Brewer Fanatic

Non-Brewers Free Agent Signings

sveumrules

I think in today's age of baseball 11 mill for a middle of the road starter is probably close to the going rate. Matzo appeared to make some adjustments at the end of last year, so the Cards may think theyve found something too. This is probably not a 'needle mover', but a solid signing for their rotation.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Escobar to the Mets 2 years 20 million

Would like to have had him back, but this doesn't bother me too much. He just wasn't much of a factor for us down the stretch, but no one else was either offensively I guess.

Best of luck to him.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Probably wrong to speculate on but the question has to be asked if this was an Eppler move or Stearns from behind the curtain knowing he is headed there after next season.

I wonder what the fine/penalty would be from MLB if they found out something like this was going on. So..... no.

Probably wrong to speculate on but the question has to be asked if this was an Eppler move or Stearns from behind the curtain knowing he is headed there after next season.

I wonder what the fine/penalty would be from MLB if they found out something like this was going on. So..... no.

There is no fine that the richest owner in baseball can't pay and if you know anything about Cohen this is the type of thing he would be willing to do. I believe that Stearns has more class than to be working as a double GM this offseason but I wouldn't completely rule it out especially with the way Cohen has run his main business.

*banging head against the wall.

The bolded part is the only portion of this post that is correct.

Until Stearns signs an extension with the Brewers all sorts of wild speculation is going to be out there.

*banging head against the wall.

The bolded part is the only portion of this post that is correct.

Until Stearns signs an extension with the Brewers all sorts of wild speculation is going to be out there.

If wild speculation were happening anywhere, it would be here. It isn't. Well ... it mostly isn't :rolleyes

There is no fine that the richest owner in baseball can't pay and if you know anything about Cohen this is the type of thing he would be willing to do. I believe that Stearns has more class than to be working as a double GM this offseason but I wouldn't completely rule it out especially with the way Cohen has run his main business.

MLB could suspend Stearns for a year. They could strip draft picks. There's more that they could do than just fine the Mets. So.... no.

Gotta admit, my first reaction to the Escobar deal was a snarky internal remark: “Well, at least we have JBJ back for One yeat at $9.5M.” And, I guess, Cain for $18M. And, I guess, Yelich’s extension kicking in to boot. Gulp.

Regardless, back to grounded reality, tho I obviously don’t like the aforementioned contracts I also don’t think losing Escobar is that big of a deal. He faded at the most inopportune time and was relegated to the bench in the NLDS. If he can’t be trusted there, he is more than likely immediately expendable in the FO’s eyes. Is what it is. Agree with others: they desperately need some form of Pop in the Lineup. We are losing Avi and Escobar. I don’t trust any internal options to fill that void.

I would guess...if they found out this happened there would be someone getting banned from the league.

Gotta admit, my first reaction to the Escobar deal was a snarky internal remark: “Well, at least we have JBJ back for One yeat at $9.5M.” And, I guess, Cain for $18M. And, I guess, Yelich’s extension kicking in to boot. Gulp.

Over the last five years the Brewers have spent around 450 million to win 395 games, the Mets have spent around 725 million dollars to win 337 games. They also have Lindor (10/341 remaining), Cano (2/48 remaining) & Carrasco (1/15 remaining) on the books which might make one gulp twice.

No wonder Cohen is apparently banking on the hope he can maybe buy our POBO next year.

Over the last five years the Brewers have spent around 450 million to win 395 games, the Mets have spent around 725 million dollars to win 337 games. They also have Lindor (10/341 remaining), Cano (2/48 remaining) & Carrasco (1/15 remaining) on the books which might make one gulp twice.

No wonder Cohen is apparently banking on the hope he can maybe buy our POBO next year.

I do believe this calls for a ‘Double Gulp’. Cheers!

Mets complete the free agent trifecta today by reportedly signing Starling Marte as well.

I would’ve been pretty happy with the Brewers signing just one of the three players the Mets just added. Looks like the Mets want to get their free agent shopping done before the impending lockout.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Regardless, back to grounded reality, tho I obviously don’t like the aforementioned contracts I also don’t think losing Escobar is that big of a deal. He faded at the most inopportune time and was relegated to the bench in the NLDS. If he can’t be trusted there, he is more than likely immediately expendable in the FO’s eyes. Is what it is. Agree with others: they desperately need some form of Pop in the Lineup. We are losing Avi and Escobar. I don’t trust any internal options to fill that void.

An .800 OPS over the course of his time with the Crew is still useful, especially as an upgrade at first.

Plus, there's the fact we traded someone who probably would have been a solid bench option at C/1B/LF/RF and a DSL lottery ticket.

The Brewers, in general, can't afford these sort of short-term rentals.