Brewer Fanatic

UW women's volleyball back in the final 4.

yourout

After decades of following this relatively niche sport (the hawing household has had season tickets to Wisconsin volleyball since 2000, which definitely included some lean years in the program), it's super cool to see a thread about it on Brewerfan! :)

We've all missed things during the pandemic, and I imagine most of us have a 'thing' that bothered us more than any other.

My 'thing' was missing Badger volleyball. I know, you'd think it would be the Brewers - and I'm not saying I didn't miss the Brewers in 2020 - but with the pandemic really kicking in around the time the Brewers would have started, I relatively quickly accepted that we were probably not going to be able to attend games (if there were any) that year.

Meanwhile, I cannot get to work and back without going right by the Field House. During the spring and summer of 2020, the Field House got a big spruce-up, most noticeably including a replacement of the big windows. (Check this link for a before/after photo: https://www.grahamwindows.com/uw-field-house-12-10-20/)

In the fall of 2020/winter of 2021, I'd ride or walk home at night, see the new windows and the light inside, and that's when I *really* missed volleyball.

Before the 2020-2021 academic year, the 2020 fall season was postponed, and at that point I was just hoping the Rettke/Hilley et al group wouldn't have their college careers cut short. Instead, they got the bonus time and made the absolute most of it.

It was totally worth the wait. This is college volleyball's World Series.

(I was going to add that John Cook challenging that match point in set 5 was a total TLR move - Jimbo was not exaggerating when he compared Nebraska volleyball to the Cardinals - but I'm going to have to admit that Kelly Sheffield probably would have done the same, had the situation been reversed.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After decades of following this relatively niche sport (the hawing household has had season tickets to Wisconsin volleyball since 2000, which definitely included some lean years in the program), it's super cool to see a thread about it on Brewerfan! :)

We've all missed things during the pandemic, and I imagine most of us have a 'thing' that bothered us more than any other.

My 'thing' was missing Badger volleyball. I know, you'd think it would be the Brewers - and I'm not saying I didn't miss the Brewers in 2020 - but with the pandemic really kicking in around the time the Brewers would have started, I relatively quickly accepted that we were probably not going to be able to attend games (if there were any) that year.

Meanwhile, I cannot get to work and back without going right by the Field House. During the spring and summer of 2020, the Field House got a big spruce-up, most noticeably including a replacement of the big windows. (Check this link for a before/after photo: https://www.grahamwindows.com/uw-field-house-12-10-20/)

In the fall of 2020/winter of 2021, I'd ride or walk home at night, see the new windows and the light inside, and that's when I *really* missed volleyball.

Before the 2020-2021 academic year, the 2020 fall season was postponed, and at that point I was just hoping the Rettke/Hilley et al group wouldn't have their college careers cut short. Instead, they got the bonus time and made the absolute most of it.

It was totally worth the wait. This is college volleyball's World Series.

(I was going to add that John Cook challenging that match point in set 5 was a total TLR move - Jimbo was not exaggerating when he compared Nebraska volleyball to the Cardinals - but I'm going to have to admit that Kelly Sheffield probably would have done the same, had the situation been reversed.)

Every coach challenges that last point.

Challenges - in the regular season I think the experiment was one could challenge until the third upheld(?) but went back to old rules in the tournament.

I'd say each individual was at least solid. Surprised Orzol hit negative, but twelve digs, six blocks and zero shanks made up for it.

Jade Demps with the unsung hero award. Served the six-point run to open the fifth and had the ace to make it 14-9. Served consistent against Louisville. Back row attacks kept team in contention until Rettke finally got going.

I was afraid the lack of a stud outside hitter would eventually do them in, but Nebraska comes along and they didn't have one, either. Oh wait, they did have an A-A hitter but wasn't put into the match. Coach Cook opting to go with the two freshman.

This match similar to three weeks ago. NE comes out like gangbusters, but you knew it wasn't going to be sustainable. Just ride it out until Nebraska comes back to Earth.

I don't know if the Huskers took the foot of the gas, but whatever Badger serve receive improved remarkably mid-second set. After that, they had control.

Been watching Badger volleyball for 33 season and don't think I've witnessed a 24-block match.

I wonder if that 7-0 run will gone down in Badger lore along with Darrel Bevel's TD run or Steve Alley's OT goal.

A 3:15 volleyball match is much different than a 3:15 baseball game.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That was one awesome game. That overtime set was pretty epic. I watch a lot of high school volleyball, and do some line judging so not withstanding that last challenge the officiating was very impressive to me overall.

I agree. Lots of extremely close calls that were managed well over a course of a what, 3 hour match. Tons of blocks, in the Nets, tips, maybe tips to contend with. That overturned last point… I could see a finger go back. Is that definitive enough? Not sure .

The officiating was impressive throughout the Match - definitely agreed...and there is still issue here: You can't overturn that Last point. Not only was it entirely unclear, the Match was declared Over because of the on the court ruling. IF there is a clear multiple view of a finger moving backward as a result of that ball go for it. BUT, there was only one angle and it was entirely unclear as to whether the ball had anything to do with that finger movement. The ball, itself, never adjusted flight and didn't change spin. I, personally, found that utterly uncalled for and would have tainted everything had the result been different. I would have literally went outside my House and cried 'Foul'. I believe, in totality, that would make a difference. LOL.

Challenges - in the regular season I think the experiment was one could challenge until the third upheld(?) but went back to old rules in the tournament.

I'd say each individual was at least solid. Surprised Orzol hit negative, but twelve digs, six blocks and zero shanks made up for it.

Jade Demps with the unsung hero award. Served the six-point run to open the fifth and had the ace to make it 14-9. Served consistent against Louisville. Back row attacks kept team in contention until Rettke finally got going.

I was afraid the lack of a stud outside hitter would eventually do them in, but Nebraska comes along and they didn't have one, either. Oh wait, they did have an A-A hitter but wasn't put into the match. Coach Cook opting to go with the two freshman.

This match similar to three weeks ago. NE comes out like gangbusters, but you knew it wasn't going to be sustainable. Just ride it out until Nebraska comes back to Earth.

I don't know if the Huskers took the foot of the gas, but whatever Badger serve receive improved remarkably mid-second set. After that, they had control.

Been watching Badger volleyball for 33 season and don't think I've witnessed a 24-block match.

I wonder if that 7-0 run will gone down in Badger lore along with Darrel Bevel's TD run or Steve Alley's OT goal.

A 3:15 volleyball match is much different than a 3:15 baseball game.

Just here to say: Congratulations to you, Sir! 33 seasons? I am absolutely STOKED for you to get a 'Chip. Has to feel oh so good!

I'm really kicking myself for not being able to watch the final 4. I saw a couple of their matches earlier in the season and they looked great! Both my wife and I played VB in college (only had club available for men at the time) and it is easily my favorite sport to play.

Congrats ladies! Way to represent Big Red!