Brewer Fanatic

Avisail Garcia signs with Marlins

Eye Black

Per Ken Rosenthal:

Source confirms: Free-agent outfielder Avisail Garcia in agreement with Marlins on four-year contract.

Per Jeff Passan:

Outfielder Avisail Garcia and the Miami Marlins are in agreement on a four-year, $53 million, a source tells ESPN. Craig Mish was on top of it.

Marlins are another team with some money to spend, and they shore up an outfield that has been a big deficit in recent seasons.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Good for him! Glad he turned this season into a nice paycheck

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I am happy we didn't do a deal like this and think we need to upgrade over Garcia.

That is going to be difficult. He was the best bat in the lineup last season, and it wasn't particularly close. I personally think he's going to be a huge loss.

Adames created more runs in 100 fewer PA's.

I am happy we didn't do a deal like this and think we need to upgrade over Garcia.

That is going to be difficult. He was the best bat in the lineup last season, and it wasn't particularly close. I personally think he's going to be a huge loss.

Adames was certainly impactful after he arrived. But that wasn't until the end of May. Garcia missed some time here and there due to injury, but he was consistent all season for the most part. He was a big part of the Brewers getting out to an early lead in the division.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He was the best bat in the lineup last season, and it wasn't particularly close. I personally think he's going to be a huge loss.

Adames was certainly impactful after he arrived. But that wasn't until the end of May. Garcia missed some time here and there due to injury, but he was consistent all season for the most part. He was a big part of the Brewers getting out to an early lead in the division.

The Brewers were below .500 when they acquired Adames. If you wanna say "Garcia was the best bat in the lineup last season" that's arguable from certain standpoints. Saying "it wasn't even close" is easy to debunk.

The Brewers were below .500 when they acquired Adames. If you wanna say "Garcia was the best bat in the lineup last season" that's arguable from certain standpoints. Saying "it wasn't even close" is easy to debunk.

I suppose that's fair. I kinda have a soft spot for Garcia after his rough 2020 and the hate he took from quite a few posters here. Perhaps I was a bit too hyperbolic in my initial reply.

I think this deal makes it pretty obvious that the Brewers erred in a major way by not making a qualifying offer to Garcia (which he likely wouldn't have accepted). This team's front office hasn't had a ton of big misses, but this looks like a bad one. Losing out on a 1st round pick isn't a killer, but it isn't good.

no way of knowing if a player accepts that qo, and paying Garcia almost 20 mil is not a great idea. that kind of gamble isn't worth the potential prize of getting a 1st round pick. let's wait and see how the off season plays out before we call this a failure.

Exactly....and even then he may be speaking with a lot of hindsight and not actually what he would have thought at the time.

I'd be hesitant giving a QO to any FAs that likely aren't worth that amount of $$ for a season, when there's still a chance that the 2022 season is going to start in a lockout. Not necessarily because they'd have to pay that player during a lockout, but because having that much of your payroll dedicated to a short term signing this offseason really would limit anything else the Brewers would do in terms of trades or other FA acquisitions until there's more CBA clarity.

Best of luck to Avi down in Miami...

I think this deal makes it pretty obvious that the Brewers erred in a major way by not making a qualifying offer to Garcia (which he likely wouldn't have accepted). This team's front office hasn't had a ton of big misses, but this looks like a bad one. Losing out on a 1st round pick isn't a killer, but it isn't good.

the QO would've been much higher on an AAV amount than what Garcia just signed - this deal gives him some longterm security, but the last deal he signed with the Brewers made it obvious he's willing to bet on himself with shorter term contracts.

The only reason Avi wouldn't have signed to get paid closer to $20M for a single season in 2022 and dip his toe back into free agency next offseason is concern of losing the shot at a 4+ year contract due to his age getting another year north of 30. I think it's much more of a coinflip whether he'd have accepted the QO or not, and that's actually a risk this Brewers organization couldn't take given the fact they already have a ton of payroll dedicated to outfielders in 2022 even without Garcia.

If I'm reading the about to expire CBA correctly, the cut off line for the draft pick being after the first round vs after Comp Round B is 50 million.

If Garcia had the QO attached he likely gets under 50 million, so the real risk was him accepting the QO & torpedoing what little financial flexibility the Brewers have this offseason vs getting a draft pick in the 70s if he declined.

Think it was a win win for both parties. Brewers maintain some sliver of maneuverability & Avi gets a bigger payday.