braun won RoY over Tulowitzki by 2 points, to go from eye roll moments to actual anger because the stakes have been raised. Winner gets the service time bonus the loser is left in the cold.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

--players can no longer be sent on optional assignment unlimited times in a given season. a player can be sent to the minor leagues on optional assignment a maximum of five times. if the club wishes to send him to the minor leagues after being optioned five times, he must be placed on outright waivers. any team claiming him would be forced to place him on their 26-man roster, because he's already hit that limit of five optional assignments in the season.

I've been meaning to ask this but keep forgetting: has anyone seen data on how many players would have been affected by this five promotion rule last season? While teams certainly shuffle players back and forth with too much regularity, five is also a really high number.

Glad about the options rules for the players but hate it for the Brewers.

Are taxi squads gone now and other COVID stuff?

It is in the deal players can't travel to Canada without the jab.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Double hearers 7 or 9 innings ? Is the runner on 2nd to start extras still a thing? 3 batter minimum still a thing ?

(1) 9 Inning Double Headers

(2) NO Extra Innings Ghost Runners - Standard and historical Extras rules

(3) I haven't seen anything regarding the 3 batter minimum being retracted

Double hearers 7 or 9 innings ? Is the runner on 2nd to start extras still a thing? 3 batter minimum still a thing ?

They are back to 9 innings

Runner on 2nd is gone

3 Batter minimum I have not heard anything on that yet. So I don't know.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've been meaning to ask this but keep forgetting: has anyone seen data on how many players would have been affected by this five promotion rule last season? While teams certainly shuffle players back and forth with too much regularity, five is also a really high number.

I haven't seen any amalgamated data, no. BUT, even with an elevated cap of 5 options, for a team like the Brewers who love bullpen games throughout the season and Starters on restricted innings counts it's going to impact their approach more so than most other teams.

Get ready for the griping from players that lose out, like when Braun won RoY over Tulowitzki by 2 points, to go from eye roll moments to actual anger because the stakes have been raised. Winner gets the service time bonus the loser is left in the cold.

Under this system, though, the 2nd place player would at least get bonus pool $$$.

I agree with you, really. It's weird and flawed. But if you played well enough to be in that conversation, you probably earned cash you wouldn't have previously, and the higher minimum salary is good, I think.

(1) 9 Inning Double Headers

(2) NO Extra Innings Ghost Runners - Standard and historical Extras rules

(3) I haven't seen anything regarding the 3 batter minimum being retracted

I think I'm going to miss the runner starting on 2nd rule. Dont care much about the rest.

mlb announces rule changes for 2020:

--pitchers and two-way players must remain on the injured list for a minimum of 15 days--an increase from 10 days.

nix that for 2020. it's a 10-day injured list for pitchers and position players.

a separate special injured list will be created for covid-related concerns. there is no requisite stay for this injured list. any player who tests positive, has symptoms, or has confirmed exposure to another who tested positive can be placed on this special injured list.

we'll have to wait and see what happens with the requisite stay on the injured list and optional assignment for pitchers and two-way players.

we'll also have to wait and see if the special covid-19 injured list will exist and if it has the same rules as before (the player is removed from the 40-man roster, and an outbreak allows for replacement players to simply be returned to the minor leagues without outright waivers).

Glad to have normal extra innings game rules....As tough as it might be on the players, the ghost runner was just too gimmicky--and I find the possibility of a 20 inning game romantic/epic/legendary...

That said, I could see how perhaps teams could be granted additional roster spots for pitchers in the days following extra innings games.

Are taxi squads gone now and other COVID stuff?

It is in the deal players can't travel to Canada without the jab.

canada's current laws won't allow athletes without covid-19 vaccination into the country. if a player misses games in canada because of vaccine issues, he will be docked pay and service time. curious if unvaxxed players missing these games would be put on a special covid-19 injured list (likely removing them from the 40-man) or a similar restricted list.

the blue jays were scheduled to play the brewers in 2022. it's in milwaukee, so barring a world series, this rule won't affect brewers players.

the blue jays were scheduled to play the brewers in 2022. it's in milwaukee, so barring a world series, this rule won't affect brewers players.

it should be noted that starting 2023, each mlb team will play against each and every mlb team for at least one series.

this increases the likelihood that the brewers would be traveling to toronto, perhaps as often as every other year. if canada continues its ban on unvaccinated athletes next year, this will most likely affect brewers players. one would think that the blue jays wouldn't be playing an away series in milwaukee in back-to-back years.

what else don't we know?

--unsure if taxi squads will continue this season.

--how/will the rule 5 draft be handled for this season?

--what's the deadline for the opt-out clause for non-roster invitees who must be told they've made the opening day roster or paid a $100,00 retention bonus?

--and will the qualifications for a non-roster invitee to require an opt-out clause and retention bonus be the same as they were in the past (must have at least six years of service time, and must have finished the 2021 season on a major league roster or major league injured list)?

--we also need to verify roster expansion for doubleheaders, in september, and for doubleheaders in september.

MLB Tonight posted the graphic for about the last 5 seasons. I don't remember the exact stats but last year it was about 30 players while in previous seasons it was around 0-3 players. There was a significant rise in 2021.

let's assume that the roster management rules for covid-19 outbreaks in 2021 remain the same moving forward under the new cba.

will a player on the 40-man roster on optional assignment who is recalled during an outbreak as a replacement be returned (not optioned) to the minor leagues when one of the original outbreak players is returned to the active roster? and therefore, in being returned to the minor leagues (not optioned), does that not count against the five options rule?

if it does count against the five options rule, will clubs be more likely in an outbreak to activate players on minor league contracts (i.e. not on the 40-man), knowing that they can just return them to the minor leagues without outright waivers and without eliminating one of five allowed optional assignments of a 40-man player?

Edited by djoctagone

it will be interesting to note what defines an optional assignment. we know that under the previous cba, a player sent on optional assignment was required to physically report to the club he was being optioned to. (remember being puzzled in 2018 when keon broxton was optioned to class a wisconsin in late august? it was actually a courtesy move as broxton had an expected childbirth, and all he had to do was drive to grand chute to make the optional assignment official.)

so, let's assume that physically reporting to the minor league club makes the optional assignment official. mlb clubs are notorious for letting optioned players take some time to report back to their minor league club (much to the chagrin of minor league managers, whose players are whisked away on planes and in cars when they're needed by the big league club, but can take days to return--forcing the affiliate to play shorthanded). we saw last year where an optioned player would finish out the rest of the road trip with the brewers before heading to where ever his minor league club was, or given a day to get his affairs in order in milwaukee, only to be conveniently recalled because another player was put on the injured list or the special covid-19 injured list.

curious if mlb clubs will be able to get away with this slowpoke return to the minor leagues if an optional assignment only counts if the player physically reports to the minor league club, and be able to yo-yo him back without eliminating one of his five options. my guess is no--that once you're optioned, it counts, even if you happen to be recalled a day later to replace an injured player.

the major league rule 5 draft for rule 4 players and international players who had hopes of becoming rule 6 players has been canceled for this season.

actually, i have no idea if the new cba still defines the rule 4 draft and rule 6 players. i hope that the rule numbers haven't changed.