Brewer Fanatic

When Does The Lockout End? Answer: March 10th, 2022

jjgott

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Prediction:MLB will submit their counterproposal this afternoon, players will find something minor in it that the owners apparently tried to "sneak through", they will reject it (or do yet another counter-proposal), and we will be in the same place tomorrow.

Sure as heck hope I'm wrong.

Prediction:MLB will submit their counterproposal this afternoon, players will find something minor in it that the owners apparently tried to "sneak through", they will reject it (or do yet another counter-proposal), and we will be in the same place tomorrow.

The league has given the union a 3pm "deadline" so yeah you're probably right.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

MLB just issued a proposal. Barely moved on CBT and min salaries, biggest move was from 40 to 50 on bonus pool. For me, it seems like that bonus pool is the best chance the players have of getting movement.

MLB CBT: 230M in ‘22 to 242M 244M in ‘26

Union CBT: 232M in ‘22 to 250 in ‘26

MLB Bonus Pool: 40M 50M all 5 years

Union: 65M in ‘22 to 85M in ‘26

MLB minimum: 700M to 770M 780M

Union: 710M to 780M

I piggy backed above off a tweet from Jon Heyman and showed the changes that were recently announced. Baseball is probably going to take in 60-70 billion over the next 5 years, I would guess they are arguing over how to split up the last 150 million or so at most...probably less. And that's combined over the 5 years.

MLB just issued a proposal. Barely moved on CBT and min salaries, biggest move was from 40 to 50 on bonus pool. For me, it seems like that bonus pool is the best chance the players have of getting movement.

MLB CBT: 230M in ‘22 to 242M 244M in ‘26

Union CBT: 232M in ‘22 to 250 in ‘26

MLB Bonus Pool: 40M 50M all 5 years

Union: 65M in ‘22 to 85M in ‘26

MLB minimum: 700M to 770M 780M

Union: 710M to 780M

I piggy backed above off a tweet from Jon Heyman and showed the changes that were recently announced. Baseball is probably going to take in 60-70 billion over the next 5 years, I would guess they are arguing over how to split up the last 150 million or so at most...probably less. And that's combined over the 5 years.

Arguing over figurative pocket change now. If this doesn't get done this afternoon, I really don't know what to say anymore.

players are voting on current proposal
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Baseball is probably going to take in 60-70 billion over the next 5 years, I would guess they are arguing over how to split up the last 150 million or so at most...probably less. And that's combined over the 5 years.

Arguing over figurative pocket change now. If this doesn't get done this afternoon, I really don't know what to say anymore.

150M is 0.23% of 65B. If only my calculator had a 0.23%/2 function.....

MLB apparently asked MLBPA to drop both the 2018 grievance regarding 4 tankers and the 2020 lawsuit regarding COVID. I wonder if those were always part of the agreement or is MLB is trying to pull a fast one once they get to the 1 yard line. I reeeeeeeeally hope it isn't the latter, but based on how things have gone I suspect it is part of the latter.

MLB apparently asked MLBPA to drop both the 2018 grievance regarding 4 tankers and the 2020 lawsuit regarding COVID. I wonder if those were always part of the agreement or is MLB is trying to pull a fast one once they get to the 1 yard line. I reeeeeeeeally hope it isn't the latter, but based on how things have gone I suspect it is part of the latter.

Dropping the 2018 grievance has been part of past CBA discussions in the last couple months. That idea isn't new whatsoever. Unsure on the 2020 lawsuit though.

Someone on twitter pointed out that 5 of the 8 executive board are Boras clients. Wonder if that plays a role or not...

Starting to look like today won't be the day. Today was the first day I was optimistic and thought the deal might actually happen.

I have sensed the tide starting to turn against the players this week. If it doesn't pass today, watch out.

"just one more thing..."

like I said, the international draft wasn't going to be the final sticking point.