Brewer Fanatic

Random Trade Ideas

26 minutes ago, turborickey said:

uh oh.

I'm waiting for the spin masters to show up for this one...  Time for some fancy stats to show you why you are completely wrong in thinking the way you do.

No spin needed. Such is life of the fan of a small market team. Talent costs ever increasing amounts of money to buy. The Brewers payroll is never going to eclipse 130 million or so. On a team with a bunch of star players in arbitration, they don't have the option to simply go out and hire great players to fill the other holes in their roster. 

Likewise, they don't have any difference making offensive talent close to ready in the minor leagues. Thus the GM has to do the best with what he's got, throw on a few budget band-aids like Renfroe and McCutchen and hope they get lucky. 

No different than the Fielder and Braun era Brewers were they didn't have enough pitching and signed a bevy of band-aids and hoped to get lucky: Suppan, Looper, Wolf, Lohse, Garza, etc. 

3 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

No spin needed. Such is life of the fan of a small market team. Talent costs ever increasing amounts of money to buy. The Brewers payroll is never going to eclipse 130 million or so. On a team with a bunch of star players in arbitration, they don't have the option to simply go out and hire great players to fill the other holes in their roster. 

Likewise, they don't have any difference making offensive talent close to ready in the minor leagues. Thus the GM has to do the best with what he's got, throw on a few budget band-aids like Renfroe and McCutchen and hope they get lucky. 

No different than the Fielder and Braun era Brewers were they didn't have enough pitching and signed a bevy of band-aids and hoped to get lucky: Suppan, Looper, Wolf, Lohse, Garza, etc. 

Which of course, never worked out...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

9 hours ago, brewtank34 said:

Can someone please tell me why we have the exact same offense as we did last year?  Garcia and Renfroe are a wash.  We added a DH.  Great.  Other than that, we have the exact same offense that disappointed us last year.   Are we giving David Stearns a pass?   I would hope not.  We have a World Series pitching rotation and a division winning offense at best.  We do not have the offensive weaponry to compete in the playoffs as was evidenced last year.  Seriously, nothing?  Tellez and Urias?  The #1 need going into the offsesaon was what?  Corner Infield!   They did absolutley nothing and it's beyond me why no one is (especially those in the media) that are not asking Stearns this question...."why didn't you address your #1 offseason goal?"    It really is a simple question.  Unreal!!   I'm not happy.

I understand the frustration but what was Stearns to do? Outside of trading away farm pieces, there isn't a lot more he can do, as the Brewers currently sit at the 19th highest payroll according to Sportrac, just behind the Tigers and Twins, both considerably larger markets.

Maybe it's time to push all the chips into the middle of the table and trade the farm but outside of that move, Stearns doesn't have a ton of wiggle room to make big moves to shore up any part of the team. He's working in the margins, mostly, because it's all he can do.

As well as we have done drafting and developing pitching the fact is we don't have one home grown everyday player in the lineup unless you count Cain who was drafted by the Brewers and reacquired as a free agent. This failure is a big reason why our lineup sucks.

19 hours ago, turborickey said:

uh oh.

I'm waiting for the spin masters to show up for this one...  Time for some fancy stats to show you why you are completely wrong in thinking the way you do.

Yeah but Yelich has an unbelievable exit velocity on his ground balls.

18 hours ago, jw5511986 said:

Alec Bohm seems unhappy in Philly, any interest there? I'd take a pop if the price was right.

Who would you say Bohm would be good enough to replace, Urias at 3B or Tellez at 1B? He's a RH hitter so I guess he could take Brosseau's or Hiura's place. He is pre-arby so it wouldn't be costly, but the price in prospects would have to be next to nothing if he's only going to be a bench guy.  

Depending on how the Phillies value Bohm they could package him with Didi and get rid of that salary also.  So something like Didi and Bohm for Hiura, Zamora and Brosseau.  Value wise it would be close but then again that is on how much you value Bohm.

I am not sure Bohm is a 3B and he maybe better as a 1B defensively maybe even in LF.  If Bohm has to be a 1B I think his value drops a bit because of that and maybe you can just do Didi and Bohm for Hiura and Brosseau.  This would give the Phillies some salary relief while getting a question mark in Hiura and then a utility player in Brosseau.  

Bohm would be a good platoon partner for Tellez at 1B and playing occasionally at 3B when Urias needs a day off.  I am not sure I would do this deal.

It's not bullying, but it is pre-emptive. I can predict the posts. 12th best offense! Sixth in the league after a certain point until they weren't! Last year, the "average" or "12th-best" or whatever you want to call it, offense, failed in the playoffs. 6 runs in four games with two shutouts. And it has been a theme. Before that, in their last 14 playoff games, the Brewers scored 35 runs. Three shutouts, 2 games with one run, and three games with two runs. So the average is 2.5, and the median is 2. That hasn't been enough to get it done in the playoffs, when you face very few poor pitchers or poor lineups. A regular season average of 4.63 runs seems to mean little in the postseason. I am not a negative poster. Check my history. It's because the Brewers are so close that it feels as if one reliable bat in the order could make a difference between advancing in the playoffs or going home. This pitching staff is outstanding. But it would be nice to give them some cushion.

9 minutes ago, nate82 said:

Depending on how the Phillies value Bohm they could package him with Didi and get rid of that salary also.  So something like Didi and Bohm for Hiura, Zamora and Brosseau.  Value wise it would be close but then again that is on how much you value Bohm.

I am not sure Bohm is a 3B and he maybe better as a 1B defensively maybe even in LF.  If Bohm has to be a 1B I think his value drops a bit because of that and maybe you can just do Didi and Bohm for Hiura and Brosseau.  This would give the Phillies some salary relief while getting a question mark in Hiura and then a utility player in Brosseau.  

Bohm would be a good platoon partner for Tellez at 1B and playing occasionally at 3B when Urias needs a day off.  I am not sure I would do this deal.

I don't think Stearns would want anything to do with Gregorius and his $15+M contract. 

2 hours ago, wntrtxn21 said:

I don't think Stearns would want anything to do with Gregorius and his $15+M contract. 

I don't think he would mind if he thought Bohm was someone they could fix and would be an impact bat.  Plus they would only need to carry Gregorius for this season as he will be a FA after this season.  So it is not like it is a long term contract that they would be committing to.  

Mitchell for Bohm seems like a nice even swap. They don't have much in the way of young OF in their top 10 and they are struggling to find a CF to pair with Harper/Castellanos/Schwarber.

Bohm works in easily at 1B w/ Tellez, can spell Urias at 3B, and play LF in a pinch.

• 3 weeks later...
Verified Member

It's early, but my biggest area of concern on an otherwise great team is CF. Hate to say it, but I think Cain is cooked. He can still play solid defense, but I'm not expecting an offensive rebound, and at the very least Taylor is too unreliable to be a regular replacement.

I would love to send a mid-range prospect to the Reds for Tyler Naquin. He's a free agent after this year, so should be cheap. The Reds are in the ditch, so should be willing to sell early (even within the division). Naquin is not a great defender but he can credibly play CF, and he has some nice pop as a platoon bat against RHP. We have a fantastic lineup against LHP and could use some more offense against RHP in particular. He doesn't need to be the everyday starter, but can provide an offensive weapon to complement a defense-first CF like 2022 Cain or Taylor.

We could send Taylor down to regain his confidence and, if Cain does not rebound at all further into the season, could go with a Naquin/Taylor platoon in CF.

On 5/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, SRB said:

It's early, but my biggest area of concern on an otherwise great team is CF. Hate to say it, but I think Cain is cooked. He can still play solid defense, but I'm not expecting an offensive rebound, and at the very least Taylor is too unreliable to be a regular replacement.

I would love to send a mid-range prospect to the Reds for Tyler Naquin. He's a free agent after this year, so should be cheap. The Reds are in the ditch, so should be willing to sell early (even within the division). Naquin is not a great defender but he can credibly play CF, and he has some nice pop as a platoon bat against RHP. We have a fantastic lineup against LHP and could use some more offense against RHP in particular. He doesn't need to be the everyday starter, but can provide an offensive weapon to complement a defense-first CF like 2022 Cain or Taylor.

We could send Taylor down to regain his confidence and, if Cain does not rebound at all further into the season, could go with a Naquin/Taylor platoon in CF.

Taylors career ops against righties is .765 in 252 at bats.  So may deviate a bunch still.  But, I don't see Naquin producing much more for his $4M pricetag, even if we get him for free.  So for the price and add in Taylor's defense, then advantage Taylor?... 

I'd rather save that $4M for the trading deadline to see what we need and what is available, versus spending it now and not having it available later.

• 2 months later...

How about a change of scenery trade of former high prospects. Keston Hiura for Jared Kelenic? Hiura can play a little 1B and DH where the Mariners currently have Carlos Santana and Justin Upton. Kelenic fills in the 4th OF role And hopefully becomes something more. (This isn’t a Kelenic is from Wisconsin move either). 

I would look into this or maybe Jo Adell with the Angels. 

2 hours ago, Warning Track Power said:

How about a change of scenery trade of former high prospects. Keston Hiura for Jared Kelenic? Hiura can play a little 1B and DH where the Mariners currently have Carlos Santana and Justin Upton. Kelenic fills in the 4th OF role And hopefully becomes something more. (This isn’t a Kelenic is from Wisconsin move either). 

Great proposal! Now lets keep playing Keston since he's actually improving his stock at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 1:18 PM, Warning Track Power said:

This was something I've been thinking about a lot lately, what with the deadline looming... I think an underrated value that the Brewers can offer other teams are MLB players. I don't think this is a small consideration for a rebuilding franchise. And depending on the return, these players are "replaceable".

Any of these players could be pretty valuable for the A's, for instance (years of control in parentheses). Those teams need somebody to play on the MLB team while the rebuild is happening.

Pitchers

Houser (2.5) -- Lauer (2.5) -- Gott (1.5) -- Milner (3.5)

Catchers

Caratini (1.5) -- Narvaez (0.5) -- Severino (1.5)

Hitters

Urias (3.5) -- Rowdy (3.5) -- TTaylor (4.5) -- Brosseau (3.5) -- Keston (3.5)

So, if you are the A's, wouldn't getting Tyrone Taylor as part of a package for Laureano be pretty enticing? If you were the Nationals, wouldn't getting Rowdy as part of a package for Bell be something to consider? All of the above players are more or less PROVEN MLB players.

On 4/8/2022 at 1:18 PM, Jopal78 said:

No spin needed. Such is life of the fan of a small market team. Talent costs ever increasing amounts of money to buy. The Brewers payroll is never going to eclipse 130 million or so.

Never is a very long time. It will certainly increase over time.