Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Brett Sullivan

markedman5

This is the Brewers big move before the lockout signing a guy we have never heard of.

Sullivan is quite literally the 2022 version of Luke Maile. His biggest value is that he has options remaining, and can be safely stashed at Nashville and serve as an emergency 3rd catcher in a pinch without a ton of roster maneuvering. This is all about maintaining roster flexibility, as there are only a few guys slated for the 26-man active roster who will be able to be optioned in 2022.

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

Yeah, I never understand the sly remarks when signings like this are made. It's not like the team, the reporter, or anyone else is making this out to be a "big" signing. It's a signing, it fills a role in the organization, and I like knowing when the team I follow has made a change in their roster, so I appreciate that it's reported. Not every report needs to be about a "needle mover" acquisition (although a lot of times the culmination of all these little moves do make a difference as the year goes on and do move the needle just enough to make a difference, it's a big reason why the team has been consistently successful despite injuries and subpar performances).

Yeah, I never understand the sly remarks when signings like this are made. It's not like the team, the reporter, or anyone else is making this out to be a "big" signing. It's a signing, it fills a role in the organization, and I like knowing when the team I follow has made a change in their roster, so I appreciate that it's reported. Not every report needs to be about a "needle mover" acquisition (although a lot of times the culmination of all these little moves do make a difference as the year goes on and do move the needle just enough to make a difference, it's a big reason why the team has been consistently successful despite injuries and subpar performances).

Exactly. In fact, right now is typically the time of year where moves such as this one are commonplace, as the big names usually don't ink their contracts unter later in the winter. Obviously this free agency period is a little different with the lockout looming, but that doesn't mean that the Brewers shouldn't be making the type of depth moves that they'd typically be doing this time of year. #2 and #3 catcher were obvious needs for the 2022 season, and it appears those needs have been filled with Sullivan and presumably Severino. They aren't the headline-grabbing deals that excite most fans, but these types of moves are essential toward putting a complete team on the field next season.

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

Yeah, I never understand the sly remarks when signings like this are made.

It's also funny to me that there are always people who criticize these moves when we've seen Stearns make "boring" moves that "don't move the needle" time and time again that have only resulted in the best multi-year stretch this franchise has ever seen.

This move is obviously meaningless but its disheartening to watch free agency from the sidelines while stars sign with the big money teams. It would be nice to have a level playing field or something at least close to it.

If you change your expectations/perspective, you would have a much brighter outlook. Could argue that we will have a better record than any of the teams signing these big free agents. We will be just fine.

This move is obviously meaningless but its disheartening to watch free agency from the sidelines while stars sign with the big money teams. It would be nice to have a level playing field or something at least close to it.

When was the last time the team who won the off season actually won the World Series? FWIW I agree it would be nice to see something resembling a level playing field.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

when made official, this will be the first major league contract for brett sullivan, something brewers888 has almost assuredly never achieved.

he will enter spring training with three minor league options, and cannot refuse a minor league assignment if he happens to clear outright waivers.

Sounds like another bat-first catcher with questionable framing skills. The front office must be confident that the magic they worked with Narvaez is translatable to similar players like Severino and Sullivan.

April 2019 writeup from Fangraphs:

Brett Sullivan, TBR C (AAA)

First-time Fringe Fiver

Easily the fringiest of this crop, Sullivan is a 25-year-old former-17th-round catching non-prospect stalled out at Double-A. In 111 games at Double-A last ear, Sullivan hit seven home runs and stole 17 bases while striking out just 11.8% of the time. This is all par for the course for Sullivan: he consistently sports above-average baserunning acumen, (very) modest power, and excellent contact skills. It’s nothing to write home about, even for a catcher, yet Sullivan’s projected .281 wOBA (by Steamer) would rank second behind Mike Zunino among catchers on the Rays’ depth chart. His biggest flaw, unfortunately, is what Baseball Prospectus perceives to be bottom-of-the-barrel framing skills. If he continues to be a massive liability, he will be unplayable behind the plate — and, thus, unplayable anywhere else. But if you are in a preposterously deep dynasty league and need a catcher who can run, can “hit for average” (which, for catchers, means hit .240 or .250), and is absurdly fringy, Sullivan’s your guy.

(Sullivan went on to have a great season at AA in 2019.)

I think David Fry's numbers are better. He has less experience at AAA but he has hit better in the minors than Sullivan. Not a big deal and it is always good to have catching depth. Maybe they just wanted a LH bat to replace Narvaez if he gets hurt.

This.

If they needed a catcher with options remaining, why not simply select Fry's contract?

Why sign Sullivan?

I think David Fry's numbers are better. He has less experience at AAA but he has hit better in the minors than Sullivan. Not a big deal and it is always good to have catching depth. Maybe they just wanted a LH bat to replace Narvaez if he gets hurt.

This.

If they needed a catcher with options remaining, why not simply select Fry's contract?

Why sign Sullivan?

I assume it's because Sullivan has the reputation of being solid defensively. Fry is more of a utility type who "can" catch. Also, if they aren't required to add Fry to the roster, and he isn't quite ready yet for a MLB role, why clog a spot with him?

It's easy to understand the disappointment when guys like this are signed.

As a fan, it is really easy to understand why this type of signing doesn't make anyone giddy with excitement.

Sadly, I have just become numb to this kind of signing, mostly because we need these kind of players, and then there is the more repetitive reason:

- This is what we do.

If people are still expecting to sign the top shelf guys, for literally hundreds of millions of dollars, then those same people will continue to be disappointed.

Brewers facts of life.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As a fan, it is really easy to understand why this type of signing doesn't make anyone giddy with excitement.

Sadly, I have just become numb to this kind of signing, mostly because we need these kind of players, and then there is the more repetitive reason:

- This is what we do.

If people are still expecting to sign the top shelf guys, for literally hundreds of millions of dollars, then those same people will continue to be disappointed.

Brewers facts of life.

True words right here. Wisdom sits in the Turbo Dome.

I can easily understand #2, but not #1.

Every team makes signings like these. I don't know why anyone would waste an ounce of brain space to even think about them.

Which is why I actually said that we need guys like this in my post...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Every team makes signings like these. I don't know why anyone would waste an ounce of brain space to even think about them.

Which is why I actually said that we need guys like this in my post...

I think he was questioning your "easy to understand the disappointment" line. Getting mad about signing a guy like Brett Sullivan is akin to getting upset because your Hungry Man salisbury steak meal doesn't taste like a perfectly grilled ribeye. Why would it even cross your mind that it would?