Brewer Fanatic

UW women's volleyball back in the final 4.

yourout

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Season Ticket holder here.

This is a special group of athletes. May not see another group like this for a while. I typically go to only two or three matches a season, but this fall went to six home, two road and four NCAA matches.

However, I'll be surprised if they take the title. I feel this squad is a notch lower than last spring's team. Louisville blocks 3.03 per set which is similar to Maryland and Purdue, the only two teams to beat Wisconsin. Looks as if Louisville also has a strong serve game, the Badger's other weakness. I didn't get to see Louisville's matches last weekend. Then again, Texas got knocked out at home, so the path is a little easier.

It's not football, but if you haven't seen this team play, give it a try!

Nebraska plays in the second semi. I consider Nebraska the "St. Louis Cardinals" of college volleyball.

watched the first 3 sets at the bowling alley. kinda hurried home to catch the end. hope they can finish it out!

I watch off and on and after the service error late in the 4th and losing the set I turned it off.

I am the biggest jinx on the planet and they were not going to lose because I watched.

Not sure what I am going to do when the championship is on.

Um...WOW!

That was college volleyball played at the highest level. I never expected the result.

#14 Smrek had an individual performance for the ages. And no one saw it coming. Remember, the only reason she has any playing time is due to being a mid-season replacement for an injured player. There had been a bit of a drop off in the number of kills from the position, but not tonight! "Next woman up".

#21 Loberg exceeded my expectations. She had a solid game, especially considering how she disappeared the last two FF's. #22 Orzol played very well. Has a tendency at times to air mail her spikes, but stayed within herself tonight. Only aced twice in five sets, I'll take that. She's the weak link on serve receive and is picked on continuously.

The only negative take aways is #10 Robinson was too quiet. Ashburn and Barnes are the two best servers and they didn't really produce any long scoring runs.

Win or lose, the Badgers played as well as they could have. Glad it resulted in a victory.

Um...WOW!

That was college volleyball played at the highest level. I never expected the result.

#14 Smrek had an individual performance for the ages. And no one saw it coming. Remember, the only reason she has any playing time is due to being a mid-season replacement for an injured player. There had been a bit of a drop off in the number of kills from the position, but not tonight! "Next woman up".

#21 Loberg exceeded my expectations. She had a solid game, especially considering how she disappeared the last two FF's. #22 Orzol played very well. Has a tendency at times to air mail her spikes, but stayed within herself tonight. Only aced twice in five sets, I'll take that. She's the weak link on serve receive and is picked on continuously.

The only negative take aways is #10 Robinson was too quiet. Ashburn and Barnes are the two best servers and they didn't really produce any long scoring runs.

Win or lose, the Badgers played as well as they could have. Glad it resulted in a victory.

The high # of service errors made me think they could have played even better. I’ll give them an A-.

I will edit my comment regarding the serving, I overlooked Barnes's three-point run in the fifth to put the match away.

Keep in mind regarding serving strategy, sometimes Sheffield will instruct the team to serve aggressively, hence the service errors. This is one way for an underdog to beat a favorite. This is how #12 Wisconsin upset #1 Texas eight years ago.

Roster makeup, Madison has always had a pipeline to suburban Chicago. But so, they had more than one in-state player. Now that the Badgers are arguably a blue-blood, expect more imports.

Normally, I wouldn't fret over the outcome of the title match, but it's Nebraska. They always come up with a way to sprinkle their magic dust. I think it will come down to serve receive. Nebraska aced Wisconsin ten times in the match three weeks ago. #22 Orzol had a bad match. Six receive errors and six hitting errors. She needs to clean up. Nebraska will serve to her. I caught the end of the match with Pitt and every pass from the back row to the Husker setter was right there. The Badger serve needs to keep them on their back heels.

On paper, Wisconsin has a bit more talent. They've beaten them twice already. However, a loss tonight to the "STL Cardinals" would be devastating and leave a black mark on an otherwise terrific season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This is about as 'Must Win' for a Women's volleyball program as it gets. There is the backstory of their HC taking the position and beating his former Badger Team in his first year as HC in Lincoln. This is as big a Finals showdown the program has ever had. A win here heals a lot of 'wounds' for the Program. Really really hoping they pull it out.