Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Brosseau from Rays

Jastro

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like the pickup of Brousseau. He’s a guy we have bandied about for years. I suspect Jace will be replaced unless there is an unexpected injury.

They love Jace. I doubt he goes anywhere. He was actually quite solid with the bat last season as well, so it really isn't a case of "Counsell loves utility guys who cant hit."

[sarcasm]To be fair, Jace surprised everyone last year...that is why he must go.[/sarcasm]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little late here but I love the move. Ever since Stearns has taken over he has improved the team on the margins and I think that is a key to their success. Its a long season and there will be injuries and poor performances, so even improving that 25th man has dividends in the long run.

I honestly think the notion of 'needle-mover' is horse hockey. Assuming what is meant by that is, only the big moves matter....rather, Stearns seems to believe that all those incremental improvements on the fringes add up. If you have a fourth and fifth outfielder who are better than replacement level, those runs count; same with the bullpen, a sixth starter, or a Jace type backup who can get on base and fill in at several positions when needed. That is especially true with the way Counsell uses the roster, and when you factor in injuries. So the question is not Brosseau vs Castellanos, it's Brosseau vs Pablo Reyes or Tim Lopes, and that seems like a clear improvement.

Of course, identifying which weakness can most easily be turned into a strength is a valid strategy, in keeping with all of the above. But every offseason we see teams that make big so-called needle-mover deals get winter praise, only to fizzle when the games start.

I do think it is very likely that Reifert will pitch in the majors, so there is a cost here. Still, considering the little they invested in him as an UDFA, it's spinning straw into gold. Well, maybe gold is an overstatement...spinning straw into something useful but less flashy, like stainless steel?

the last two posters need to be reminded that clubs have 26-man rosters now.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. FYI, sentences start with capital letters as well. Thought someone should let you know.

He will ignore that suggestion, just as he has for years.

I know. I really don’t care, but I thought it was a jerky comment that warranted a reply.

I honestly think the notion of 'needle-mover' is horse hockey. Assuming what is meant by that is, only the big moves matter....rather, Stearns seems to believe that all those incremental improvements on the fringes add up. If you have a fourth and fifth outfielder who are better than replacement level, those runs count; same with the bullpen, a sixth starter, or a Jace type backup who can get on base and fill in at several positions when needed. That is especially true with the way Counsell uses the roster, and when you factor in injuries. So the question is not Brosseau vs Castellanos, it's Brosseau vs Pablo Reyes or Tim Lopes, and that seems like a clear improvement.

Of course, identifying which weakness can most easily be turned into a strength is a valid strategy, in keeping with all of the above. But every offseason we see teams that make big so-called needle-mover deals get winter praise, only to fizzle when the games start.

I do think it is very likely that Reifert will pitch in the majors, so there is a cost here. Still, considering the little they invested in him as an UDFA, it's spinning straw into gold. Well, maybe gold is an overstatement...spinning straw into something useful but less flashy, like stainless steel?

All true, but we do in fact, NEED some big bats in the offense as well as the guys you outlined above. An entire roster of those guys can't get it done, at some point, a "needle mover" just has to be acquired.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Sure, we need one or more corner bats. But criticizing a good but smaller move because it isn't that, in November, is just silly. (This is directed far upthread, not at you.)

And the notion that only a big bat moves the needle is also silly, or that all the moving of the needle has to come in a single big signing or trade. The Brewers do have the advantage of having big obvious weaknesses so that seems like it should make the process a little clearer, but having watched this for many years, I half expect our big adds to be a middle infielder and a starting pitcher.

I also just think needle mover is silly sports media cliche talk that substitutes for thoughtful analysis. The talking heads on ESPN or something say, whoa, Phillies got a real needle mover, and then the Phillies are bad because that needle mover doesn't fix enough holes and yay, the team has a couple of four to five win players but still stinks.

Sure, we need one or more corner bats. But criticizing a good but smaller move because it isn't that, in November, is just silly. (This is directed far upthread, not at you.)

And the notion that only a big bat moves the needle is also silly, or that all the moving of the needle has to come in a single big signing or trade. The Brewers do have the advantage of having big obvious weaknesses so that seems like it should make the process a little clearer, but having watched this for many years, I half expect our big adds to be a middle infielder and a starting pitcher.

I also just think needle mover is silly sports media cliche talk that substitutes for thoughtful analysis. The talking heads on ESPN or something say, whoa, Phillies got a real needle mover, and then the Phillies are bad because that needle mover doesn't fix enough holes and yay, the team has a couple of four to five win players but still stinks.

You and me both. The "needle" is never static. It moves with each addition or subtraction so it doesn't even make sense. What they're really talking about is how far the needle moves not whether it moves at all.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Speaking of needle moving, nobody has garnered bigger headlines through player acquisitions than A.J. Preller and the Padres over the past two years, and they just finished below .500. In baseball there is so much more to roster construction than a few splashy moves.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Speaking of needle moving, nobody has garnered bigger headlines through player acquisitions than A.J. Preller and the Padres over the past two years, and they just finished below .500. In baseball there is so much more to roster construction than a few splashy moves.

I agree, although this is the year I’d like to see a splashy move at 1B. We have most of the other positions filled and I’d like to see Urias get some more time at 3B (but I’d like to see some veteran presence there too, just in case).

If Hiura can figure out how to swing his bat and actually make contact with a baseball again with any regularity at the major league level, we'll have our 1B for super cheap compared to a big, splashy move. While I'd love it to happen & know Hiura's pre-2020 track record, I'm wary given how whacked he's been at the plate for the last two seasons (to be more precise, full-length 2021 & the fraction of a season that was 2020).

I like the Brosseau move. Typical Stearns. I'm guessing there's at least one Adames-like move coming (if it wasn't Brosseau) -- meaning a "non-sexy" acquisition guy with potential who actually starts living up to it in MIL. If more than one move turns out that way, even better. . . . And I'm guessing that the non-sexy but effective move is more likely under Stearns than a "holy crap, we just acquired a total stud" move.

If Hiura can figure out how to swing his bat and actually make contact with a baseball again with any regularity at the major league level, we'll have our 1B for super cheap compared to a big, splashy move. While I'd love it to happen & know Hiura's pre-2020 track record, I'm wary given how whacked he's been at the plate for the last two seasons (to be more precise, full-length 2021 & the fraction of a season that was 2020).

I like the Brosseau move. Typical Stearns. I'm guessing there's at least one Adames-like move coming (if it wasn't Brosseau) -- meaning a "non-sexy" acquisition guy with potential who actually starts living up to it in MIL. If more than one move turns out that way, even better. . . . And I'm guessing that the non-sexy but effective move is more likely under Stearns than a "holy crap, we just acquired a total stud" move.

I don’t know if they can count on Hiura turning it around (and I’m hoping they don’t). If he doesn’t, then we are stuck with a lackluster offense coming out of 1B again. It’d be awesome if he returned to his pre-2020 offense though.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Brosseau has a higher OPS this year than: Javy Baez, Kris Bryant, Corey Seager and Carlos Correa.

Bryant seems to have back issues and Baez OPS is .542.

These seem to be good small sample datapoints In support of not always chasing a ‘needle moving’ deals.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2021 at 9:02 AM, SoCalBrewfan said:

Evan Reifert is having a nice year in the minor leagues for Tampa Bay and has already seen three different levels of the minor leagues (Rookie, A+ and AA). 13 innings,  pitched 25 strike outs, 8 hits allowed, 0 home runs, and 10 walks.  IF he can get the walks under control he probably sees the major leagues sooner than later coming out of the Tampa bullpen.

I like Brosseau and he has good numbers so far, but they sure don't play him much with a mere 14 at bats since coming off the DL 17 days ago. 

I agree.  I wish they would play him more.  His splits are pretty extreme though to the left side.  619 OPS vs RHP and 1010 vs LH.  Small sample so far but that matches pretty close to his career numbers.  Though that has not stopped CC from playing Cutch and Hiura against the wrong-handed pitchers.