Brewer Fanatic

Game 11: Packers @ Vikings - Sunday, November 21st, Noon CT

homer

So many angry thoughts in one post:

1) Special cost them a second game.

2) When the Packers rough the passer, it negates an INT, but when the Vikings rough the passer, it adds 15 yards to the kickoff.

3) The coin toss bit them in the butt today. The Vikings had one more possession than the Packers and they were able to win the game with it.

4) They were clearly missing their pash rush today.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure we'd like that 3 points but I think the Vikings get a TD at the end if they had needed one. But the special teams are awful for sure and Crosby is a big part of that.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Fortunately for the Packers, the only team the Vikings seem to be able to beat is them.

They have @SF and Rams at home left but other than that seems like they can get close enough to make that game in GB meaningful. This one hurts, mostly because I really really hate them, so much more than the Bears, but also because we sort of gave it away. And it looks like we lost Jenkins, who knows about Bak, Jaire, or Z. This sucks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So many angry thoughts in one post:

1) Special cost them a second game.

2) When the Packers rough the passer, it negates an INT, but when the Vikings rough the passer, it adds 15 yards to the kickoff.

3) The coin toss bit them in the butt today. The Vikings had one more possession than the Packers and they were able to win the game with it.

4) They were clearly missing their pash rush today.

I don't know what else they Packers could do with the roughing the passer the VIkes commited. They already got the TD. You can say "it's not fair", but it's inherently going to be that way.

I took my kids to a movie and it let out just in time for me to see 31-31 with ball inside the 5. Looks like this one went about exactly as I feared.

Crosby is a liability. The Packers need a new kicker in practice. The long honeymoon is over. They WILL have to make a big field goal in the playoffs.

Oh well

There was no way Cook was going to take that run in for a TD. He'd let up right there at 7.

Douglas Im not sure what he was doing. If he was doing what he should have been thats likely an Int. Seems this game every missed impactful play was accumulated by Green Bay. To lose only by 3 is something else considering what this team is working with on the road.

I don't know what else they Packers could do with the roughing the passer the VIkes commited. They already got the TD. You can say "it's not fair", but it's inherently going to be that way.

I accept it … just a bad break.

I guess you could enforce the penalty after the interception and back the Packers up 15 yards, but that’s now how it works. Meanwhile, the Vikings get a clean shot at Rodgers with little to no consequences. It was enforced correctly, but it really stings.

Fortunately for the Packers, the only team the Vikings seem to be able to beat is them.

They have @SF and Rams at home left but other than that seems like they can get close enough to make that game in GB meaningful.

They won't. They're average and it's a huge game for them. They'll be fortunate to finish 9-8. They lose a lot of close games to other average teams because that is what average teams do. They periodically beat us like this. It happens.

I know all teams deal with injuries but man If not for them, this Packers team would be ridiculously good.

Agreed, but the Packers just went two full seasons with very good luck in that department. They were bound to regress. It’s a darn shame because I think they win this game with a healthy pass rush.

They have @SF and Rams at home left but other than that seems like they can get close enough to make that game in GB meaningful.

They won't. They're average and it's a huge game for them. They'll be fortunate to finish 9-8. They lose a lot of close games to other average teams because that is what average teams do. They periodically beat us like this. It happens.

We are pretty beat up, more worried about us having a little slide then them finishing 6-1 or something. They just need to get within a game by their trip to GB and have Detroit during our bye week. I know we will likely win the division by a couple of games but just seems like the injuries(and Crosby) have to add up and some point.

Edit: Just to add their offense is legit, we are lucky they bungled so many close games.

On the bright side, we have the Rams coming off a bye next.

oof. Well at least Rodgers and the offense got some of their mojo back today but not feeling good about next week at all. Any news on Jenkins? Seems like we find out about ACL's pretty quick as they can do a field test.

Edit: torn ACL

I know some people here think I’m nuts, but the Vikings won the coin toss and had an extra possession today - and that last possession determined the outcome of the game. The Packers are 2-9 in coin tosses this year. If it’s not a big deal, why does the opponent always defer?

Despite overall great team health in 2019-2020, injuries are going to cost this team 2 titles, starting with #69 going down in practice last new yrs eve. They beat Tampa with him, no question in my mind.

Maybe they find a way to heal up late this yr and make a run, but losing Jenkins is crushing in my book to an already shaky oline with Bakhtiari still seemingly not ready to play.

Such a shame...

Saying "overall great team health" and "injuries are going to cost this team 2 titles" are contradictory, IMO.

Every team has some degree of injury bug to deal with it. Tampa overcame it last year, we did not. We overcame it in 2010-11. No way go know if we win the NFCCG with Bahk, but there's no sense using it as a crutch. If one O-lineman is the difference between a Super Bowl and another NFCCG exit, then we simply weren't good enough.

Saying "overall great team health" and "injuries are going to cost this team 2 titles" are contradictory, IMO.

Every team has some degree of injury bug to deal with it. Tampa overcame it last year, we did not. We overcame it in 2010-11. No way go know if we win the NFCCG with Bahk, but there's no sense using it as a crutch. If one O-lineman is the difference between a Super Bowl and another NFCCG exit, then we simply weren't good enough.

Agree in a way, but losing the best LT in the game is a bigger deal than just saying "next man up" and expecting similar great results. The Packers had great health last season but that injury really hurt them at a vital position against a team with a great pass rush.

This season, injuries to key starters are all over the field on both sides of the ball - and they are keeping key players out a very long time if not the rest of the season and playoffs. The 2010-11 Packers team had tons of guys go on IR but their core guys stayed healthy enough to all be around for their run starting in late December. That team also was able to overcome all those injuries because #12 was on another planet with his level of play - Rodgers is still great but I don't think he's got the mobility anymore to evade a pass rush at will and basically do it all himself when need be. Plus despite the rankings up to this point, this year's defense is not nearly as sound a unit as the 2010-11 D was - particularly with Z. Smith, Alexander, Gary, etc. out with no signs of imminent return at this point.

I'm with you. It happens to every team and will have happened this year for the team that does end up winning. The Packers have milked a lot of excuses for a decade. They're not going to have a year where one of their top 7 or 8 starters isn't lost.

And guys, I said in the second or third post that this game concerned me. But the division will be wrapped up by the time we play Minnesota again. They're 5-5 because they're just OK. Almost every week their games can go either way. They're not going to chase for the division.

The Packers could certainly lose a first round game this year. But they're not going to collapse and cede the North because of one narrow divisional road loss. This game was basically Indy last season.

Since we're on that note the NFCCG just sucked. Didn't make the plays. Rodgers missed some big throws. The Scotty Miller TD before half will forever be hard to top in terms of jarring professional incompetence on the biggest stage.

Even if we end up as the 1 seed it's just hard for me to go into the playoffs with any real expectations. I almost have to stay guarded for my own sanity at this point. Not saying we can't get to the Super Bowl, it's totally possible but at the same time we could get bounced by whoever the 7 seed ends up being in the divisional round and it wouldn't be shocking.

That team also was able to overcome all those injuries because #12 was on another planet with his level of play - Rodgers is still great but I don't think he's got the mobility anymore to evade a pass rush at will and basically do it all himself when need be.

Your premise that the injuries in 2010 were to less important players is correct. But this part is way off. Rodgers really wasn't that good in 2010. In fact the offense really struggled for about 2/3 of that season. The defense is what kept them competing and into the playoffs. Rodgers had some next-level performances in the postseason (dreadful however in the NFCCG). If there is any difference in Rodgers then and now it is negligible at most. I mean last season alone he was much better than he was that Super Bowl season.

I've said this before but I don't really see any decline in Rodgers. I'm sure he's a few milliseconds slower but he is still plenty mobile, elusive, whatever. It seems like every time we lose this gets brought up that he "can't do it all." I don't see it.

Since we're on that note the NFCCG just sucked. Didn't make the plays. Rodgers missed some big throws. The Scotty Miller TD before half will forever be hard to top in terms of jarring professional incompetence on the biggest stage.

Even if we end up as the 1 seed it's just hard for me to go into the playoffs with any real expectations. I almost have to stay guarded for my own sanity at this point. Not saying we can't get to the Super Bowl, it's totally possible but at the same time we could get bounced by whoever the 7 seed ends up being in the divisional round and it wouldn't be shocking.

Completely with you here as well. I've missed 3 games this year (coincidentally all 3 losses) because I've basically adopted a policy of "if anything comes up, I'll skip the game." It's nice to be a winning team, but at this point there is definitely a "just make the Super Bowl already, and I don't trust you until you do" mentality for me.