Brewer Fanatic

6/1/06 BF.net (BrewerFever) @ Landmark 1850 (Dude TBA) 9pm

nullbyte

The final game of a grueling week-long road trip, the Brewerfan.net squad hopes to rebound from last week's tragic weather misjudgment.

(Lineup and positions subject to change.)

1. BrewerJamie15 - (2B => DH)

2. Houlie24X - (LF => DH)

3. Razzzorsharp - 3B

4. AJAY - LC

5. Brewer Fever - P

6. Dougjones43 - (DH => LF)

7. valpocrewsader - SS

8. Bball123h - (DH => 1B)

9. nullbyte - (RF => DH)

10. radman12484 - (C => DH)

11. Robin19 - (DH => 2B)

12. AJOHNSON104 - RC

13. Iron Chef Napalm - (1B => DH)

14. Brian the Automator - (DH => C)

15. Jimbo - (DH => RF)

(Colbyjack out)

Possibility based on Jimbo's last idea:

1st half 2nd half --------- ---------- 1. BrewerJamie15 2B 4 DH 2. Houlie24X LF 7 DH 3. Razzzorsharp 3B 5 3B 5 4. AJAY LC 8 LC 8 5. Brewer Fever P 1 P 1 6. Dougjones43 RC 9 LF 7 7. valpocrewsader SS 6 SS 6 8. Bball123h DH 1B 3 9. nullbyte RF 10 DH 10. radman12484 C 2 DH 11. Robin19 DH 2B 4 12. AJOHNSON104 DH RC 9 13. Iron Chef Napalm 1B 3 DH 14. Brian the Automator DH C 2 15. Jimbo DH RF 10

Current weather forecast for Thursday night: "Partly cloudy skies. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. Low 58F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph." (updated 1-Jun, 13:26) GAME ON!

In regard to substitutions, Iron Chef suggested it might be best to rotate in waves rather than all at once at the halfway point. Might provide a more even performance -- though it may be logistically tough. At any rate, it's worth a mention and a bit of discussion.

See you guys there!!!

I'd think a whole chunk of substitutions is the way to go since gradual replacements will drastically reduce playing time.

Then again, you can never tell if we're actually going to play.....

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I don?t think I was advocating gradual replacements as much as blending the order of replacements. Some of the rosters I had seen in the past had our first string caliber players in for half of the game and then putting in all the second string at once. It did not think that the best way to hold a lead or mount a comeback.

If we were going to do one giant switch near the halfway point, I thought it might be a good idea to mix around the talent to maintain some consistency on the field. I don?t know what the best mixture is and I?m a horrible judge of talent; it was just something I thought could have an adverse impact on the game and could be discussed.

If we were going to do one giant switch near the halfway point, I thought it might be a good idea to mix around the talent to maintain some consistency on the field. I don?t know what the best mixture is and I?m a horrible judge of talent; it was just something I thought could have an adverse impact on the game and could be discussed.

Are you suggesting:

a) starting three guys off the "DH" list along with seven position guys, play four innings and replace three "DH" guys and three position guys?

b) have the "DH" guys field two innings each, substituting for each other?

A in for B after 2 innings

C for D after 3

E for F after 4

B for A after 5

D for C after 6

I think he meant something like this, where all the DH players still get their field time, but its not like were sending in a whole new team at once.

I think I'm going to lay off this conversation. I'd like to see what you all mutually agree to as far as subtitutions go. I have some thoughts, but this team is run by it's players. All of it's players.

I think everyone should play and nobody should be shorted innings. I don't like the idea of "better guys" and "not quite as good with the bat or glove" guys. I realize however, that there is a difference in talent between all of us on the team and we are ultimately trying to win ball games here, so if it's necessary that we examine and possibly change our methods, that's going to have to be voted on and accepted by the team.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

At least in my opinion, I think our team is more focused on having a good time, and if we happen to win, so be it. I know that's how I feel, and I didn't get the impression that Jim Rome's Softball Guy was on our squad.

That said, it truly doesn't matter to me one way or another. The glove won't get me a raise in arbitration next year, but the bat will. At this pace, I'll have 10 RBIs!!!

i think he meant not starting your 10 best players only to have #11-15 or whatever come in and take some of the better players out in the 4th or 5th inning.

One possibility if all 16 guys show up, rotate 9 guys in and out of three positions (say C, 1B, RF) two innings each, and play 7 seven guys full time.

i agree with the idea that there should be a mix of first and second string fielders throughout the game. this will allow for our defense to be average in the early innings, and average in the late innings (as opposed to above average early, and below average late).

for example, let's say a team's fielders were ranked from 1-16 (1 being the best fielder). i think a rotation like the one below would give the team good balance throughout the game.

<span style="text-decoration:underline">INNINGS 1-4</span> <span style="text-decoration:underline">INNINGS 5-7</span> 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

this is the type of substitution pattern iron chef napalm was suggesting (i think?). it allows everybody to play for half of the game, isn't overly complicated with guys switching in and out all of the time, and keeps good balance on defense throughout the game.

obviously this would need to be fine tuned to work in a manner that would allow for people to play their proper positions, but you get the idea.

i agree that this team is meant to be fun, first and foremost. that doesn't mean we shouldn't put our heads together and try and find ways to be successful and win some games.

mix of first and second string fielders throughout the game

---------------

Maybe start the game this way:

OF: Houlie - Ajay - Johnson - Nullbyte

IF: Razzzor - Valpo - Jamie - Iron

B: Fever - Radman

Finish:

OF: Dougjones - Ajay - Jimbo - Colby

IF: Razzzor - Valpo - Roin - Bball

B: Fever - Brian

just a quick question. i dont care so much about playing the field catching really doesnt have much responsiblily until you learn the hitters but, is everyone gonna keep batting the whole game or what are we doing with that?
One Stop Shop For Cell Phone Accessories. Like US On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Wireless/233579846693356

I already let Jamie know earlier this week that I wouldn't be able to attend tonight, and next week is iffy too. All the more reason I was bummed about the 1st & 3rd games being postponed, as May was the only month that was clear for me.

Good luck tonight fellas. I'm especially sorry that I'm going to miss Nicole's yummy & generous feast!

I already let Jamie know earlier this week that I wouldn't be able to attend tonight

Then, Johnson plays RC all game; Jimbo subs for nullbyte (??)

Any feedback?

On edit-

another thought:

Houlie: LF => DH

Ajay: LC

Dougjones: RC => LF

Nullbyte: RF => DH

AJohnson: DH => RC

Jimbo: DH => RF

Sounds fine to me. (See first post for defensive positions by "half").. Whatever we settle on, I'll make a printout and bring it to the game -- that's a lot to remember http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived