Brewer Fanatic

Manny Pina Signs With Braves

ThisIsMyCrew

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great deal for the pineapple. Hope he thrives just enough, but against Milwaukee

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Wow, I don't know why but I was really expecting him to be a Brewer next year. I doubt they'll find a backup catcher as awesome as the pineapple. Quite a bummer.

Me too. At first when I heard this, I was like "okay...that's too bad." Then I started to think about how they are going to replace him and looked at the FA C list and kind of got mad that they let him get away. He is EXACTLY the type of player they need and just happened to be the longest tenured Brewer and they couldn't keep him. Right handed excellent defense veteran clubhouse leading backup catcher with a little pop and a knack for big hits. pffft.

Manny Pina had 13 HRs last year in 208 PA.

Yelich and Hiura combined for 13 HR last year in 672 PA.

This has been your "Where have the bats gone?" post of the day.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I liked Manny a lot. Thought he brought a lot to the game. I would have been happy to have him for another year or two. A bit expensive - and the Crew is always pretty tight on contracts like this. So no surprise.

That said, he's 34 years old, and is not in the best shape. He may not age well. Still, it's modest money and not a long contract.

Thanks, Manny.

I don’t get why the Braves did this with Contreras already in the bigs and Shea Langeliers at AAA.

I don’t see feliciano being in the bigs right away so they’ll have to find a Robinson Chirinos-type placeholder for a platoon

Langeliers only has 5 games at AAA, so he won't be ready to start the year in MLB. Contreras didn't really do anything to earn the starting gig in his 2021 look, so Manny gives them a proven commodity to bridge the gap.

Free agent catchers are pretty ugly. Pipe dream would probably be to swing a deal for Garver from the Twins (150 wRC+ vs LHP over 260 PAs since 2019).

Another trade option could be Pedro Severino from the Orioles (110 wRC+ vs LHP over 359 PAs since 2019) if the Brewers think they can fix his framing (MLB worst -21.9 runs since 2019) like they did with Omar.

I would have been perfectly fine giving that money to Pina, and I think he's a good add for the Braves, but the Brewers seem to do better than the average team at developing and spotting good defensive catchers so it's probably smart to spend elsewhere in FA.
advocates for the devil