Brewer Fanatic

Will the Brewers trade a SP for position player help?

I was looking through the free agent signing and I could not believe Eduardo Rodriguez got 5/77 after a 4.7 ERA season. His 2nd half was around 3.7 i believe, but his peripherals between halves were about the same so really it was more or less luck shifting his way a bit. I think the Brewers have 5 guys minimum that can post a better statline than Rodriguez over 30+ starts. If Rodriguez is truly worth 5/77, how much is Houser worth who is arguably better and will cost closer to $15 million total over 3 years with no guaranteed money? And Houser is probably the least valuable from a trade value perspective of our top 6 rotation options. Considering the state of our outfield and likely lack of payroll flexibility, do we consider trading a current rotation arm for position player help? Utilizing the rotation is a very viable option for getting a true difference maker in the outfield.

AL East proven. 19 game winner in 2019.

And now for the serious part. Rodriguez did post a 3.32 FIP and a K/BB ratio just under 4 in 2021, so the ERA probably did have a bit of bad luck factored in. From 2017-2019, Rodriguez posted a 3.92 ERA/3.84 FIP so it's not like he has a long history of the actual run prevention dragging well behind the peripherals. All told, since 2017 Rodriguez has a 3.71 FIP in 628 innings and it's pretty likely that's what Detroit is hoping to get out of him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It all comes down to what the team can get for one of their arms. There is nothing wrong with hanging onto Houser or Lauer or whomever - but if a good offer is made - you have to consider it.

I just don't want them to make a trade for the simple sake of making a trade.

We may be 1 year away from this answer of a clear yes. You will probably have to see what the costs come out to on Woodruff and Burnes. Also gotta consider what the new CBA leaves the team control of each and how expensive in the future it may be. You have JBJ and Cain contracts to come to an end to use to pay your pitchers. Lets say they extend Burnes during his first crack of Arb.

Really, don't expect any SP to be traded before the CBA is hashed out. I'd think any big moves that happens until then are moves made by big markets with another big market where money and team control doesn't really matter. Oh and of course you have Oakland who is having a swap meet regardless what happens with the CBA. Of SPs, Fastball Freddy would need to bring home a HR return which I can see plausible on the selling as high in value I think Peralta may be. Couple Teams(obviously all but need/fit currently) that could use Peralta with a number of top 100 prospects to choose from would be the Mets losing Syndergaard or the Giants with at the moment losing Gausman, Cueto, and Descalfini at SP. I would expect a top 25 guy headlining the trade with multiple more pieces. Joey Bart or Francisco Alvarez would fit that HR if you want to fill out your Catcher long-term with a headline return. Narvaez is a FA after 2022. Feliciano doesn't inspire a good bat at the moment. While I know some here clamor for OF help, I think we have a good share of that in the pipeline to bring help in the future. Maybe you even trade Narvaez to Giants and get Giants top prospect Luciano along with Bart in return.

We may be 1 year away from this answer of a clear yes. You will probably have to see what the costs come out to on Woodruff and Burnes. Also gotta consider what the new CBA leaves the team control of each and how expensive in the future it may be. You have JBJ and Cain contracts to come to an end to use to pay your pitchers. Lets say they extend Burnes during his first crack of Arb.

Really, don't expect any SP to be traded before the CBA is hashed out. I'd think any big moves that happens until then are moves made by big markets with another big market where money and team control doesn't really matter. Oh and of course you have Oakland who is having a swap meet regardless what happens with the CBA. Of SPs, Fastball Freddy would need to bring home a HR return which I can see plausible on the selling as high in value I think Peralta may be. Couple Teams(obviously all but need/fit currently) that could use Peralta with a number of top 100 prospects to choose from would be the Mets losing Syndergaard or the Giants with at the moment losing Gausman, Cueto, and Descalfini at SP. I would expect a top 25 guy headlining the trade with multiple more pieces. Joey Bart or Francisco Alvarez would fit that HR if you want to fill out your Catcher long-term with a headline return. Narvaez is a FA after 2022. Feliciano doesn't inspire a good bat at the moment. While I know some here clamor for OF help, I think we have a good share of that in the pipeline to bring help in the future. Maybe you even trade Narvaez to Giants and get Giants top prospect Luciano along with Bart in return.

I find it very unlikely that San Fran trades its C (Bart).

With Buster Posey retiring after the world series ended, Bart's role with the major league club is increasing in 2022.

I find it very unlikely that San Fran trades its C (Bart).

With Buster Posey retiring after the world series ended, Bart's role with the major league club is increasing in 2022.

kinda why I added Narvaez in to the deal. The Giants have nobody to clamor for as an upcoming SP next season. It's Logan Webb and nobodies. I dunno what way the Giants want to build their team moving forward. Are they just going to rest on these prospects and be really bad for 2022 certainly and maybe 2023? Or will they try to field a competitive team with moves going forward. They have a lot of money to invest to payroll, now do they do so add some FAs and then try filling that out is where I think a SP like Peralta you'd draft ahead of to do so than Joey Bart. Giants do have two up coming Catchers where a year of Narvaez could bridge the gap to or get a head start on extending Narvaez(with that freedom of payroll) to replace Posey. The Giants would have 5 seasons to bank on Peralta at a max of 8mil a year to build around with Webb. Peralta gave up 14HRs last season that within the Giants stadium would have only been 10. Think they would prefer a sure think at Starting Pitching over a high grade Catcher. Mentioned in the Pina thread, so few catchers are worth over 2WAR and getting a 0-1WAR is fairly easy to find. That 3+WAR SP is a goldmine to find.

[sarcasm]Imagine the farm system the Brewers could accrue if they traded away Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta![/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, if they trade one of their big three starters for a haul, I assume it would be Woodruff. The likelihood of trading any of them is obviously very small.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'm not necessarily thinking woodruff or burnes, I could see us potentially moving houser, lauer, or possibly ashby depending on the team. I also think the most likely trade would involve another contender with a surplus of position players. With that I'm looking heavily at the blue Jays and Mariners actually. For the mariners maybe Kyle Lewis, outside shot we try to buy low on kelenic but I highly doubt that would happen. For the blue Jays maybe gurriel or Hernandez, maybe biggio. Not necessarily one for one either, I guess I'm just looking at general framework on the type of trade I could see the brewers making. The brewers made a somewhat similar trade with the padres for urias. Obviously you don't trade a starting pitcher just to give one away, nothing wrong with heading into 2022 with an absolutely stacked rotation 1-6 with small in the wings. I suspect this type of trade will at minimum be explored as an option to improve the offense from a position of strength

Woodruff is actually younger than Houser by 8 days…so literally flat there. Woody would get the larger haul it would seem. Would also gain more salary as Woody will get expensive quick. Houser is still cheap and really made strides.

Mets get: SP Brandon Woodruff

Brewers get: 3B Brett Baty

C Francisco Alvarez

Something like that to replenish the minors a bit with high end talent.

Burnes

Peralta

Lauer

Houser

Ashby

Veteran?

Small in the wings. I like it!

I wouldn't trade Woodruff if it didn't include a bat that inserts directly into the line-up for 2022. That bat, PLUS some others to replenish.

I'm against trading any of our big 3 for the upcoming season though.

I'd be willing to trade Houser or Lauer, but not Ashby or Small, for a BIG bat.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I wouldn't trade Woodruff if it didn't include a bat that inserts directly into the line-up for 2022. That bat, PLUS some others to replenish.

I'm against trading any of our big 3 for the upcoming season though.

I'd be willing to trade Houser or Lauer, but not Ashby or Small, for a BIG bat.

That's generally my line of thinking as well. I'm certainly open to listening on Woodruff but I think you'd really want a game changer to consider moving him. For example, Bryan Reynolds is not enough for Woodruff in my opinion. Same with Kelenic. It's probably tough to get fair value for Woodruff because his value for 3 years is incredibly high, which is why Houser/Lauer are much more likely. And agreed that I'm not interested in trading any of these pitchers for solely prospect value unless it's some weird overpay that probably wouldn't happen anyway. The most likely fits would be trading with another win-now team that has a surplus of OF or 3b.

I think they'll trade Houser or Lauer, though I'm not sure it's for a "difference maker" For me, there's no way I trade any of the big three this off-season. I know people have a sour taste after the offensive struggles in the playoffs (and really all season) but this team is a contender as it stands now without adding anything because of their pitching. Avi put up really good numbers last season, and many are wanting to find a difference making bat in that position to fix things. It'll be tough to find a player that performs enough beyond that level to push the offensive outcome forward a significant level. It's going to take a full improvement across most of the board to shift things.

The Mets are interesting because they have two legit 3b prospects, with Mark Vientos being the other. They can trade from a position of strength. I wouldn’t mind making a move for either one.

For me it would depend on if Stearns found a difference maker before he made any deal for Vientos or Baty. Neither is any more than what the Brewers have in Urias.

Woodruff is actually younger than Houser by 8 days…so literally flat there. Woody would get the larger haul it would seem. Would also gain more salary as Woody will get expensive quick. Houser is still cheap and really made strides.

Mets get: SP Brandon Woodruff

Brewers get: 3B Brett Baty

C Francisco Alvarez

Something like that to replenish the minors a bit with high end talent.

Burnes

Peralta

Lauer

Houser

Ashby

Veteran?

Small in the wings. I like it!

I sure hope 3years of a top 5 pitcher in baseball brought back more than 2 prospects. The headline a catcher with under .250 BA at A+ ball. The Mets would most definitely need to make available any pitcher in their minors of Brewers choosing maybe then I could look the other way.

Solid proposal from the Mets.

Alvarez and Baty are 2 high end

prospects that would be core

players for many years.

To me I'd rather see a big bat, controllable big league player for Woodruff than a couple of maybes who might help down the road. The Brewers have to strike while they can still afford the young guys they have and make a legit run at the W.S. Woodruff would bring quite a haul from 4-5 teams with the type of talent the Brewers need right now.

Solid proposal from the Mets.

Alvarez and Baty are 2 high end

prospects that would be core

players for many years.

To me I'd rather see a big bat, controllable big league player for Woodruff than a couple of maybes who might help down the road. The Brewers have to strike while they can still afford the young guys they have and make a legit run at the W.S. Woodruff would bring quite a haul from 4-5 teams with the type of talent the Brewers need right now.

Would be nice for sure. But I think the amount of teams willing to unload an elite mlb bat aren’t going to be ones wanting woodruff. Any team that trades for Woodruff is likely going to want to send prospects as they want to win now. He is also going to be expensive the next few years, so that may limit teams as well. At some point we do need to look at unloading salary/talent, for younger cheaper talent. It’s the way it is regardless of who the player is.

Kinda off topic but with the mentions of NY Mets, I am reminded of when we got Hader/Houser et all from Houston while Stearns was heavily involved with Houston at the time…and coming to Milwaukee to enjoy those same players that got traded.

Could we see something similar with the Crew and Mets with the possibility that Stearns will be joint Billy Eppler in NY?

That is a concern for sure. I mentioned a long time ago that having Stearns here for one lame duck season, knowing full well he will be gone after this coming season, is just a bad idea.

It can lead to a major conflict of interests when it comes to trades, etc.

Offer up a HUGE extension, see if he bites. If he doesn't, we know he plans to leave.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Mitch Garver and Taylor Rodgers for Hauser. It’s pretty even according to baseball trade values trade simulator.

Garver and Narvaez could split C/DH so neither wear down. It definitely seems like Narvaez did last year. Garver can play 1B too. Plus Rogers would help the bullpen, especially if Hader is traded

Mitch Garver and Taylor Rodgers for Hauser. It’s pretty even according to baseball trade values trade simulator.

Garver and Narvaez could split C/DH so neither wear down. It definitely seems like Narvaez did last year. Garver can play 1B too. Plus Rogers would help the bullpen, especially if Hader is traded

That’s an interesting one, I like it from the Brewers perspective.

I wonder what Twins fans would think of it? I am not certain if the Twins are a team expecting to win again as soon as this season, or if they are going to undergo a minor reset for a year or two. In other words, does Houser interest them in the near term, or are they more likely to seek close to the big leagues type prospects in trades.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Mitch Garver and Taylor Rodgyearsers for Hauser. It’s pretty even according to baseball trade values trade simulator.

Houser himself can help the bullpen. You'll trade 3 years of that for 1 year of it plus a backup catcher for 2years? How can this trade value simulater even work this as equal?

Twins make this deal no matter what situation they are in. You save them over 6mil on payroll and give them a SP for 3years, a higher quality SP then the majority of SPs they have used in the 2000s. Why do we hate Houser? Is there something I'm missing? This why too many post his name as Hauser?