Brewer Fanatic

Moose?

mtrebs

Here’s an article of the Reds should try to free themselves of Moose.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/should-the-reds-let-the-moose-loose.html

If the Reds were to eat a bunch of the salary, would it be worth the Brewers to pick him up? It would provide some veteran leadership and some pop from a corner infield position. Plus, he was a fan favorite when he was here. It would also allow Urias to flow between the infield as well to keep his bat in the lineup. The thing is though that the Reds would likely have to eat A LOT of the salary, unless we did a JBJ-style trade and got someone else/prospects from them.

The article correctly points out that Kyle Seager is just sitting out there in FA. I would focus on Seager. I've had a suspicion Brewers would explore the Kolton Wong trade market, move Urias to 2B and sign a power hitting LH bat to play 3B. If he's healthy, Moose could fill that role too

I would take him at full salary if they’re willing to kick in a prospect

A -1 war player owed $34 mil guaranteed the next 2 years, plus a $4 mil buyout…that is just absurd to even consider it. Urias is younger, healthier, cheaper, better, etc. just roll with him unless there is an actual upgrade.

Moustakas wasn't ever healthy last year missing a dozen games in April, half of May, all of June and July then the last ten games of the season.

If he's healthy and plays to his career numbers he's still a very good player. The contract is a little heavy with an AAV of 18 million/year but not outlandish. However, it is the contract that likely is the sticking point in any potential trade.

I doubt the Reds pay Moustakas to play against them in 2022 (and highly doubt they would pay Moustakas to play against them with Milwaukee in 2022). Any team acquiring him would also have to be wary of a player in his 30s who missed almost an entire year with a series of nagging injuries.

If the Reds are going to shed payroll, it would likely be Suarez over Moustakas. The total guaranteed money is nearly a wash between Suarez and Moustakas, but Suarez has three years left on his contract so the AAV is substantially less (12 million). Suarez was bad in 2021 but was healthy and still managed to club 31 homers at 3B.

The article correctly points out that Kyle Seager is just sitting out there in FA. I would focus on Seager. I've had a suspicion Brewers would explore the Kolton Wong trade market, move Urias to 2B and sign a power hitting LH bat to play 3B. If he's healthy, Moose could fill that role too

I've seen that speculation on Wong and I'm not sure I see it. First, I think they really value the D in our heavy run prevention system now. But second, he's basically on a fair contract (rather than overpaid like most FA moves would take) and I think they should value the contact low strikeout over a streaky high K power HR or bust type hitters.

That said, I do think a Seager/Moose type could still work due to DH and overall they can be flexible to play 1B/3B. Especially since Tellez is still very much a question mark. Just don't think Wong would be one pushed out since as a hitter he's covering that area we've all been complaining for years on how they need more contact instead of HR/bust types. And keep in mind they just added another HR/bust type in Renfroe.

Wouldn't make much sense to me, since Moustakas is not that good anymore, and for roughly the same cost per season we could make a serious run at signing Rizzo to play 1B.

I'm not that excited about Rizzo. Unless he can find some of the old pop, he isn't projected to be much better than Tellez (avg.-HRs-RBIs) and Tellez is so much cheaper. I agree about Moustakas. He just isn't worth anywhere near what his contract is.

Most predicted that contract to be terrible for the Reds, and that has come true. At this point in his career, Moose is a replacement level player with name recognition. Nice guy, great locker room guy, but not only is Luis Urias better both offensively and defensively, he is much, much cheaper. It is arguable that Tellez is better as well. Moose had a nice, fun little run here. But that ship has long sailed.

Yeah, I was a Moose fan, was sad to see him go, but as we all thought at the time, that contract was crap.

As much as I liked the guy, I have no interest in bringing him back.

Not much interest in Rizzo either for what it would cost to get him. He might be the kind of guy you can sign on a one year deal when no one else signs him late in the off season, like Moose and Grandal. Even then, it would have to be a really good deal.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS