Brewer Fanatic

"Buy Low" Free Agents...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not particularly cheap but Joe Kelly would look awfully good as the third lockdown late inning reliever.

You're right about Kelly. But, as you pointed out, not cheap. He made almost $9M each of the last two seasons. That's Hader type money and I don't see the Brewers putting that kind of cash out to a reliever.

I wonder if Yusmeiro Petit might be a good low cost option for the pen. He’s from Venezuela too.

I'd be cool with Yusmeiro. Over the last five seasons he's at 363 IP (1st) with a 72 ERA- which shakes out to 7.6 rWAR & +8.27 WPA, with both those marks ranking 6th among all relievers.

His peripherals, 89 FIP- & 102 xFIP-, and age (37 for the 2022 season) could keep the size of his contract in reasonable range.

Petit is 37 this year but he is a controll type reliever (4.3 Ks/ 1.37 BB per 9) so age shouldn't matter much. He did pitch in a very pitcher friendly park in Oakland. He took a nose dive in 2021; 4.72 FIP (worst since 2016) - 8 hits allowed/9 (worst since 2016) - most HRs/9 since 2016 - fewest Ks/9 in his career. He does get a lot of ground balls so it might work out. Made $2.5M last year so you're right, his asking price should be in the affordable range for the Brewers.

Brad Miller could provide an interesting buy low LHH utility bat. Despite his struggles during his first go around in Milwaukee, he’s been very good every else in recent years when facing RHPs. He shouldn’t cost much and would provide a serviceable backup around the infield, the corner outfield, and a DH option against RHP.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think you see once the deal is done and we get a dh. Stearns will add a reliever and a DH Bat.

The DH is already on the teams 40-man roster. Their names are Hiura, Yelich and Tellez. Don't expect a big signing all signs are pointing to the Brewers not being all that active in FA this off season. If the Brewers do add someone it will be someone who can play all over the field or a reliever and I think they will just be bringing some players back like Strickland, Norris, or Boxberger.

I think you see once the deal is done and we get a dh. Stearns will add a reliever and a DH Bat.

The DH is already on the teams 40-man roster. Their names are Hiura, Yelich and Tellez. Don't expect a big signing all signs are pointing to the Brewers not being all that active in FA this off season. If the Brewers do add someone it will be someone who can play all over the field or a reliever and I think they will just be bringing some players back like Strickland, Norris, or Boxberger.

I think Stearns knows they can't go with the same approach as last year on offense. I hope it's Hiura if there is a DH because that would mean he found his stroke again and everyone's happy. Soler would be my guess if Hiura continues to struggle. The only way I see Yelich as the regular DH is if Stearns pulls off a substancial trade for a power hitting LF, which is doubtful.

I think Stearns knows they can't go with the same approach as last year on offense. I hope it's Hiura if there is a DH because that would mean he found his stroke again and everyone's happy. Soler would be my guess if Hiura continues to struggle. The only way I see Yelich as the regular DH is if Stearns pulls off a substancial trade for a power hitting LF, which is doubtful.

I can see Yelich at the very least being a part time DH. Maybe 3 games a week.

That would allow a Taylor, Cain, Renfroe OF. Of course, we know that Cain will play 80 games or less, so Yelich will probably end up playing more games in the OF then originally planned. Having a guy like Cain on the team really stresses the roster, knowing full well he will be hurt......a lot. Yelich can fall into that category as well, hopefully last year was not his new normal.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think this is likely, but there's always the chance the club goes after a guy like Nelson Cruz - assuming the DH is added to the NL. He's not cheap - but he's not that expensive and won't be more than a one year deal. I'm thinking $10-12M for the season.

Cruz might be slipping a little. He was awesome with Minnesota - not very good with Tampa. But Tampa seems to do that to people. No matter, he still hit 32 HR and .265. If he replicates that, you're doing well.

Cruz can pretty much only DH though, his defensive days are over.

We roster a guy like him, a one dimensional type player, and what does that mean, he gets a couple games off a week while the other guys get to DH?

I just don't see a guy like Cruz working out with our roster construction.

Still holding out hope for Schwarber at DH… Sure it doesnt happen tho.

Two reporters out of Miami said Schwarber told the Marlins he wanted a 3/$60M contract. IMO that's way out of the range Stearns can offer. You're right, it doesn't happen.

What he wants and what he gets will be two different things, but I can't see us paying him half that demand...

Why not Rizzo assuming the DH is a done deal? He's not going to get anything near what Schwarber is asking. He might have to settle for something in the range of 3/42. Rotate him between 1B and DH with Tellez. Not having to play every day in the field might negate some of his back issues, though he did manage to play in 141 games last year. Overall numbers took a dip, but he's still a tough out with the game on the line, and even though it seems like he's been around forever, he's still just 32. I think he'd add to the clubhouse and be a sounding board for Yelich.

I guess some of this is your definition of "buying low." I know Pham was mentioned earlier, and I think the best bet for a cheaper bat would be the bottom falling out of the market for him or one of the Atlanta reclamation projects. A lot of the others seem like $10 million+ even if that they get less than expected.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I guess I always separate "low" and "cheap". If someone had an off year (or injury or age) that will depress his value on the market so we get a deal, that is "buying low". His price could be $1M or $100M. Cheap is simply buying low cost, low WAR players.

Nelson really cratered for the Rays last year and wasn't all that great with the Twins. If you look at his numbers they're really propped up by a few hot weeks. I had him on my fantasy team last year and I remember there were times I considered dropping him he was so bad. He's going to be 42 this year. Most likely he's done as a worthwhile DH. I don't want to the Brewers to sign him to find out.

https://theathletic.com/3114917/2022/02/10/bowden-the-first-move-each-nl-team-should-make-when-the-lockout-ends/

Jim Bowden - First move every team should make

Milwaukee Brewers

Offseason needs: Right-handed power-hitting right fielder, utility infielder, backup catcher

Biggest moves pre-lockout: Acquired RF Hunter Renfroe and INF Mike Brosseau; signed C Pedro Severino

First move they should make post-lockout: Sign LF/DH Eddie Rosario to two-year, $18 million deal

The Brewers need more offense and with the universal DH likely on the way, Rosario would be a solid, affordable fit. Rosario, last year’s NLCS MVP, showed off his hitting skills and power in October during the Braves’ championship run. For Milwaukee, he could play left field on days when Christian Yelich needs to rest his back. Rosario, 30, had his best year in 2019 when he hit 32 homers and drove in 109 runs with the Twins. He owns a career slash line of .275/.309/.473, which is about what the Brewers should expect from him. However, his power and clutch performance are good enough, and he’d fit nicely on their payroll and in their lineup.

https://theathletic.com/3114917/2022/02/10/bowden-the-first-move-each-nl-team-should-make-when-the-lockout-ends/

Jim Bowden - First move every team should make

Milwaukee Brewers

Offseason needs: Right-handed power-hitting right fielder, utility infielder, backup catcher

Biggest moves pre-lockout: Acquired RF Hunter Renfroe and INF Mike Brosseau; signed C Pedro Severino

First move they should make post-lockout: Sign LF/DH Eddie Rosario to two-year, $18 million deal

The Brewers need more offense and with the universal DH likely on the way, Rosario would be a solid, affordable fit. Rosario, last year’s NLCS MVP, showed off his hitting skills and power in October during the Braves’ championship run. For Milwaukee, he could play left field on days when Christian Yelich needs to rest his back. Rosario, 30, had his best year in 2019 when he hit 32 homers and drove in 109 runs with the Twins. He owns a career slash line of .275/.309/.473, which is about what the Brewers should expect from him. However, his power and clutch performance are good enough, and he’d fit nicely on their payroll and in their lineup.

That .... actually makes a lot of sense. Rumors were flying last year that the Brewers actually talked to Rosario about making the switch to 1B, so they are obviously intrigued by adding his bat to the lineup. Now with the universal DH, they could throw Rosario into the OF mix and have him switch off at DH with Yelich and Renfroe and whoever they find to share time with Tellez at 1B.