Brewer Fanatic

5/18/06 Club Carnival (TBA) @ Brewerfan.net (Brewer Fever)

Jimbo

Brewerfan.net in our first game took it on the chin 8-7.

We had some timely hits, came back to tie the game at 7, but let a run score in the 8th inning. We had some good fielding, nice hits, and we were in the game all the way. I'm proud of the team, let's see how the scorecard looks when Jimbo posts it.

BTW- I found the scorebook.

I managed to record the first ground out (6-3) in Brewerfan softball history. I came back with a few hits though, and did a pretty decent job defensively at second base.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Had a fantastic time tonight... I think it was a great game, considering this was our first time playing together as a team. A real fun, evenly matched opponent tonight as well.... they were classy, unlike the team that was playing at 8pm. Even if we would have lost 30-0, I had a blast.

I'm looking very forward to next Thursday, and I wouldn't mind squeezing a practice in on Sunday if anyone else is game.

I was pretty dang proud to record the first swing-and-miss strikeout in Brewerfan.net history. I had a blast as well, and am looking forward to next week.

And if anyone is interested, I would be down for a little practice this weekend. Specifically, on fielding bad throws to first, as I felt kinda rusty out there tonight.

I'm calling on some help here guys. I honestly thought Club Carnival scored twice in the top of the 8th. Am I wrong? I want to get the details as accurate as possible.

Let me know where I'm wrong.

Top 8th

*Ground out, short to first

*Single

*Grounder to third, throw wide of second. Runner scores, batter to third. Batter thrown out trying to score.

*Batter reaches on error??????

*Batter reaches first on shortstop losing ball in darkness, runner scores.

*Pop out, third base.

I was the one who retrieved the errant throw, I though the lead runner scored. Or did the only run score on the dropped pop?

Was Brian or Iron catching the 7th/8th?

Here's what I remember...

Top 8th

* Ground out, short to first

* "Single" on pseudo-chopper up the middle-ish, mishandled by short (I suck)

* Grounder to third, throw wide of second. Runner scores, batter thrown out trying to score. Bases are clear, two outs.

* Batter reaches first on shortstop losing ball in the clouds 'cos it was a million miles in the air (or, I suck again)

*Final out recorded (if you say "Pop out, third base", I'll take your word for it)

I removed your "*Batter reaches on error??????" line. I don't remember this occurring. When that pop-up finally came down (5 feet behind me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif ), all I remember was the batter still being less than half-way to first 'cos he didn't run it out. Now, if there had been a runner on somewhere, since there was two outs, it's definitely possible that he left on contact and scored while that flippin ball was still in the air, and some of us just missed it.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

valpo, if you weren't at SS tonight, i think we would have given up about 10 more hits. i think we're lucky to have you there.

good job by all on defense tonight, although i would have liked a more cleanly played game out of myself in LC.

i still had a great time, and i agree with brian that club carnival played a good, classy ballgame. we match up well with them, and i'm looking forward to playing them again and hopefully picking up a win next time.

I don't remember any runners being on base when the pop up landed in the infield. I personally remember feeling dumb for not moving to cover first, as the batter didn't even really bother to run, and we may still have been able to throw him out.

In fact, I'll guarantee that nobody was on when that pop-up happened.

Thanks guys. i coulda swore there was a guy on 3rd when valpo missed the popup and scored an insurance run.

It's really, really sad when the team scorekeeper (moi) doesn't even know the final score.

I should all updates posted by 5 pm Friday.

Quote:
I'm looking very forward to next Thursday, and I wouldn't mind squeezing a practice in on Sunday if anyone else is game.

I think I'm game.. and I think I should, besides. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

One thing that would be worth working on -- for me, at least -- would be batting with that giant arc.. and maybe the spin. Everything I remember practicing was like, normal compared to that guy last night.

Valpo, you did well. You're our J.J. Hardy.

If you want ugly, check out my outfield assist *cough, cough*, bailed out by a heads-up play by the C, P and possible bad call by the ump. U-G-L-Y.

[ If you want ugly, check out my outfield assist *cough, cough*, bailed out by a heads-up play by the C, P and possible bad call by the ump. U-G-L-Y. ]

That was actually my favorite play of the evening. Great job by Brewer Fever to back up home plate while I relayed the throw. I think he might have gotten that call wrong as well, but it was a really good drill, if nothing else. I kinda like catching.

One thing that would be worth working on -- for me, at least -- would be batting with that giant arc.. and maybe the spin. Everything I remember practicing was like, normal compared to that guy last night.

I'm with you, and I know I had this problem before when I played years ago. In practice once I found my groove I was driving the ball much better than my two weak pop-outs last night. Any tips for the more seasoned softball vets would be appreciated.

Allow me to add onto the praise for Valpo's D'.

I also agree that I had a lot of fun, and look forward to Thursday nights. Unfortunately, I don't think I can join you guys for practice this Sunday.

Archived