Brewer Fanatic

SOFTBALL - Sijan Field Recon

Nicole the Baker

I took a trip out to Sijan Field today to dig up some info for y'all. Here's what I've got:

Sijan Field is located on KK, just north of the 794 Oklahoma Ave. exit. If you're coming from the south on KK, the field is on the left hand side, just past Cousin's and across the street from Outpost Natural Foods.

As far as parking goes...there is on-street parking on both sides of KK in front of the park, but there is NO LOT. If that area fills up, California St. is just north of the park, and has ample angle parking.

The park isn't anything fancy, but does have 3 diamonds, bathrooms, tennis courts, and a playground. Field #2 is the field located closest to the office/bathroom building, next to the tennis courts. The playground is close enough for kids to play and parents to concurrently watch the game.

There are "no dogs" signs on the fields, but not in the general park area. Take that for what you will. I saw a guy playing fetch with his dog there today without incident.

Just a reminder...alcohol is not allowed in the park.

Hope this helps!

She doesn't recall there being any outfield fences

You guys are just gonna have to hit "little league homers" that get by the OF's and roll forever.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

The park is triangular, and there are 3 diamonds. Home plate of each diamond is located in each corner of the triangle...meaning that all the outfields are just the space in the center - no fences.

If you crack a good one, it'll be heading towards/into another team's outfield...if I am remembering correctly.

that tidbit of info makes me really think that we should play L-LC-RC-R, rather than use a rover. if we leave the gaps open, any ball hit there that would normally be a double, will problably be an inside-the-park homerun since there is no fence to stop it. i'd personally prefer to take our chances with allowing some bloop singles.

thanks for scoping the place out, nicole.

In left field there is a fence for the tennis courts. There is a sign that reads 305 at the fence, and it runs in a straight line and gets deep very fast. It barely makes it into LC. Very, very few balls reach the fence. Although I once had a teammate hit the ball into the tennis court area. I estimate it was about 320. The ball was crushed.

Also, the outfield is very uneven. Anyone playing outfield needs to watch themselves to prevent getting hurt. Also, the balls take very, very ackward hops. I've seen them bounce 90 degrees away from the way it was hit. Make sure Ofers are backing each other up.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I'm not sure how it'll be. Perhaps Sunday's practice could be moved to the other diamond (the first week's practice diamond) to play a grass infield. I'd think it will slow the ball down a bit and give a bit more bounce to grounders. The dirt infield we were playing was pretty soft and killed the ball pretty often. I thought there would be more bouncing at times and the ball would just die on me.
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

The grass will slow down the ball a bit, but there is a lip between the grass and the dirt, causing the ball to hop up. I've seen rollers bounce ten feet over the fielders head. But overall, the grass is nicer. Unless it hits that lip the bounces are more predictable than on hard dirt infields.

We're at the North field? Hmm, that was always the girl's field in the fall. Not sure how far away it is from that home.

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Verified Member

I was in the neighborhood today, so I took some pics.

This was as close as I could get. Vincent was playing King in a game.

I wanted to get the RF dimensions, I'll have to try another time.

http://my.execpc.com/~silkey/brewerfan/sijan1.JPG

http://my.execpc.com/~silkey/brewerfan/sijan2.JPG

http://my.execpc.com/~silkey/brewerfan/sijan3.JPG

We're at the field at the top of the satellite photo ICN linked to. So, the Tennis courts are in RF. Following the foul line, is the distance to them still a factor?

Took a trip out there this morning with my GPS.

It's 213 feet down the RF foul line. The tennis court jets out 60 feet at a 45 degree angle.

The infield has grass, but not as much as the field at Hales Corners Park. Twenty feet of dirt ahead and behind second base. There's three pitching rubbers.

We've got to be the -nerdiest- team in the league. LOL

I tend to think of it this way: we are the smartest team in the league. We will outthink and outanalyze our opponents to victory.

213 can't be right, is it? Most GPS systems are off by at least 30 feet. (national security or something like that.)

213 can't be right, is it? Most GPS systems are off by at least 30 feet. (national security or something like that.)

It's true about the national security thing, but I think the built-in fudge factor is more like 15 feet.

FWIW, I had first base at 58 feet and third base at 60 feet. Second base was IIRC 90 feet (should be 84).

At 213 we all need to practice going opposite field.

Kidding aside, keep in mind the fence occupies 9 degrees of the 90 degree span of the field. Trying to hit the fence risks hitting a foul.

Archived