Brewer Fanatic

2022 Brewers Prospect Rankings

sveumrules

Am I completely off in thinking that #25 seems quite low for our current system? Did Ashby graduate from their list?

Ashby has not graduated and is widely-regarded as the #1 prospect in the system at this point. You are not off in thinking the rankings are low. I do a full review of all minor league systems every offseason to stay up-to-date on players across the league and I have the Brewers in the 19-22 range. In all honesty, though, there isn’t a huge discrepancy between systems once you start getting into the late teens and twenties.

While KLaw has MKE at #26, it is an improvement from last year when KLaw had the system at #28....

--------------------------------------------------------

Something for everyone to consider: While the MKE system might be improving, it might not be improving at a rate as fast as other clubs.

Ashby has not graduated and is widely-regarded as the #1 prospect in the system at this point. You are not off in thinking the rankings are low. I do a full review of all minor league systems every offseason to stay up-to-date on players across the league and I have the Brewers in the 19-22 range. In all honesty, though, there isn’t a huge discrepancy between systems once you start getting into the late teens and twenties.

Brewers top 20 prospects per Law/Athletic

https://theathletic.com/3113134/2022/02/08/brewers-top-20-prospects-for-2022-keith-law-ranks-milwaukees-farm-system/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Keith Law has Ashby as #7 Brewers prospect

Ashby was awful in his major-league debut, and in his last game of the season; between those two appearances, he threw 24 1/3 innings in the big leagues, striking out 33, walking six, with a 2.22 ERA, mostly working in relief. He’s a four-pitch guy, sitting mid-90s without much life or movement, with a plus slider that kills right-handed batters. It’s largely a matter of command and control for Ashby — he doesn’t repeat his delivery that well, and while he didn’t walk many guys in the majors, he has had consistently higher walk rates in the minors. If he can get to 50 control and 45 command, he might be able to start. He should be very effective in a swing or relief role if he can’t.

Small #11

Baseball Prospectus has released their farm system rankings, and have Brewers at #19. They also have 10 tiers within that top 30, and Brewers are highest ranked in Tier #8. Tier 7 for reference has the Reds, Dodgers, Cardinals and Braves. Worth noting that the BP guys have been really down on the Brewers system the last few years, so this is quite a shift.

But a measure of how volatile these things can be, BP have the Dodgers at #17, while Keith Law has them at #1.

As far as the Brewers go though, when you take all the various rankings together it seems like the consesus is pretty clear that the system has moved out of the "bad" or even "worst" category it would've been in for the last few years, and into the "below average" category. Many mentions of how much of the strength of the system is in A and Rookie ball, so if there aren't a lot of setbacks there I imagine the system would rise as those players move up.

I also don't share the strong dislike many have for Keith Law, but I will say I trust the evaluations of most other prospect outlets more than his. I like that he's willing to stick his neck out, but sometimes it seems like he takes it a bit too far and sticks his neck out for the sake of sticking his neck out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I’m not sure if this has been posted before or whether Drake Mann and Prospects Worldwide are really worth posting, but it’s still nice to see that they ranked 4 Brewers among the top 6 hitters in the 2021 Arizona Complex League: C Jeferson Quero, OF Hedbert Perez, OF Hendry Mendez, SS Eduardo Garcia.

https://prospectsworldwide.com/2021/12/17/2021-top-20-arizona-complex-league-hitters/amp/

New Carolina Mudcat manager Victor Estevez (just promoted from the DSL) should have a fun time managing this quartet in Low-A this year.

I’m not sure if this has been posted before or whether Drake Mann and Prospects Worldwide are really worth posting, but it’s still nice to see that they ranked 4 Brewers among the top 6 hitters in the 2021 Arizona Complex League: C Jeferson Quero, OF Hedbert Perez, OF Hendry Mendez, SS Eduardo Garcia.

https://prospectsworldwide.com/2021/12/17/2021-top-20-arizona-complex-league-hitters/amp/

New Carolina Mudcat manager Victor Estevez (just promoted from the DSL) should have a fun time managing this quartet in Low-A this year.

Cool to see some of the guys from Stearns & company's increased effort in the international market starting to make their way stateside, get some good reports & hopefully start climbing the ladder.

After hitting 296/386/447 with 23 BB / 28 K in the Dominican complex league last summer gotta imagine that Jackson Chourio should be headed for Arizona this summer.

I really like how our future OF is shaping up... Wiemer with that huge power in RF, Frelick speedster, slick fielder in CF and another speedster, slick fielder in LF with Mitchell (if he develops that power, watch out!).

And not to mention, Hedbert and Gray Jr as well.

Cool to see some of the guys from Stearns & company's increased effort in the international market starting to make their way stateside, get some good reports & hopefully start climbing the ladder.

After hitting 296/386/447 with 23 BB / 28 K in the Dominican complex league last summer gotta imagine that Jackson Chourio should be headed for Arizona this summer.

It's a bit of a random assemblage of stats, but Chourio was one of five Brewers prospects with a K rate below 15%, a walk rate above 10% and an ISO above .100. It seemed like he started a bit slow, but that was a nice season he had.

(The others were Quero, Mendez, Frelick and Valerio.)

Prospects1500 posted its own ranking of the farm systems on 2/9/22. It is free to review so here is the link...

https://www.pitcherlist.com/2020-mlb-farm-system-rankings/

MKE is 23rd on this listing, up from 28th last season.

As a side note I am loading all these published rankings into a single excel spreadsheet. With 5 sources released so far, MKE is 22 with an avg rank of 22.6...

The only near consensus is ChiSox at the bottom (30th rank in 4 of 5 lists & #29 in the other)..

ESPN has Ashby ranked 83 in their new top 100. Only Brewer to make the list.

They either rank Ashby as our #1 or put him around #6-7

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Prospects1500 posted its own ranking of the farm systems on 2/9/22. It is free to review so here is the link...

https://www.pitcherlist.com/2020-mlb-farm-system-rankings/

MKE is 23rd on this listing, up from 28th last season.

As a side note I am loading all these published rankings into a single excel spreadsheet. With 5 sources released so far, MKE is 22 with an avg rank of 22.6...

The only near consensus is ChiSox at the bottom (30th rank in 4 of 5 lists & #29 in the other)..

That link is from 2020. This link seems to be the one MT meant to link:

https://www.prospects1500.com/nl-central/brewers/milwaukee-brewers-top-50-prospects-2022/

I really like how our future OF is shaping up... Wiemer with that huge power in RF, Frelick speedster, slick fielder in CF and another speedster, slick fielder in LF with Mitchell (if he develops that power, watch out!).

And not to mention, Hedbert and Gray Jr as well.

For sure the thing I am most excited about for this system. Lot of ceiling and raw potential of these OF prospects. Really hope a few hit and make it as regulars.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

It appears as if one of the bigger knocks on the Brewers' system (along with pitching depth) is the lack of that true No. 1, top 25 overall type prospect. Thinking about who could be that guy if they have one after this coming year, Wiemer and Mitchell seem like the obvious picks, but I wonder if the guy with the clearest path there might not be Quero. A catching prospect who it seems like everyone agrees will stick behind the plate and has no makeup issues. If he can come even close to replicating his complex league stats across the A-ball levels this coming season, I have to think he's the system's biggest riser.

AUDIO via The Prospect Pod: Milwaukee Brewers System Breakdown

Nearly 55 minutes on what their analyst consider the Crew's top ten prospects and then those that "just missed".

They rank as follows:

Garrett Mitchell

Sal Frelick

Jeferson Quero

Hedbert Perez

Ethan Small

Brice Turang

Aaron Ashby

Joe Gray, Jr.

Freddy Zamora

Tyler Black

Beyond the Top Ten discussed but not necessarily 11, 12, etc.

Joey Wiemer (podcast points docked for pronouncing it "Wymer")

Korry Howell

Jackson Chourio

Zavier Warren

It appears as if one of the bigger knocks on the Brewers' system (along with pitching depth) is the lack of that true No. 1, top 25 overall type prospect. Thinking about who could be that guy if they have one after this coming year, Wiemer and Mitchell seem like the obvious picks, but I wonder if the guy with the clearest path there might not be Quero. A catching prospect who it seems like everyone agrees will stick behind the plate and has no makeup issues. If he can come even close to replicating his complex league stats across the A-ball levels this coming season, I have to think he's the system's biggest riser.

I've seen a lot of guys like Quero come and go at this point. My opinion has turned into wake me when their crushing A+ at least. Although now that we have 3 highly rated young intl guys, maybe we'll finally hit with 1 of them.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.