Brewer Fanatic

Non-Brewers Free Agent Signings

sveumrules

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corey Knebel to the Phillies on a one year deal according to their Twitter account. Didn't see any dollar amount yet.

One-year $10 million deal. Pricey!

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/phillies-to-sign-corey-knebel.html

I would have liked to seen Knebel back in a Brewer uniform, but yeah $10 million is a lot. I think Brewers interest would have been in the 6-7 million range. Philly could be in sell mode by the deadline, so maybe we can revisit this in July.

Rizzo makes no sense at all for the Brewers. He isn't an impact bat at this point in his career and he is lefthanded when we are desperate for a righty bat. Tellez is probably not much worse than Rizzo and he's cheap.

The Brewers are desperate for a bat from either side. Rizzo posted a .901 OPS against LHP in 2021. He struggled against RHP but some of that was seeing a lot of Woodruff, Burnes and Peralta. At 32, Rizzo is still a tough out and brings a presence. He's also excellent with the glove. If there's a DH in the NL, it makes sense to sign Rizzo, and let Tellez do a lot of DH'ing.

Brewers have pop from the right side with Adames, Urias, and Taylor, all of whom should be in the 25 HR range over a full season. Other than a half season from Tellez who might be the lone lefty bat capable of a 25 HR season, and a good first half from Navarez, they are really lacking from the left side. I'd have no problem with a Rizzo or a Joc Pederson added to the mix. Brosseau is the wild card. He has 16 HR in just over 400 major league AB's.

I'm sure they'll find a RH power bat somewhere once the big boys are done shopping too. Now that Marlins have Garcia, Garrett Cooper might make a nice trade target. Shouldn't take that much to get him.

Corey Knebel to the Phillies on a one year deal according to their Twitter account. Didn't see any dollar amount yet.

I would have liked to seen Knebel back in a Brewer uniform, but yeah $10 million is a lot. I think Brewers interest would have been in the 6-7 million range. Philly could be in sell mode by the deadline, so maybe we can revisit this in July.

Brewers weren’t going to put another 7 million into the bullpen…..especially with Hader and Williams already locking down the 8th and 9th.

I like Corey but Brewers just don’t pay set up guys that kind of money…….especially when we have so many arbitration eligible guys this season and an offense that needs upgrades.

I highly doubt the Brewers have any plans to pay a reliever 6-7 million this season... In fact, I'd bet against it!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Stroman can make 50 million in 2 years and then opt out if he so chooses

Yikes if Stroman can get this I wonder what the return on Peralta, Burnes or Woodruff would be? If the prices on FA pitchers are any indication it looks like Burnes would cost 3 Trouts in value, Woodruff 1.5 Trouts and Peralta 1 Trout? I am just guessing here but it seems like pitching is at a huge premium and I don't think the Brewers would be able to get that value but yikes! Also I wouldn't trade any of the three.

I do wonder if the values that are being spent on FA pitching this off season if someone like Lauer or Hauser could possibly bring in something significant.

Love the way the article says "before injuries derailed his career" right after the paragraph that says someone just gave him 10 million dollars.

If someone wants to mess up my career like that...have at it!

Stroman will be a very good pickup for the Cubs if he stays healthy. Last year he threw sinkers 41.5% of the time, sliders 24.4% of the time, change ups 15.8% of the time and cutters 14.7% of the time. All four of those pitches were on the plus side in terms of effectiveness. He seems to be one of those guys like Greinke, who can probably be good for a long time and overcome dips in velocity because he can throw so many different things at hitters.

5-7 and 180 pounds though. Have to be a bit worried about that. Probably why it's a 3 year deal and not a 5 or 6 year deal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In 4 of the last 5 full seasons (taking out Covid), he's thrown 32 or more starts. Stroman (seems) to buck the trend of "short guy" starters. He's also not a super hard thrower. Unless things start showing up in his 30's, he should be fine.

He pitches to contact, he's not a big velocity guy, he's not got a long history of injuries, and he's honestly got a great track record of success if you look at the advanced metrics. Big time ground ball guy, FIP and xFIP like him a lot. He should be tough on the Brewers (unfortunately) for the next 3 years.