Brewer Fanatic

Hello, everyone. My name is Brock Beauchamp and I have big news about BF.net, please read

Hi everyone, this will come as a surprise to some of you so I’ll just tear off the band-aid: I’m part of a group of baseball fans that has purchased BrewerFan.net. I’ve been in talks with Brian for awhile and we reached an agreement last week.

We own and operate Twins Daily (maybe you’ve heard of us) and I want to bring that same enthusiasm to the Brewers community (as a former WI native, my “second team” so I’m personally very invested in this site, just as I’m invested in Twins Daily).

Change is really hard and we’re hopeful all your great moderators and community leaders will stay on board through this transition; our goal is to modernize the community at BrewerFan but not change how the forum operates. You’ve all built a community that you enjoy and we want to preserve the community for years to come. Our entire mission at Twins Daily centers around community so all of you aren’t only important to us, you’re vital to our core mission of presenting everyone a voice and audience to create and participate in Brewers content.

What we will do is surround this community with daily news, video, user blogs, and a slew of other features we offer our users on Twins Daily. We’re not some giant conglomerate like SB Nation or their ilk, we’re just five guys who really like baseball and have spent the past couple of decades learning how to survive onslaughts from Facebook, Reddit, SBN, et al and maintain not just a community, but a thriving community. You’ll all see me on this forum regularly, participating in game threads and talking Brewers so you’ll all get to know me over the course of the season, whenever it starts (sigh).

There will be visual changes to the site, of course. We will migrate to a modern platform and the visuals of the site will change considerably. When it’s possible to do so, I will invite all of you to check out the new site on a temporary staging ground so you can acclimate yourselves with the technology and features, of which there are so many that I can’t even begin to list them here.

When will this happen? Well, we’re not sure, baseball itself may play into how quickly we move on specific pieces of the new site. If owners continue to lock out the players, we may not see a new site for a month. If the lockout ends suddenly, we may move up the timeline in an attempt to launch before Opening Day.

In 2-3 weeks, I hope to be able to show all of you the test site but our timelines are very fluid on all of this.

Your usernames, passwords, post histories, and account information will transition to the new site, though how you log in will change slightly (email address to log in, which is more secure than logging in with a front-facing username). All of the content in the forums will remain on the new site, only with a different visual presentation. All of your years of content and participation will still be here.

That’s about all I can think of right now. If you have any questions or input, please share below. If there are features you’re interested in seeing, please share below.

This will be a very collaborative effort and I always try to be responsive to user requests for site improvements so if you have ideas, we welcome your input on pretty much anything and everything.

I’m really looking forward to the 2022 season and getting to know more of you along the way!

I also want to include our mission statement from Twins Daily so you can get a feel for who we are and our ultimate goals for creating a new community:

Twins Daily is more than just daily news about the Twins. It’s a community built on three pillars: read, react and write. You need not participate in all three, but they’re available, and if you’re willing to reach out, you’ll find a far richer experience. So let’s talk about them.

Read

Obviously, there are the stories. The site was founded by four bloggers, all of whom understood the value of providing their own unique coverage of the Twins. Non-traditional voices - whether they are sabermetric, prospect news, mechanical analysis, cynical, hopeful, satirical, whimsical – are the core of what we are. We want to be a place where baseball coverage is expanded in non-traditional ways. And we try to foster that organically by encouraging our readers to….

React

At the end of every story, you’ll find a comment area where you can react to our stories, provided you register. But we want you to be in the driver’s see, too, so we also have our forums, where you can ask your own questions, post your own opinions, and explore your own topics. The rules are pretty simple: don’t be an ass. Our moderators work hard to keep it civil, and our community works hard to keep them welcoming. We want you to find your voice because we want some of you to…

Write

Our blog area provides a place for those called to write to further develop their writing style. Any member can start their own blogs and post when and how they want. It’s a little like playing in the minors – the crowds are smaller, but that also means it’s an excellent place to make mistakes or try a writing style that might be out of your comfort zone. The comments are generally encouraging, and when we think you’re ready, you’ll be invited to contribute regularly to the front page, where we pay for your work.

Twins Daily goes beyond the traditional publish-only model that corporate media embraces because we’re trying to do something different. We’re trying to develop a community that can gather, share and ultimately support itself. You, just be reading this, are already part of that community. We hope you’ll continue exploring and reaching out to other Minnesota baseball fans. We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Welcome to the board.

Allow me to thank Brian & the core group that initially built this site. It was in 2001 or so that a group of Brewers fans who posted regularly on the ESPN boards desired a better place to discuss Brewers baseball. Brian volunteered to build this site, along with major contributions from Patrick (colbyjack), along with others. Thanks very much to that initial core group who built this Brewers oasis.

I'll look forward to where you're going to take the forum in the future, Brock.

• Like 1

Welcome to the board.

Allow me to thank Brian & the core group that initially built this site. It was in 2001 or so that a group of Brewers fans who posted regularly on the ESPN boards desired a better place to discuss Brewers baseball. Brian volunteered to build this site, along with major contributions from Patrick (colbyjack), along with others. Thanks very much to that initial core group who built this Brewers oasis.

Wait, this site was borne out of the ESPN board?

That's... crazy. My Twins forum was also borne out of the ESPN board.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Welcome to the board.

Wait, this site was borne out of the ESPN board?

That's... crazy. My Twins forum was also borne out of the ESPN board.

That makes us brothers or cousins or some sort of kin. I already feel at home.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Yep somewhere out there one of those efforts to archive the internet has Toby's original Power 50 prospect list posted on the ESPN message boards. The dedication in those days to name 50 vaguely worthwhile prospects of the Brewers was intense. I also remember the early years when we had events at Snapper's games.
  • Like 1

I'd love to see a "like" button, or something similar.

That would save people from posting things like "yes", "agreed", etc...

Just a thought...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Just a thought...

Yep, already part of the package! At first I'll just use the base Twins Daily reacts (currently Like, Sad, Yikes Bro, ***, and Incorrect) but those can be easily changed to fit whatever the community here wants.

Okay... so one of them is starred out here. :D

Obviously, that one will change.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Just a thought...

Agreed :)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Just a thought...

Yep, already part of the package! At first I'll just use the base Twins Daily reacts (currently Like, Sad, Yikes Bro, ***, and Incorrect) but those can be easily changed to fit whatever the community here wants.

Okay... so one of them is starred out here. :D

Obviously, that one will change.

;)

just "yikes" is sufficient. no need to exclude other gender identities.

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

But "Bro" is gender nuetral.

It's used for male, female, whatever, even animals... If it has a pulse, it can be a "bro."

FYI

Edited by turborickey

Hopefully there will be enough positive changes to outweigh getting pelted and assaulted with a trillion ads all over the screen. The front page of Twins Daily features 13 ads by my count. including multiple obnoxious pop-up ones. The forum is a little less aggressive, but every time you click on something new causes the pop-ups to once again resurface. Those ads are even more annoying on mobile...holy smokes. Edited by MrTPlush

Hopefully there will be enough positive changes to outweigh getting pelted and assaulted with a trillion ads all over the screen. The front page of Twins Daily features 13 ads by my count. including multiple obnoxious pop-up ones. The forum is a little less aggressive, but every time you click on something new causes the pop-ups to once again resurface.

DISLIKE!

:(

Welcome Brock!

I've been following Brewerfan.net for 20 years and this community has been such a mainstay of my life over that period of time. Brian and co. really developed a special place here for fans that live for the Brewers a little more than your average Joe and I can't say how much I appreciate that. During many lean years, this site's coverage and discussion of the minor league players that were working their way up through the system not only provided a hope for the future of the franchise but gave me something entertaining to follow beyond the big league team. When the team started competing and opening up their payroll, this site provided a place where really smart, logical, and (for a much larger part than other sites) realistic discussion took place regarding free agency, trade possibilities, and full organizational makeup. And of course, on gamedays, it's always been amazing to have a place to go knowing others were "there with you" watching the team out on the field. I honestly don't know what I would have done with all the hours of my life spent on this site the past 20 years if it didn't exist :laughing

With that said, I'm looking forward to the site refresh and new features! I'm one who has always been in favor of "like" features. Looking at Twins Daily, I'm also looking forward to an improved mobile experience. And I'm definitely happy to hear that we'll still have our old forums migrated into the new system (please don't miss the "WOAH SOLVDD" forum, very important!).

While things will be changing, it's the community here that's always been amazing and I look forward to seeing you all through and beyond this transition!

• Like 1

Hopefully there will be enough positive changes to outweigh getting pelted and assaulted with a trillion ads all over the screen. The front page of Twins Daily features 13 ads by my count. including multiple obnoxious pop-up ones. The forum is a little less aggressive, but every time you click on something new causes the pop-ups to once again resurface.

DISLIKE!

:(

That would be hard pass for me and the end of being invested to Brewerfan discussions.

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

But "Bro" is gender nuetral.

It's used for male, female, whatever, even animals... If it has a pulse, it can be a "bro."

FYI

I believe dj is being 100% serious and I agree with them on it. Just because you consider “bro” to be gender neutral, doesn’t mean everybody does and it doesn’t change the meaning of we choose to be inclusive with the button (having yikes instead of yikes bro).

Hopefully there will be enough positive changes to outweigh getting pelted and assaulted with a trillion ads all over the screen. The front page of Twins Daily features 13 ads by my count. including multiple obnoxious pop-up ones. The forum is a little less aggressive, but every time you click on something new causes the pop-ups to once again resurface. Those ads are even more annoying on mobile...holy smokes.

There's no beating around the bush; ads suck. But let me address this in two parts:

1. We pride ourselves on paying most of our revenue to our core content creators. We take a very bottom-up approach and nurture and encourage the next generation of writers and video creators and as a result, proportionally we pay *much better* than the corporate conglomerate team sites that have sprung up in the past decade (who shall be left unnamed but we all know who I'm talking about). And we can't do that without the ads. So, yeah, no one likes ads but I hope the content is so good and in-depth that tolerating new ads is something we can all deal with in the long-run.

2. The ads need work. The way ads are delivered on Twins Daily is that our ad provider chooses where they go on the site and then delivers them. Over time, this has led to some "ad bloat" on Twins Daily that I'm not fond of, particularly in the forums. At some point, I will find the time to methodically go through the site, find where ads are populating and why, and then send a list of changes to the ad provider. When will that happen? Dunno, but it's certainly on the list. I use the site more than anybody so if something bugs you, it probably bugs me, too.

I believe dj is being 100% serious and I agree with them on it. Just because you consider “bro” to be gender neutral, doesn’t mean everybody does and it doesn’t change the meaning of we choose to be inclusive with the button (having yikes instead of yikes bro).

If this is how the community feels about that, great, I never even considered that aspect of it. And if the community wants it changed to "Yikes", consider it done.

Hopefully there will be enough positive changes to outweigh getting pelted and assaulted with a trillion ads all over the screen. The front page of Twins Daily features 13 ads by my count. including multiple obnoxious pop-up ones. The forum is a little less aggressive, but every time you click on something new causes the pop-ups to once again resurface. Those ads are even more annoying on mobile...holy smokes.

There's no beating around the bush; ads suck. But let me address this in two parts:

1. We pride ourselves on paying most of our revenue to our core content creators. We take a very bottom-up approach and nurture and encourage the next generation of writers and video creators and as a result, proportionally we pay *much better* than the corporate conglomerate team sites that have sprung up in the past decade (who shall be left unnamed but we all know who I'm talking about). And we can't do that without the ads. So, yeah, no one likes ads but I hope the content is so good and in-depth that tolerating new ads is something we can all deal with in the long-run.

2. The ads need work. The way ads are delivered on Twins Daily is that our ad provider chooses where they go on the site and then delivers them. Over time, this has led to some "ad bloat" on Twins Daily that I'm not fond of, particularly in the forums. At some point, I will find the time to methodically go through the site, find where ads are populating and why, and then send a list of changes to the ad provider. When will that happen? Dunno, but it's certainly on the list. I use the site more than anybody so if something bugs you, it probably bugs me, too.

Again, if new and better content/features outweigh it...then I think people will be okay with it. The mobile browser is pretty concerning though. I am sure a lot of people are like me and sit on their phone with the forum. Ad pop-ups and little 'content videos' appearing as I scroll/click is pretty unbearable. Not to mention the ad provider intentionally makes it so clicking the 'x' is almost impossible without opening the ad on a mobile device.

Now all the random ads that are stationary...meh, you get used to those.

Again, if new and better content/features outweigh it...then I think people will be okay with it. The mobile browser is pretty concerning though. I am sure a lot of people are like me and sit on their phone with the forum. Ad pop-ups and little 'content videos' appearing as I scroll/click is pretty unbearable. Not to mention the ad provider intentionally makes it so clicking the 'x' is almost impossible without opening the ad on a mobile device.

Now all the random ads that are stationary...meh, you get used to those.

Yeah, we're in an awkward space with video, as we just rolled it out last August. We hadn't tried video before then and we're still working out a lot of details.

On the upside, the new site will not launch with video. I'm not sure when it will appear but it won't be at launch.

In other considerations, we're actively exploring a much more robust video platform that gives us granular control over the display, frequency, and ads within videos. We've wanted to do this from day one but we first had to prove video was a working model for us and we could pay content creators because video is *crazy expensive* to host. Now that we're more comfortable and experienced with it, we're confident enough to start spending more money on it and improve the experience because, like you, I'm not very happy with the current presentation.

If this is how the community feels about that, great, I never even considered that aspect of it. And if the community wants it changed to "Yikes", consider it done.

Definitely appreciate the willingness to make changes the community wants, that said I would probably not make a change like that because one or two people voice objection. Maybe take a poll or something. I for example would prefer it how you had it, but I don't want to derail your thread with a back and forth so I'll leave my reasoning out of the post.

I know you've addressed plush's comments pretty thoroughly, but I just want to echo my agreement with them especially his comments on the mobile platform. Dealing with ads as you scroll is whatever, it's the popup stuff that is especially annoying and frankly is enough for me to not bother using it...especially considering how tough they make it to close them with their X placement.