Badgers vs. Gophers

RobertR

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
apparently the special teams coach called out the punt unit.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

apparently the special teams coach called out the punt unit.

That's kinda crappy to throw the ST coach under the bus. Chryst is the HC. HE should have been communicating to everyone that they were gonna go for it on 4th down before it got to that point. If the wrong unit was on the field, that's on Chryst. Even if it's not on Chryst, it is, because he's the HC, and everything runs through him. He's the one that ultimately makes those decisions, and at that point in the game, he knew before 3rd down (or should have) that he was going to go for it on 4th down, or have had a "will we or won't we" set of scenarios ready to go for 4th down on whether or not they would punt. Communicate, communicate, communicate.

Throwing the ST guy under the bus is crap leadership.

I have to admit that I would have put the punt team out there myself and kicked it away. The less I have to watch this offense, the better. With Allen looking all hobbled, you can either get points by Mertz leading a long drive down the field in a critical situation, or you can put the defense on the field and maybe they get an interception or fumble return for a TD. I'd go with the latter as being more likely to happen.

Let's be real, this Badger team would have been a piss poor Rose Bowl representative anyway.

Would never have been them. Pretty sure they are suppose to take the highest non playoff team via CFP rankings. Pretty sure they wouldn’t have had to take the Badgers purely on winning the championship game. Ohio State and Michigan would have both likely been higher in the CFP even with a win today and next Saturday.

I have to admit that I would have put the punt team out there myself and kicked it away. The less I have to watch this offense, the better. With Allen looking all hobbled, you can either get points by Mertz leading a long drive down the field in a critical situation, or you can put the defense on the field and maybe they get an interception or fumble return for a TD. I'd go with the latter as being more likely to happen.

I mean as a half serious joke, sure. In reality, punting there deserves a prison sentence.

Let's be real, this Badger team would have been a piss poor Rose Bowl representative anyway.

Would never have been them. Pretty sure they are suppose to take the highest non playoff team via CFP rankings. Pretty sure they wouldn’t have had to take the Badgers purely on winning the championship game. Ohio State and Michigan would have both likely been higher in the CFP even with a win today and next Saturday.

In 2022, the Rose Bowl is Big 10 champion vs Pac 10 Champion.

Subtract Allen and the offensive skill position group was at MAC level this year.

I think they have some talented receivers but with a bad QB and an O-line with pass protection problems, receiver doesn't matter at all.

Talented receivers don't run bad routes and miss catches that HS WR make.

I will never understand why they don't have a package with a second running back in the backfield and some kind of option play to at least stop the D from crashing like they did on Allen.

At least it would give the D something else to think about a couple of times a game.

Don't have to run it every series but this would have been the game to have a zone read or some other misdirection option in the toolbox.

I will never understand why they don't have a package with a second running back in the backfield and some kind of option play to at least stop the D from crashing like they did on Allen.

At least it would give the D something else to think about a couple of times a game.

Don't have to run it every series but this would have been the game to have a zone read or some other misdirection option in the toolbox.

Yeah, they line up Chenal as a FB, but he's almost never a running threat to the point defenses will even consider him. Wisconsin's offensive sets are way, way, way too predictable based on set and personnel. You can just tell what's coming based on who's out there and what the set is. I'm sure most teams are pretty predictable to some degree with their personnel packages, but Badgers football is almost set in stone, and that makes it harder for the guys to execute.

Ferguson and an uninjured Allen are the only offensive skill position players that I had any faith in. Every one else is just too inconsistent. There were plenty of catchable balls that were dropped and bad routes run to give anyone a pass on offense this year. Braelon Allen pretty much carried the offense.

There's plenty of blame to go around from coaching to recruiting to the players themselves.

Go back and review the press conference and what Chryst said. He never said anything about the ST coach; his exact words were, "I didn’t handle it well, flat out.”

Other sources are saying that the ST coach sent the punt unit out.

Go back and review the press conference and what Chryst said. He never said anything about the ST coach; his exact words were, "I didn’t handle it well, flat out.”

Other sources are saying that the ST coach sent the punt unit out.

It's funny how Chryst seems to be hated by about 80% on the various message boards, while at the same time is pretty much universally loved by the Badger fanbase in Madison.