Brewer Fanatic

Pedro Severino Signs with Brewers 1 year 1.9 million

IntentionalHBP

Six years younger than Piña and looks like he has similar potential for offense production.

Defensively, he doesn’t have as good of a record of cutting down base runners stealing. Some of those passed ball totals are troubling: 10 in 2019 (89 games), 5 in 2020 (35 games), 10 in 2021 (109 games).

Will need to work on that defense and get comfortable with the pitching staff, but he seems to be more than serviceable backup catcher.

I’m very interested to see if his defense improves. The Brewers staff seem like defensive catching savants, but this will certainly provide another challenge/case study.

In terms of defensive runs saved Severino’s -9 mark over 883 innings was nearly on par with Gary Sanchez’s -10 over 879 defensive innings.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Seems like a reasonable deal for a backup catcher. Hits lefties well, rough defense but Brewers have been good at improving that. If he sucks it's a ~$2m committment for one year, if he's good he will be arbitration eligible at the end of the year.

I’m very interested to see if his defense improves. The Brewers staff seem like defensive catching savants, but this will certainly provide another challenge/case study.

In terms of defensive runs saved Severino’s -9 mark over 883 innings was nearly on par with Gary Sanchez’s -10 over 879 defensive innings.

Yeah. Omar improved from -41 DRS & -22.3 framing runs in 2386 innings from 2016-19 to +5 DRS & +12.7 framing runs in 1171 innings since joining the Brewers.

For comparison, Severino is at -18 DRS & -22.1 framing runs in 2541 career innings behind the dish.

I wonder if better pitchers lead to better framing stats. Like hitting a target slightly out of the zone looks better than missing the target but having the pitch go to the same spot. Just curious if there is some comparison done on this somewhere.

I guess my point/hope is that even if Pedro isn't the best our staff might make him look good anyway.

Hopefully the vsLHP splits are real and sustainable. Not the most exciting guy in the world, but we need a backup who is not Luke Maile and the market is pretty thin this year. At 28 years old, he's surprisingly young for a free agent C, probably some upside still left both defensively and offensively.

Career splits

Narvaez vs. RHP: .279/.356/.422/.778, .337 wOBA, 112 wRC+

Severino vs. LHP: .262/.324/.441/.765, .325 wOBA, 102 wRC+

2021 splits

Narvaez vs. RHP: .289/.365/.440/.805, .346 wOBA, 115 wRC+

Severino vs. LHP: .293/.342/.476/.818, .349 wOBA, 120 wRC+

I like it!

The Brewers became a worse team by letting Manny Pina walk and signing this guy. But Mark A. saved a few nickels so there's that.

Severino is 6 years younger and better with the bat. Your argument seems quite ludicrous and completely not based in any sort of reality IMO.

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

The Brewers became a worse team by letting Manny Pina walk and signing this guy. But Mark A. saved a few nickels so there's that.

If payroll declines from 2021, a few nickles will have been saved.

If payroll increases from 2021, those nickles (& maybe even some dimes and quarters) will have been re-allocated to positions of greater need.

The one position where you hate to have a bad defensive player is at catcher. The Brewers helped turn Narvaez around defensively and hopefully can do the same with Severino but being bad defensively at this position is not good at all.

If it is a true straight up platoon, what % of ABs will Severino get...15%, 20%....?

The one position where you hate to have a bad defensive player is at catcher. The Brewers helped turn Narvaez around defensively and hopefully can do the same with Severino but being bad defensively at this position is not good at all.

If it is a true straight up platoon, what % of ABs will Severino get...15%, 20%....?

Kinda inferred towards this in a different thread but Narvaez had 445PAs out of what you could assume 685? PAs a Bottom 5 batter receives. But that is ignoring some fact with Pina's tenor and reliability defensively to shed PAs from Narvaez. But if you also look up and down many teams stats a split a little shy of 500-200 seems the norm with potential for more PAs going to Severino. So you are looking towards 30pct if both Narvaez and he share PAs and no other C possibility enters the fray(Feliciano? a mid season trade?)

I like this signing because of the complement to Narvaez in 2022 and also because he is young enough to still break out. It is a long shot but could be the starter in 2023 with a cheap backup in Feliciano.

I suppose they could try to hang onto Severino, but note this is only a one-year deal.

I like this signing because of the complement to Narvaez in 2022 and also because he is young enough to still break out. It is a long shot but could be the starter in 2023 with a cheap backup in Feliciano.

I suppose they could try to hang onto Severino, but note this is only a one-year deal.

It looks like he's still arbitration eligible and under team control for 2023: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/milwaukee-brewers/pedro-severino-18162/

I guess when an arbitration eligible player is non-tendered they don't lose their remaining years of arbitration?

Yeah. Omar improved from -41 DRS & -22.3 framing runs in 2386 innings from 2016-19 to +5 DRS & +12.7 framing runs in 1171 innings since joining the Brewers.

For comparison, Severino is at -18 DRS & -22.1 framing runs in 2541 career innings behind the dish.

The best case in 2022 is that Severino hits like he has, Narvaez puts up a similar year to 2021 (albeit more consistent), and Feliciano rebounds to his 2019 form after two years lost to pandemic and injury.

Brewers can then trade Narvaez, have Feliciano be the #1 catcher of the future, and have Severino as a backup.

I like this signing because of the compliment to Narvaez in 2022 and also because he is young enough to still break out. It is a long shot but could be the starter in 2023 with a cheap backup in Feliciano.

Prior to the 2020 minor league season being wiped out by Covid, Feliciano was being groomed as a future starter, not a backup. His 2021 season was injury plagued and his production wasn't there. He was okay in AFL, but he's going to need a big season at AAA in 2022. I think they still have faith in him or they wouldn't have traded Henry.