Brewer Fanatic

When Does The Lockout End? Answer: March 10th, 2022

jjgott

I suppose this is the owners fault too

While I am definitely i favor of the international draft, the union counterproposal Drellich cited (if no agreement on international draft by November, the qualifying offers come back after one year without them) seems pretty reasonable as well. Even if some of the union negotiators were in favor of this, it is pretty clear from the reaction today that they are going to need time to assuage the concerns of Latin American players.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose this is the owners fault too

While I am definitely i favor of the international draft, the union counterproposal Drellich cited (if no agreement on international draft by November, the qualifying offers come back after one year without them) seems pretty reasonable as well. Even if some of the union negotiators were in favor of this, it is pretty clear from the reaction today that they are going to need time to assuage the concerns of Latin American players.

I totally agree it was a reasonable counter offer, but the original 3 offers were all reasonable too. And sometimes you can just counter offer yourself to death. Sometimes the deal you've been offered is actually quite good.

And if it's true that for some time, the intl draft was tied to the draft compensation removal, and then all off the sudden, the players said hold on, we are getting blowback from our Latin members. At that point, the clubs have every right to say, hey, we agreed, so here are your 3 choices on how to handle this, and you are the ones who backed out, so we aren't taking a counterproposal

Couple Heyman tweets

Players made an offer late today: They’d spend the season working on a world draft and if it didn’t work out, qualifying offers/free agent comp would be re-installed at year’s end. This was Manfred’s idea Tuesday night but was rejected because it came after MLB’s 6 pm deadline.

With most recent..

Sources: Indeed, the sides will talk tonight about the international draft proposal iniated by Manfred Tuesday night and put forth by the union just after the 6 pm deadline. Hope exists!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
6pm deadline? they couldn't work until 7?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I wish the MLBPA gave a crap as much about their non-union minor league players riding busses for meager wages for 10 years as they do about non-union international prospects.

Non-union international prospects ride buses for meager wages too.

An international draft removes their freedom to choose whichever organization offers the most money & replaces it with a forced slotting system, which is why the MLBPA is against it.

I wish the MLBPA gave a crap as much about their non-union minor league players riding busses for meager wages for 10 years as they do about non-union international prospects.

An international draft removes their freedom to choose whichever organization offers the most money & replaces it with a forced slotting system, which is why the MLBPA is against it.

My point was that for years, the MLBPA has never made improving the quality of life for minor league players much of a priority to them, and now with part of the season at stake this is the hill they want to die on.

I never suggested they shouldn't be against it, although a lack of an international draft is clearly harmful to small market organizations like the Brewers.

My point was that for years, the MLBPA has never made improving the quality of life for minor league players much of a priority to them, and now with part of the season at stake this is the hill they want to die on.

I never suggested they shouldn't be against it, although a lack of an international draft is clearly harmful to small market organizations like the Brewers.

Minor leaguers aren't in the union. That goes back to the anti-trust laws surrounding baseball. The union can negotiate some things tangentially related to minor leaguers (e.g. the draft) but I don't believe they have authority to negotiate for things like pay, living conditions, minor league free agency etc. The minor leaguers would have to create their own union to do that.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yup, minor leaguers not on a 40-man roster are not in the MLBPA, and their working conditions are not part of this negotiation; it's disingenuous to blame players for not working on their behalf when it's literally against the rules. This plays out in other ways as well. You'll notice, for example, that no major league player is featured in a story on MLB.com, but there are plenty on prospects who are not yet on rosters. Pushing to expand membership of minor leaguers could well be a goal in a better world, but you have to assume that would be vigorously opposed by the owners.

(Incidentally, it seems to me that the owners have used MLB.com as a propaganda arm after years of trying to build it up as at least somewhat impartial journalism. They aren't even pretending to cover the lockout impartially.)

So is the MLBPA fighting to get rid of the amateur draft too?

So is the MLBPA fighting to get rid of the amateur draft too?

I would think that if they thought there was any chance of succeeding with that they would be fighting for it, yes. Drafts do not benefit the players.

Per Evan Drellich:

"MLB, MLBPA are still discussing qualifying offer and international draft, but gaps remain on other issues, too, and the sides intend to talk all day today.

Like yesterday, a lot of that might be by phone, but communication is constant. Players made last global counter offer yesterday."

Honestly, the pursuit of both sides to have the proverbial last laugh is getting sickening. Not every player or owner is going to get everything they want. Some of the issues are gray areas, and both sides need to compromise at some level on some stuff that particular players and owners may be extremely passionate about.

Why not do away with player drafts and contracts altogether and give all players the freedom to play wherever they want at whatever price they feel is fair for all those evil owners to pay them?

Plus, an international draft with forced slotting eliminates huge market clubs from just throwing $100K checks around like candy to boys just starting to hit puberty with hopes that one out of every 50 or so signing bonuses nets them an all-star caliber player, when small-mid market clubs need to be much more focused on how to dole out more limited funds towards international player signings...that amount is indeed life-changing money in many of the countries these kids originate from, but that doesn't mean it's the right way to go about an international player development system - particularly when it's led to all sorts of corruption that winds up exploiting these kids in a much worse way than them having to ride buses between games as 16 year old kids.

They've reached an agreement on Int. draft

So I guess we'll see if that was the big hurdle to an agreement. Cynical me says they'll come up with some other reason to keep this from ending.

If and when this gets done I'm going to need a forum thread analyzing and explaining what happened and how it effects the Brewers and their competitiveness. I'm not hopeful with what I understand to be concessions on luxury tax and service time.

If and when this gets done I'm going to need a forum thread analyzing and explaining what happened and how it effects the Brewers and their competitiveness. I'm not hopeful with what I understand to be concessions on luxury tax and service time.

It will no doubt be worse for the Brewers and other small markets who aren't close to the CBT thresholds. But not as bad as it could have been had all the MLBPA wishlist been adopted. And an international draft would theoretically help the Brewers in the long run.

I'm most looking forward to the free agent feeding frenzy once this thing is over. Hot stove? More like burning hot lava stove.

I'm most looking forward to the free agent feeding frenzy once this thing is over. Hot stove? More like burning hot lava stove.

Don't forget trades, don't forget arbitration needs to happen. And definitely don't forget...there will without question be tampering allegations when there's a pile of signings within 48 hours.